Best Year For A Vintage Les Paul - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Best Year For A Vintage Les Paul

Excluding the '59 Les Paul which is like the most coveted and valuable guitar around. In your opinion what is the best year for a vintage Les Paul. I've heard '71 and '76 but I'd really like to get you guys opinion.

I know that all guitars a different but there must be some consensus that a certain year that Gibson got the closest to perfection and I'd like to know what you guys think...

dkbemb10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

What do you want it for?

1.) Are you going to play it on gigs?

2.) Are you a "collector" who wants to lock it away?

If the answer is #1, then get an R7, R9 or an R0; depending on your tastes.

If the answer is #2, then get a real '59 or a '60 LP.

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbemb10 View Post
Excluding the '59 Les Paul which is like the most coveted and valuable guitar around. In your opinion what is the best year for a vintage Les Paul. I've heard '71 and '76 but I'd really like to get you guys opinion.

I know that all guitars a different but there must be some consensus that a certain year that Gibson got the closest to perfection and I'd like to know what you guys think...
Well, if you're talking vintage, the 57 GT, 58, or 60 Les Paul will play every bit as well and sound as great as a 59. 59 is just the year that so many rock stars gravitated to in the late 60s. They are all double bucker maple topped with mahogany body and neck. Next would be the Black Customs from 57-60 (some report a few 61 single cutaway Les Paul Customs were made). Then the earlier 50s Custom with the staple Alnico pup and P90. Then the 53-56 standards with P90s. Then the 68, then 69. After that, I think that the modern Henry J era guitars, even the standards, are just as good if not better.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

'52

"If it ain't broke, Mod it till it is"
"Born at the junction of form and function...It's the Hammer of the Honky Tonk Gods"
msfenderarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Any year is a good year to buy a vintage Les Paul.

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcole_sooner View Post
+1 With some exceptions, Gibsons have maintained good quality throughout the years. With some bootek pickups, just about any Gibson nowadays will give a vintage a run for the money. Just takes some time to find the one that speaks to you.
As far as collectability, the '70-'86 Norlins have a bad name, but as I said, there are lemons and diamonds in every year. With Gibsons, you have to put your hands on and play each one to determine its value.

Last edited by kidmo; October 7th, 2010 at 03:13 AM.
kidmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcole_sooner View Post
I respectfully disagree. The best year to buy a '59 Gold Top, for example, was 1960...

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Is this a rhetorical question, or is the OP ready to spend $$$ in the 5 to 6 figure range? Just asking...by the way, my vote is for the '57 Gold Top.
dan1952 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

'54 Gold Top.

I mean. Look at it....

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No I'm not spending the money... It's just the owner of the guitar store I always go to says that he "got a '71 les paul because that was the year that gibson got everything right". So I just wanted to see if you guys agreed or not. I've played two 1971 les pauls and I can't really see why my shop owner thought they were hands down the best les pauls ever made.

Personally the best Les Paul I ever played was a '76, infact that was probably the best guitar I ever played period.

So yeah, sorry, I should have stated from the beginning that I just wanted an opinion and wasn't actually buying one.
dkbemb10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

As a long-time Les Paul guy, I have to say that I think the owner of the shop is totally FOS saying that 1971 was "the year that Gibson got everything right." Maybe there were some great Les Pauls made in 1971, but I totally disagree with his blanket statement. Each guitar is an individual and has to be evaluated on its own merits. There are great ones and tone turds from every year and every manufacturer.

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That owner probably just had a 71 Les Paul when he was young, gigging regularly, getting laid, and having a ball, and now he associates those experiences with the guitar.

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The owner is completely wrong. I once owned a '71 Les Paul Custom and the workmanship on it was absolutely terrible--sloppy binding, bridge placed so poorly that it wouldn't intonate and had to be relocated, frets that were literally sharp-edged, three piece neck, "pancake" body, lousy tuners. I was young and didn't know any better at the time, but got the guitar at a good price and was able to mod it into a good player.

While it's true that you can find good and bad guitars of any year, and I'm sure there are plenty of nice '71 Gibsons, in general by the time the '60s were over, Gibson's quality control had taken a turn for the worse. By the late '70s, it was a joke--I worked in a Sam Ash during that time and saw some literally really ugly stuff like Les Paul Customs with terribly mismatched tops, maple-neck Les Pauls (ugh!), "The Paul," the RD Series, the Marauder, the Sonex guitars and other stomach-turners. Things started to turn around in the early '80s.
Radspin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Well, I don't like LPs unless someone else is playing them. But being such an open minded person I've always picked up the ones that are priced for regular human beings, just to make sure they're really as awful as I remembered. The last one was a '74, a second, a Deluxe, and routed for full size pups. Beautifully worn looking, plays too easy like they all seem to, and actually sounds really good unplugged. Then I plugged it in. Took it home in its original case. I can now say with absolute certainty that the best vintage LP (other than a 59 or 60) is mine. Way better than a '71 for sure.
telemnemonics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post
I think the owner of the shop is totally FOS saying that 1971 was "the year that Gibson got everything right." Maybe there were some great Les Pauls made in 1971, but I totally disagree with his blanket statement.
I agree. Your shop owner's not making an awful lot of sense.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I worked in a shop in the '70s. Les Pauls were very poorly made at that time. I had to dress frets on almost every one of them. The routing of the pick-up cavity was so poor they put plastic rings around the pickups. We call them F up rings. It's not unlike the American car business. The poor quality of Fender and Gibson in the '70s opened the door for the Japanese.

As far as the opening question about the best year other than '59. Here are some differences the '50s humbucker era:

'57 Goldtop-one of my favorites. Last '50s production year of the goldtop.
'58 Burst-big neck/small frets
'59 Burst-big neck/big frets
'60 Burst-thin neck/big frets

I have an old goldtop with PAFs. It's hard to beat!
telejake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I had a '71 Deluxe that made everybody want it.
Once my luthier called because he had an amazing guitar player (a guy named Nick Moroch, who played with Lenny White, I think) who wanted it soooooo bad.
I kept it, but had to sell it a few years ago to pay bills :(
charlie chitlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radspin View Post
By the late '70s, it was a joke--I worked in a Sam Ash during that time and saw some literally really ugly stuff like Les Paul Customs with terribly mismatched tops, maple-neck Les Pauls (ugh!), "The Paul," the RD Series, the Marauder, the Sonex guitars and other stomach-turners. Things started to turn around in the early '80s.
You're right, some of the LP Customs of that era are plain ugly. I have also seen some awful mismatched (3 piece!!) tops on them.

And the RD, Marauder, Sonex, etc--fuggheddaboutit!

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

For overall quality in workmanship and materials, you'd have to say the 50's. You just have to pick your flavor - GT, Flame, P90 or HB.

Next I would say the current offerings from the CS - I have a '05 RO that I love.

As for '71 being the year that Gibson finally got it together - was he trying to sell you a '71 LP?

I had a '72 Custom that wasn't bad but I didn't keep it either. It was nowhere as nice as my RO though.

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard 2003 was good year. (I know its not vintage)
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote