How much does a refret affect value? (1958 Jazzmaster content) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

How much does a refret affect value? (1958 Jazzmaster content)

Hey All,

Here is my baby, a true 1958 Jazzmaster.

The guitar is in very good shape, and the only non-original thing about it is a very well done fret job w/ vintage frets done by Lin and Gruhn Guitars.

I'm wondering if I can get some opinions about how much a professionally done refret would affect the value of a vintage instrument like this?

Appreciate your input!

BT

bterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'd guess it won't hurt the value at all as long as the same fret size was used.

Nice example, sunbursts rule !
Wyzsard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yes, he used the vintage wire for the refret...that's my favorite!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi BT

I'd say it depends.

If there's a professionally done fretjob, why should it affect the value of the guitar? O.k., with every refret the fretboard gets a little thinner, but OTOH it just shows that this guitar has been played, and that's what they're here for, isn't it?

Fenders are easier to refret because of the lack of binding. Gibbos can be tricky to refret because of the binding, which extents to the base of the frets (called "nibs"). A perfect fretjob would also include a rebinding. If it's worth it, o.k.

I had recent fretjob done on my 1967 Gibson Trini Lopez. I had the nibs just removed, new frets are over the binding.

In this case maybe the value of the guitar is affected, I don't know. To me as a player certainly not, for a collector who just wants to look at his guitars or put them in a vault, maybe.

Cheers!

Mike

PS: nice guitar, and nice amp, man!

Barney Kessel
Rhubarb Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hey, thanks!

True about the fretboard...it's funny, these early slab boards have a huge amount of rosewood, it's thick as hell! Still has much more rosewood on the slab after the refret than my '61 slab board w/ original frets!

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

****, as far as I am concerned it should increase the value. I would love to play that guitar. Not look at it, but play it! Refinishes and hardware replacements are a different story.

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I would think it would be worth a lot more re-fretted than if you didn't if it was professionally done.........I highly doubt you will be selling it anyway nice guitar

"You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"
rolling56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yeah, no way I'm selling - just wondering about refrets and vintage instruments, mostly...I've always wondered if it affects the value the same way a refin or missing parts do.

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Telefied

It wont decrease the value by much if its done so good it looks stock if there are any marks left behind that werent there then it will.

As with anything vintage if you want to sell it just disclose its got replaced frets.

Ads that always bug me say 100% original except frets tuners pots and pickups well then why even say 100% original? LOL

Since your fretjob was done by a well known vintage shop and vintage guitar seller it wont loose much.

A refin devalues it the most. Missing original parts makes it loose value too frets are abouyt the least thing thats gonna devalue it cause they have to be good to play it.

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hey, thanks -

Not one mark in the rosewood from the refret - just a perfect job and they must not have taken much off at all. I doubt you would even notice it was a refret after a few years of play wear, which there will be!

I also dislike the 100% followed by the...

Just say what it is!

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't refret 1958 Jazzmaster!! If it's 100% original, it won't be if you refret it. Buy new neck if you want to play it, then if you want sell it, you just put old neck back. That's my opinion.
Urban is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hey, thanks Urban - but, to me, that's like saying don't put nice new tires on a '64 Jag - how the hell are you supposed to drive it if the tires are flat?

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterry View Post
Hey, thanks Urban - but, to me, that's like saying don't put nice new tires on a '64 Jag - how the hell are you supposed to drive it if the tires are flat?
Word

Beautiful Jazzmaster!

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Since Gruhn guitars did the refret, get a new value estimate from them. It used to be $10 for them to do a valuation, but it's been quite a few years since I have had one done.
garymaddox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sweet guitar!!! I agree that refrets are essential to play. A new neck on that guitar would just not be the same, at all. Half the mojo is in that neck. With anything vintage and highly sought after make sure it is done by the best. You aren't selling it anyways, but even if you did you can get top dollar for it. I'm sure whoever is in charge of that re-fret will take very good care and do their best work.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymaddox View Post
Since Gruhn guitars did the refret, get a new value estimate from them. It used to be $10 for them to do a valuation, but it's been quite a few years since I have had one done.
Yeah, sounds like a lot of folks aren't familiar with George. To some (including himself) the fact that he was actually in the same building with it made it increase in value. I think they were closer to $50 the last time I heard but that was just second hand I heard it. Could be a lot less and it really is worth it. I may say bad things about him from time to time but he really knows his stuff and I do respect his opinion.

Refret on rosewood? I'd guess from $150-350. At Gruhn's probably on the higher end. Again, probably worth it because he is so respected in the vintage world.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If done well, not at all - maybe even increase it
Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Strings wear out, frets wear out, necks need to be reset (unless your guitar has a bolt-on neck like a tele, of course). New frets (using the same fret wire, of course) should only increase the value of any vintage guitar relative to the same guitar with worn-out frets. In the case of a completely unplayed pristine example it would negatively affect the value--but why would you be replacing the frets in that case?
fuzzworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. If the guitar is anything less than museum quality, then a refret will have no effect on the value of the guitar if it is done well. Magnificent guitar BTW, some really nice Jazzmasters on TDPRI in the past few days.
backsideslappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I agree with what fuzzyworks says. Your gret guitar is not in mint condition, and a refret would possibly increase the value if you plan to sell it. If not you have a great vintage guitar that plays, sounds and feels great.

DOGMA Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote