NGD Cort Source - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 19th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

NGD Cort Source

I have GOT to stop going into guitar stores. I found a used black Cort Source ES-335 copy for under $200. It is in great shape. Couldn't pass it up. At least the bridge pickup is not original. It looks like the GFS "Vintage Split Humbucker-Classic Fender Style" but not sure if it is the GFS or if another pickup maker makes one like it. It really sounds sweet! Bridge pickup has plenty of bite and twang. Neck is just right and it is very well set up. It is black and that is a downside for me. Black guitars collect more fingerprints than the FBI, but that is the only issue. For the sound, feel and versatility, I just had to have it. Semi hollows have to be the Humbucker version of a Tele. You can play them in any kind of venue.

I took pics, but don't currently have the cable to upload it to my computer. Pics to follow as soon as possible.

Last edited by rsclosson; April 19th, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
rsclosson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Congrats! I want Source BV (P-90 model) but haven't found one in local stores.
elelpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Is this a new-ish one? They had a Cort 335-alike at GC the last time I was there and it was reeeeeealy hard to leave it there. It did have a built-in tuner thingy on one of the vol/tone pots. Does yours have that feature?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 20th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannew02 View Post
Is this a new-ish one? They had a Cort 335-alike at GC the last time I was there and it was reeeeeealy hard to leave it there. It did have a built-in tuner thingy on one of the vol/tone pots. Does yours have that feature?
No, mine does not have that feature.

Aside from that, it is really nice. I ran it through its paces at home with all the different tone possibilities and it sounds great at any setting. I could use this on any kind of gig that comes up. I have been playing more sax gigs than guitar lately, so I am not sure when I can gig test it, but I sure look forward to trying it out.

I removed the picguard and really dig the look without it.

Last edited by rsclosson; April 20th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
rsclosson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Just found out that my neck pickup is a Lindy Fralin P92. No wonder the durn thing sounds so great! I took a bunch of pics but with the pickguard still on. I am going to take some in its present state and put up. This just keeps getting better and better!

Old June 26th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I just won a black Bigsby B70 at an auction and ordered a black roller bridge from GFS. I am going to put up progressive pictures of the changes I am making to the guitar. I am toying with the idea of getting black pickup covers as well. That might be harder to find; especially for the Fralin.

Old June 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! I've found that the way to buy is to buy used. Most times people are either upgrading, getting rid of something they're not using so they can upgrade (or admit they don't want to learn), or getting rid of something they never really wanted anyway. There are some really incredible deals to be found.

And the cure for buying? Yes, don't go near the music stores. That's what I'm trying to do, and it's not working. GAS is too powerful for me! But the only way I'll quit buying gear is by quiting going to where the gear is. Some day.

Anyway, congratulations again on a great find!

"I never practice my guitar... from time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." - Wes Montgomery
idjster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjster View Post
Congratulations! I've found that the way to buy is to buy used. Most times people are either upgrading, getting rid of something they're not using so they can upgrade (or admit they don't want to learn), or getting rid of something they never really wanted anyway. There are some really incredible deals to be found.

And the cure for buying? Yes, don't go near the music stores. That's what I'm trying to do, and it's not working. GAS is too powerful for me! But the only way I'll quit buying gear is by quiting going to where the gear is. Some day.

Anyway, congratulations again on a great find!
Good luck w/ that! Part of the fun is going through the GC used section and finding great deals. I figure if I don't like it, I can always resell it and even make a few bucks sometimes (yeah CL).
dqami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I finally found some time to install the Bigsby. It looks great on the guitar. I got a black roller bridge from GFS and it fits perfectly. My only issue left is what to do with the two holes from the original tailpiece. I am kind of anal and don't want to just leave them. One thing I thought of is to get another roller tailpiece. The studs fit the holes perfectly and it would add maybe a little more stability and look like it was there for a reason. (I know. It sounds kind of goofy, but it would look better, to me, than two open holes.) The rollers would prevent additional friction.
Anyway, pictures to come soon.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Forgot to mention that the Bigsby also made a big difference in the sound. Not sure why, but it added sustain and plenty of "zing." (Don't know what else to call it.)

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqami View Post
Good luck w/ that! Part of the fun is going through the GC used section and finding great deals. I figure if I don't like it, I can always resell it and even make a few bucks sometimes (yeah CL).
Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I've never been able to buy guitars by mail/internet/telephone order, and never through ebay or CraigsList either. I know I may be missing some great deals, but I need to be able to hold a guitar and play it, usually numerous times, before I decide if it resonates with me or not (resonates, get it? Guitar joke! ). I guess I've just never had the spare cash to take a chance with.

Seriously, though, I really have to play it to decide if it is what I want, so, to this point I've been able to pass up buying guitars online, even from reputable sources. YMMV.

"I never practice my guitar... from time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." - Wes Montgomery
idjster is offline   Reply With Quote