Epiphone 56 Gold Top - wow ! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Epiphone 56 Gold Top - wow !

Found one on ' Craigs List' for $325, and when I met the guy at ' Guitar Ctr' and checked her out and plugged her in, what a beautiful axe, the wood, pups sound great, but the bridge is quite a bit hotter than the neck pup. We compared the 56' with some Gibsons they had on the wall & the Epi held her own, the wood was much better, and what's with the baked maple necks even of Gibson Standards ?

Old December 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The 56 Gold Top is Epi's shining star, as many here will attest. For some reason, they really went all out on this model. I love mine. A simple pup adjustment will fix the balance issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00231 2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	156932  
Strat62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

This guitar is still on my wish list. Took a detour recently an picked up a G400 instead. Trying to get back on the road to the goldtop if I can just get that korina flying v outta my head now.

Great find, enjoy!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsman View Post
Found one on ' Craigs List' for $325, and when I met the guy at ' Guitar Ctr' and checked her out and plugged her in, what a beautiful axe, the wood, pups sound great, but the bridge is quite a bit hotter than the neck pup. We compared the 56' with some Gibsons they had on the wall & the Epi held her own, the wood was much better, and what's with the baked maple necks even of Gibson Standards ?
It's a good time to be buying a guitar ain't it? Many a good "bang for the buck" guitars out there. With respect to the baked maple, you ain't been living under a rock have you? They started doing that after the rosewood raid debacle at Gibson. I've never tried one-don't care for how it looks but I've heard it does darken up if you oil it and some guys really do like the feel of it.

Old December 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjholland View Post
It's a good time to be buying a guitar ain't it? Many a good "bang for the buck" guitars out there. With respect to the baked maple, you ain't been living under a rock have you? They started doing that after the rosewood raid debacle at Gibson. I've never tried one-don't care for how it looks but I've heard it does darken up if you oil it and some guys really do like the feel of it.
Nah, not under a rock, just in a basement <g I've known about the baked maple necks, just saying, on a $2200 guitar, come on. IOW, find another wood source & agreed it is a good time.

Old December 20th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Last time I checked, there's a fairly iconic guitar--relatively well know around here--that frequently has a maple fretboard. What's up with that?? I think maple is generally considered a 'pretty good' tonewood.

How is the wood "much better" on your Epiphone? Does China grow better trees?

Old December 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
-------------------------
Friend of Leo's

I love my '56 Goldtop. It's the best Epiphone LP I've ever owned, and that was after I swore off ever buying another one. This one changed my mind. I also bought a wine red Epi LP traditional not long ago that plays equally as well, and sounds great with the coil-tapped Burstbucker style pickups.

A GC near me has a reissue SG Junior that had the baked maple fretboard and it's very light. The guitar has been sitting there for months. Other than the fretboard, there's nothing wrong with it that I can see or feel, but it seems like no one wants it because of the fretboard. They've dropped the price on it, but it still takes up space. A shame. I suppose the fretboard would darken up with oiling.
DrumBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Colo Springs - When you consider all the new Les Paul up to the Trad Plus have baked maple (multi layer) necks & above that plywood rosewood & for the $'s - When even the bolt on Epi Les Pauls have rosewood necks. I guess we agree to disagree.

Old December 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Epi 56 Goldtop has been my main axe for about 6 years, though I love my CV Tele too.

Oddly, mine is much louder on the neck pickup than the bridge, even with them adjusted as high and low as they will go. Caused me to replace the neck PU with a Lollar.
thedroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2012, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned two of them, hope to get another someday. They're great guitars, and an absolute bargain. CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Colo Springs - When you consider all the new Les Paul up to the Trad Plus have baked maple (multi layer) necks & above that plywood rosewood & for the $'s - When even the bolt on Epi Les Pauls have rosewood necks. I guess we agree to disagree.
I can't agree with you, because you don't have your facts straight.

Gibsons don't have maple NECKS... they have mahogany necks, as do Epiphones. Epiphones don't have rosewood NECKS. IF Gibsons had maple necks--I'd have no problem with that at all.

If you can prove to me that a maple fretboard is somehow sonically inferior to a rosewood fretboard, I'm all ears.

But keep in mind, I--like 100s of others here--routinely own and/or play Telecasters with maple necks with maple fretboards. Also, keep in mind, a good number of Gibsons typically have maple caps over mahogany bodies. Maple is an excellent tonewood, used for quite some time on some of the finest guitars in the world.

