Jaguar models - bridges - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 19th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm gassing for a jag. I want one of my guitars to be short scale. I'm considering these:

1) The Classic Player JaguarŪ Special guitar with Adjusto-Matic™ bridge, 9.5” fingerboard radius

2) Model Name: American Vintage '65 JaguarŪ
Bridge: Vintage Style Floating Tremolo with Tremolo Lock Button. 7.5" radius.

3) Fender Japan also seems to have some quality jags. I think they have a smaller radius fretboard 184 mm (7 Inches)

I'd like to hear whether the adjust o matic bridge on the classic player changes the sound appreciably.
The traditional bridge was supposed to have problems with round wound strings and was designed for flat wounds. Is this true?
Does anybody use round wounds on the traditional bridge? Any probs?
What about flat wounds on the ajustomatic?

What do you think of the Japanese models? What would the effect of smaller radius be on playability?

Tele Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I got a blacktop p90 model a couple weeks ago, with AoM bridge. First time I had ever tinkered with one. (My les pauls never been messed with) I like it. It's actually now my favorite. And I've come to like the short scale. I slapped a new set of EB Cobalt on, made a couple adjustments and I love it.
lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Flatwounds on adjustomatic here. I don't like the adjustomatic because I can't adjust each saddle, which irritates me. It works fine, but I want to find some sort of original bridge with the spacing, or a 9.5 mastery bridge, which I don't think they make.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 19th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele Jack View Post
I'm gassing for a jag. I want one of my guitars to be short scale. I'm considering these:

1) The Classic Player JaguarŪ Special guitar with Adjusto-Matic™ bridge, 9.5” fingerboard radius

2) Model Name: American Vintage '65 JaguarŪ
Bridge: Vintage Style Floating Tremolo with Tremolo Lock Button. 7.5" radius."

3) Fender Japan also seems to have some quality jags. I think they have a smaller radius fretboard 184 mm (7 Inches)

I'd like to hear whether the adjust o matic bridge on the classic player changes the sound appreciably.
The traditional bridge was supposed to have problems with round wound strings and was designed for flat wounds. Is this true?
Does anybody use round wounds on the traditional bridge? Any probs?
What about flat wounds on the ajustomatic?

What do you think of the Japanese models? What would the effect of smaller radius be on playability?
The Japanese models are ok when it comes to build quality. As good as the Mexican Classic Player models, in my opinion. The American Vintage Reissues are much nicer. I have a Japanese Reissue from a few years back. Stock pickups were awful, though. Very thin and weak sounding. Even the Duncan Design pickups on the new Squier VM's sound better. The bridge on mine was also horrible. The saddle grooves were not cut deep enough and the strings would easily jump off the grooves so I swapped it out for a Mustang bridge. After changing the bridge and the pickups it became a much better instrument, but if I could do it over I would spend the money on an AVRI Jaguar.

The Classic Player models are different. Pickups are hotter, the bridge is certainly an improvement over the original design, and the tremolo unit is positioned closer to the bridge to improve sustain. Fretboard radius is also different, but not drastic enough to affect playability. My brother has a Classic Player Jaguar and I actually have a Classic Player Jazzmaster that I like it a lot. It certainly didn't have any of the issues that my Japanese Jaguar had. I did try flat wounds on my CP Jazzmaster with no problems whatsoever, but I just prefer the brighter sound of round wound strings.

If money is not an issue and you want Jaguar with a more vintage vibe and feel, get an AVRI Jaguar. If you want an instrument better suited to more modern styles of rock and don't want the hassles associated with vintage spec models, go with the Classic Player. If you're on a budget and want a more vintage styled Jag, but can't afford the AVRI then take a look at the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

On the original, it doesn't matter if you use flats or rounds. The important thing is you use heavier strings - probably at least .011s.

The problem is there is low pressure on the bridge from the strings, making it easy to knock them out of place - especially the low E. You can however deepen the groove with a welding torch cleaner file. That works great and solved the problem for me.
Uma Floresta is offline   Reply With Quote