Small, hollow body guitar with mini humbuckers and tremolo - suggestions - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Small, hollow body guitar with mini humbuckers and tremolo - suggestions

I'm thinking my next purchase should be something with mini humbuckers. Or maybe p90s or filtertrons. Basically not standard humbuckers or single coils.

I do like a hollow or semi hollow body. I'm also thinking I'd like it to be not a massive body. Not wide, not deep. Something you could comfortably sit on the sofa and noodle away on.

I also like a tremolo.

Any suggestions for something that fulfils the above, and can be got for under, ooh, £500 GBP (used is fine), and is available in the UK?

I don't ask for much.

hessodreamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

A Reverend maybe?

KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

best bang for your buck IMHO would be a used Cort M800 or M1200. Unreal build quality and I bet you could pick one up for around $500.
daniel89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Spme of those Epi "Kat" guitars look cool...AlleyKat is one...I've forgotten the names.
I played one recently. Had a humbucker at the bridge and a mini humbucker at the neck.
There is another with P90s...
charlie chitlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

How about this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g54..._jet_black.htm

It's pretty much standard LP size, semihollow, Filtertrons and a tremolo.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I love my DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe.

http://www.dipintoguitars.com/product.php?id=3

http://www.dipintoguitars.com/product.php?id=4

voodoo_idol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Agile Harm
http://www.rondomusic.com/product3268.html
Codger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Epiphone Wildkat meets your qualifications except it has P90s instead of mini-humbuckers. i love mine:

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekawi View Post
Epiphone Wildkat meets your qualifications except it has P90s instead of mini-humbuckers. i love mine:

I don't know if Musiciansfriend ships to the UK, but these are price dropped to $299 right now. If I had a job I'd be ordering one myself.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Teleholder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i tried one of those wildcats. look pretty nice but feel like a 50$ guitar imo. pickups pretty dull, a few dead spots, kept fretting out, string buzz across the fretboard with pretty high action..

maybe i played just a dog or a setup would do all the difference, but i wasn't impressed at all.
chrom-freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Your description matches my 1966 Guild Starfire III, single cutaway, mini-humbuckers and a Bigsby with a thin neck profile (if you like that sort of thing!) You might also really enjoy a 60s Gibson ES-125TDC, that's the guitar George Thorogood is known for. It rocks with a Bigsby but watch the feedback! Gretsches are pretty cool too for those of use who like to be different.

Good luck in your search, that's a fun toy to research, gonna have to turn over some bushes to find the right one though, not the sort of guitar they sell by the dozen at the big box store! :-)

Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Tonyp's mention of the Gibson ES-125 reminded me of the Epiphone Sorrento reissues from the mid 90's. . Basically the same guitar as an ES-125. Florentine cutaway, P-90's, used usually around $450-$500ish. I've had one on my wish list for a long time.
Teleholder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrom-freak View Post
i tried one of those wildcats. look pretty nice but feel like a 50$ guitar imo. pickups pretty dull, a few dead spots, kept fretting out, string buzz across the fretboard with pretty high action..

maybe i played just a dog or a setup would do all the difference, but i wasn't impressed at all.
you probably tried a lemon. i got mine used and it was set up really well by the tech at the store. i've got flatwound strings on mine...plays great.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Those Epi kats look interesting. Ugly headstock, though!

There's been some interesting and unusual guitars suggested, like the DiPinto and Reverends, but I might me disinclined to go for one without being able to play one first. Not sure if my local stores stock them, but I'll keep my eye out.

The guild Starfire would be pretty sweet. It would go nicely with my DeArmond starfire IV with goldtones, which is a pretty sweet guitar. The guild Starfire III looks like the DeArmond starfire special, except the special has 2k single coils instead of minibuckers. The body's a bit bigger than I was thinking. But I've heard the guild starfires are super sweet!

So far the gretsches are looking like a good buy. They do have a nice small body, though most of the lower end ones are chambered rather than hollow/semi hollow. Does this give a difference in the type/amount of feedback generated? I like the feedback a semi hollow body gives! But who doesn't love a gretsch?
hessodreamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you want something smaller body, in the Guild line, they have fantastic guitars but are going to be very hard to find. Any Guild could have a Bigsby installed, if you want. I've been looking for a Peregrine, which is sort of like a Taylor T-x guitar but with a smaller body. Gibson also makes a songwriter traveller. Line 6 has the Variax steel string acoustic line. The lower the number, the lighter and cheaper they are. I had a 300 that was very light. My band leader has a 700 that's also light. I played a 900 yesterday, which is a tank. If you find a later Bluesbird (Guild again), that's chambered, so a bit lighter. There are the quandry of Korean copycat semi hollows (Tradition, Silvertone, Samick, Schecter, PRS) but you're likely going to have to aftermarket a bigsby. There are some other Gibsons that I can't remember the names to. Smaller bodies than the ES anything line. From a lightness/tone perspective, don't write off a Fender Tele thinline. Oh....there's an Ibanez small body semi hollow. All of the ones I've seen are solid color satin finish.

You do need to pay attention to detail on all of these guitars. As mentioned, full hollow body archtops can potentially feedback with lots of stage noise. I have a 69 Guild Studio 302 fully hollow that I play on stage only rarely and we're using in-ear monitors, so I get no feedback. The smaller guitar will feedback less, even if they're full hollow.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote