The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

NGD - Who buys this stuff?!?! Cozart SST10 12-String

If you've wondered, "Who would take a chance on a $75.00 electric 12 string on 'that auction site'?", well, that would be me.

Cozart Electric 12 String Guitar
by johnmccann1, on Flickr

If you're curious about what the guts look like, here's a slideshow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3938911...94455460/show/

Cozart SST10 12-String Electric: I'll be using this 12 string for home recording. 12-string through a DigiTech RP155 amp modeler / effects pedal and then direct to BOSS BR-600 recorder. I love all of the old 60s folk-rock stuff. This will get the job done. What components might need upgrading? I've swapped out the white guard for a budget red tortoiseshell guard. Until and unless something actually breaks, that'll be it. Would I spend the $75.00 again? Absolutely.

Last edited by stillrockin; March 31st, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
stillrockin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That's a steal at $75; you couldn't come close to building one for that money. Those pups are decent too-I put a set like that in my daughter's SX Strat. Big improvement. Congrats!
Strat62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a Tele 12 I'm working on, same manufacturer, from a kit. I got some pearoid buttons to lighten up the headstock, the tuners are Gotoh knockoffs that should be ok with proper tightening. I trashed all of the electronics...Fender Vintage Noiseless pups, Fender control plate/4 way switch/top hat knob/250K pots w/22 mfd cap/jack ferrel, Fender white pearl pickguard, pearl toped knobs, switchcraft 1/4" jack. The bridge is good though! I'd like to route it out for a Taipan Tone Bar but damn if I can figure out how to order one. The neck is straight and nice and wide (unlike a Strat 12 I have) and fits the neck pocket perfectly. The neck and top are antique yellow and the sides are a dark brown and the back a lighter brown. It's lacquer is curing now ready to be buffed out. The electronics are REALLY cheap, with the time/effort I've invested it wouldn't make sense to keep that stuff. All you put together adds up to the sum of its parts. The only niggle I have with the Tele is the back ferrals are off (hence the tone bar...I MAY just make one). I saw a used Tele/mandolin dual neck Cozart not too long ago at Sam Ash for $275.00 w/case that was actually pretty well put together, I was pretty impressed. Cozart makes some really weird stuff you can be sure...You got yourself a great deal there for $75.00!
benderb9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

@Strat62-- I agree, the pickups are nice. They've got adequate output and they're plenty bright for picking up octave notes.
@benderb9-- Shoot me a PM when you post pics of your finished 12-string tele project. I'd love to see it.

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Nice ! never see deals like that ton this side of the water!
IB62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Short Demo is Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-XJ9aQjAWs

Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Here's the demo:

Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Does anyone have the Cozart assembly instruction they can post? Love to have them as I misplaced mine for a tele. Thanks!
mcarafa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have the LP copy 12string from cozart,right out of the box it was sweet action,but the knobs all got smashed as well as the pots and wood around the pots during shipping.new knobs and pots and hopurs of gluing ,filling filing and its back together.it looks awesome,but the humbuckers are way to hot for a decent 12 string sound..maybe i need 250k pots.
hupur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Restarting the thread I suppose. I just bought one of these Cozart 12 strings at auction, new, for $101 (76 + 25 shipping). They usually for closer to 100, but I've been bidding on a series to get one cheap and got lucky. There is someone who always has a few of these and Teles up for auction at any one time.

I was going to swap it around on a Tele body, but may just leave the two pieces together. The pickups are fair, but I have an old set of Reissue MIJ Strat pickups that will probably find their way inside, along with new pots (1 vol, 1 tone, I hate the vol. next to the pickups on strats...)

The neck is quite good, needs just a tweak on the rod, maybe a 16th bow up when I got it. It is nice and wide at the nut, like an acoustic 12 string, so much easier to actually play arpeggios and traditional chords. Tuners are typical "good" Chinese. The finish and body is actually really nice, even nicer than the photos show and much nicer than they show in the auctions. Very professional. Bridge is good enough to keep and you can set intonation for each string individually, to a degree. Haven't looked inside, but going to change pots and shield it regardless.

The whole guitar is insanely light, well under 6 pounds. It is a bit neck heavy, but not annoyingly so (this is one reason the strat is likely a better guitar for 12, since the longer horn shifts the center of gravity towards the headstock). No skunk stripe on it, but still seems substantial without feeling like a 2x4. Intonation is tricky to setup but not too bad. Plenty playable out of the box, but I'm upgrading the electronics so I can drag it on stage for a song or two. Play wise, it plays exactly like an electric 12 should, not much more effort than a 6 string. I can pick on it for an hour without getting tired. Factory strings were a bit rusty, of course.

Worth $200+ pretty easy, which made getting it for $101 that much sweeter

Old November 27th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

When I was selling my '79 strat, I had a guy offer me one of these in trade. The pic didn't show the headstock, so I asked what it was, he said it was a Cozart, "hand made custom". I guess since it was made from a kit, it was a "hand made custom". I did a little research and made the tough decision not to trade my '79 for a $100 guitar.

Looks really good for the money though.

Old November 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

very cool!
vintage clubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torz Johnson View Post
When I was selling my '79 strat, I had a guy offer me one of these in trade. The pic didn't show the headstock, so I asked what it was, he said it was a Cozart, "hand made custom". I guess since it was made from a kit, it was a "hand made custom". I did a little research and made the tough decision not to trade my '79 for a $100 guitar.

Looks really good for the money though.
Yeah, glad you didn't either. And if I needed a 12 string for making money, I would spend the money for a nicer one. It surely isn't a 1200-1700 Fender 12 string, but Fender could spent an hour on setup/details, add some better pots and tuning machines, slap a Fender label on it and sell it for $600 pretty easy. PUs are already in the MIM range, I'm just changing because I have the MIJ 57s and haven't done anything with them in 15 years, as I play Teles. The finish itself is at least as good as any MIM Tele I've owned, which is quite a few.

But if you wanted to screw around with a 12 string that is pretty good right out of the box, and can be made damn good with a little effort, I highly recommend them. Especially since 100+ is dirt cheap. The neck alone is worth that.