Peavey T-60 Guitar - Tell Me About Them... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey T-60 Guitar - Tell Me About Them...

I have seen one come on our local CL now and then. I have always thought the body shape was kinda cool. What are they made of? What type of pickups are those? Any info would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old July 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I heard that they are very heavy, but apart from that they seem to be built nicely, and are certainly a cheap american made guitar
stranded horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Made in the USA, Peavey's first production guitar designed by Chip Todd. First ones were made around 79' out of Northern Ash and were pretty heavy. Bi-laminated maple neck very thin front to back. Two humbuckers that can be switched to single coils by using the tone knobs. This circuit was designed for Peavey by Red Rhoades. I had a bunch of them and they are good sounding quality guitars I just don't like the skinny neck.A Tele neck is a direct replacement for the T-60 neck. I still have a T-40 fretless bass that i got from Chip Todd that belonged to R.T. Lowe, the director of guitar production at the time.
JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Made in the USA, Peavey's first production guitar designed by Chip Todd. First ones were made around 79' out of Northern Ash and were pretty heavy. Bi-laminated maple neck very thin front to back. Two humbuckers that can be switched to single coils by using the tone knobs. This circuit was designed for Peavey by Red Rhoades. I had a bunch of them and they are good sounding quality guitars I just don't like the skinny neck.A Tele neck is a direct replacement for the T-60 neck. I still have a T-40 fretless bass that i got from Chip Todd that belonged to R.T. Lowe, the director of guitar production at the time.
So that means the neck would be thinner than a standard MIM Tele?

Old July 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by castpolymer View Post
So that means the neck would be thinner than a standard MIM Tele?
Yes - quite a bit thinner. About the shallowest neck I've ever played.

I owned one and they are top quality build-wise, very innovative and effective electronics, nice sounding pickups in both full bucker and split mode, really cool guitars all around but man that neck was so thin, I would cramp up on it within 20 mins. And they are pretty heavy. Ended up selling my matching T-40 and T-60 set, the T-40 to the bassist in my band and the T-60 on CList. Bottom line - if you can get on with the neck, these are steals on the used market.

Here's the pair I had:

Singin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Got to add that it was the first CNC machined guitar, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think the CNC idea originated from Chip Todd. He is ,among many other things, a gunsmith and CNC machines were being used to make gun stocks. I've often considered getting another T-60 and swapping out the neck with a nice full Tele neck.

Old July 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had one back in the day, +1 on all the comments above. Mine was one of the first ones, with the northern white ash body, and it was god-awful heavy... but sounded great. The later, solid-color models were apparently made from alder, and are much lighter... played one of those last year, and was much better on my back (and still sounded great). Wouldn't mind getting another one for a good price, but it's not too high on my wish list-a tweed deluxe is far higher up (surprise, surprise!)

Franc Robert
www.bluechihuahuarecords.com
backalleyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, the Peavey T-60 is incredibly heavy - NOT - my T-40 bass weighs as much as 9.1/2-lb !!!

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a Peavey Patriot. It's a really nice,well made(in the USA) guitar.I love it. I wouldn't hesitate to by the T-60 if you could get it for a good price.

MaskedRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great sounding pickups.
gitold is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The T-60's I've played all had the skinny neck--maybe find a Predator Neck (much more an average size) and swap them.

I have a T-40 I got after some collegiate types tried to make a fretless out of it. I swapped a P-Bass copy neck on it since it was a lot less work than re-fretting the stock neck.
Octave Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great guitars, a T-60 was my first "serious" electric back in '83. Sold it off, but always regretted it, and picked up a '79 in natural ash a few years ago out of nostalgia.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I got a Peavey T-16 when I was about 12. It wasn't very convincing for the Def Leppard look I was going for. I still have it. I don't know why. Quite homely.
DlxNashvilleLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Johnny Copeland.
charlie chitlin is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It really surprises me that there are so many positive comments about these. I must have owned a dud. Mine was a '79 and the first new electric guitar I ever owned. Very heavy! I believe the body was northern ash but not sure since it was solid black. It was oak heavy and wouldn't surprise me if it was made from oak. The thing would not stay in tune at all. Probably due to the metal nut that pinged like a SOB when tuning up. The sound was nothing to write home about. Thin, hand cramping neck profile. Finally, and this is very subjective, one of the ugliest body shapes ever produced. Too wide and round at the lower bout and the "horns" look like a strat that has been "gumbyed". I can appreciate the groundbreaking CNC construction at the time but the overall vibe and appearance of this guitar was obviously an afterthought. This guitar really made me realize that I never should have traded my used Univox Hi-flyer in for this piece of crap. I still shudder when I think of it today and I got rid of it in 1991. It is a wonder I still kept playing when this was my only guitar. I would have to retune after every song during high school talent shows and dances back then and it didn't even have a trem. Bad Times, Bad Times!! I was quite young back then and I remember my Dad and I were thinking of getting at Telecaster BUT the greasy salesman talked up the Peavey so much and trashed the Fender, we decided to go with the Peavey. Obviously neither of us knew what a good guitar was back then and was persuaded by the salesman who at the time we considered "The Expert". Mine probably was a dud but it still doesn't change the fact that the guitar is butt ugly. Of course this is my opinion only and you may feel differently.
M3Organ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I too had a T-60 for a while - sound-wise it was one of my favourite guitars ever, with a good variety of tones and a great percussive attack. Unlike a lot of contributors here, I loved the slim neck, which suited my smaller-than-average hands. However, as has been mentioned a lot, it was very heavy and after a worsening back injury made it painful for me to play for a whole gig at a time, I had to "retire" it. Eventually and with great reluctance I sold it; I was at least happy in the knowledge that it went to a good home.

A great guitar, with superb build quality due to the techniques employed in its construction. In fact it's an important little bit of guitar history. It would be no exaggeration to say that all the excellent low-cost (and many not-so-low-cost) instruments on the market today owe something to Hartley Peavey, his team and the T-60 guitar.

I cried because I had no shoes - until I met a man who had no feet...
Tony474 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Chip Todd recently posted on a T-60 forum that if he had it to do over again, he would not have used the Northern Ash for the body wood. Funny thing though, if this were the Les Paul forum, we wouldn't be talking about the weight. The later bodies were much more contoured thus helping to lighten them up a bit and as stated above, the wood was changed from Ash to Alder or possibly Poplar on the painted ones.

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've played a T-60 and thought it sounded great, but never owned one. I did, however, own a Peavey Patriot like the one in the photo MaskedRider posted above. It's from the same era as the T-60s and I thought it was a really nice USA-made guitar, which always played and sounded great. I bought it new around 1985 or so and eventually sold it to a friend, who still uses it occasionally today.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlin_Guitars View Post
BUT the greasy salesman talked up the Peavey so much and trashed the Fender, we decided to go with the Peavey. Obviously neither of us knew what a good guitar was back then and was persuaded by the salesman who at the time we considered "The Expert"..
That was probably the same guy who talked me into the '71 Les Paul Deluxe instead of the beat up '65 Strat.
charlie chitlin is online now   Reply With Quote