I'm not sure why they went with maple fretboards on Gibsons and not on Epiphones... but I'm fine with the decision to put it on their American-made instruments, and I love the fact I can buy a brand new American-made Gibson for nearly as cheap as (and in some cases, cheaper than) a Chinese-made Epiphone. Or Indonesia or wherever they're making them these days.

Most Ephiphone "goldtops" I've seen are hideous "sparkle tops" -- they look nothing like a true goldtop. Hopefully they've remedied that and yours looks more like the real deal. The pic of the one I've attached shouldn't be called a goldtop, but maybe yours looks better than this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1epiphone.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	157320  

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Nah, not under a rock, just in a basement <g I've known about the baked maple necks, just saying, on a $2200 guitar, come on. IOW, find another wood source & agreed it is a good time.
I also spend a lot of time in my basement. I also agree with you. Maple is obviously more readily available and less expensive than rosewood so should we expect to pay as much for a maple board Gibson as one with rosewood? Having said that, I'm no luthier and I don't know about the real cost differences of building either type.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjholland View Post
I also spend a lot of time in my basement. I also agree with you. Maple is obviously more readily available and less expensive than rosewood so should we expect to pay as much for a maple board Gibson as one with rosewood? Having said that, I'm no luthier and I don't know about the real cost differences of building either type.
Gibson's pricing scheme has made no sense for decades now. They charge more for guitars that are demonstrably easier and cheaper to make, they charge only a slight bit more for guitars that have features (like the multibound headstocks) that should add a lot to the price. I don't understand it, and I'm sure the combination of some models with huge profit margins and some models with virtually none must give their accounting department fits.
20721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Colo - meant maple fretboards, anyway whatever works for you, have a good Christmas.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Colo - meant maple fretboards, anyway whatever works for you, have a good Christmas.
You as well collins

Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
I'm not sure why they went with maple fretboards on Gibsons and not on Epiphones...
I think it's because Gibson can't import rosewood any more as a result of the lawsuit, hence the switch to "baked" maple. But since Epiphones are made overseas, they're not subject to the same restrictions. That's my guess -- but I've been wrong before. ;-) CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

[QUOTE=Colo Springs E;4671583]I can't agree with you, because you don't have your facts straight.

Gibsons don't have maple NECKS... they have mahogany necks, as do Epiphones. Epiphones don't have rosewood NECKS. IF Gibsons had maple necks--I'd have no problem with that at all.

If you can prove to me that a maple fretboard is somehow sonically inferior to a rosewood fretboard, I'm all ears.

But keep in mind, I--like 100s of others here--routinely own and/or play Telecasters with maple necks with maple fretboards. Also, keep in mind, a good number of Gibsons typically have maple caps over mahogany bodies. Maple is an excellent tonewood, used for quite some time on some of the finest guitars in the world.

I'm not sure why they went with maple fretboards on Gibsons and not on Epiphones... but I'm fine with the decision to put it on their American-made instruments, and I love the fact I can buy a brand new American-made Gibson for nearly as cheap as (and in some cases, cheaper than) a Chinese-made Epiphone. Or Indonesia or wherever they're making them these days.

Just a coupla verrrry minor points...
The Les Paul Deluxe had a Maple Neck with a Rosewood Fretboard.
Many Folks out there err on material when I believe they are actually talking Fretboard Material.
I'd never battle with a potential payday over semantics - the customer, bless his soul is always the expert.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
I think it's because Gibson can't import rosewood any more as a result of the lawsuit, hence the switch to "baked" maple. But since Epiphones are made overseas, they're not subject to the same restrictions. That's my guess -- but I've been wrong before. ;-) CS
I bet you're right Chris.

So other American manufacturers can still import Rosewood, is that right? (PRS, American Fenders, etc)

Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post

Most Ephiphone "goldtops" I've seen are hideous "sparkle tops" -- they look nothing like a true goldtop. Hopefully they've remedied that and yours looks more like the real deal. The pic of the one I've attached shouldn't be called a goldtop, but maybe yours looks better than this one.
Gee, thanks a bunch buddy for attaching a photo of MY Goldtop, and pissing all over it, much appreciated. I will call my guitar a Goldtop thank your very much. I'll remember the favour buddy, you're all class. Season's Greetings.
Telarkaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Telekarster, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. Guilty as charged.

I don't like that finish, just as there are a lot of other colors/finishes I don't like--that's all I was meaning to say. As for 'returning the favour,' feel free to dislike anything I own, it doesn't matter to me. All that matters about any guitar is how much the owner likes it.

Sorry again, Telekaster, I didn't consider that it could hurt the owner's feelings to post a picture of something and denigrate it.