Univox Les Paul.....a really nice guitar! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Univox Les Paul.....a really nice guitar!

I picked up this beauty a few years ago for small bucks at a yard sale and it's one fine guitar. It's a Les Paul copy, made in Japan, with the name "UNIVOX" inlaid on the headstock. It has gold hardware and a maple fretboard. I rewired it so only the top two knobs are a master volume and tone control. The action on this guitar is incredible and it has a very nice usable tone. It's a little more bassy than my Gibson LP(s) but that's OK as it works super as a rock axe with a distortion unit. The middle switch position is great for country style flatpickin' or Travis/Atkins stuff. I added the LP vibrato unit from Stewart McDonald a couple of years ago and it's works well along the lines of a Bigsby. I've seen this same guitar a couple of times over the years with different brand names. A local black blues player uses one of these with the name "AIMS" on it. Anyone out there every seen or tried one of these? It's a very heavy guitar with lots of sustain even though it has a bolt on neck............Here's a couple of shots....JH in Va.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Univox Les Paul-1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	52282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Univox Les Paul-2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	52283  

Old June 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Very cool. Lawsuit era probably? I like it.
jrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

i'm diggin' the maple fretboard and black block inlays. a very cool looking guitar

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had that guitar in 1978 (sans your cool add-on trem bar). My first electric. I played it for years in northern NJ at keg parties through a black face deluxe reverb. I leant it to a "friend" in college in 1981 and was stolen to Puerto Rico. I still hate you Ricky Palacios!!!

boo-hoo.....sniff-sniff....

:o(

thank you for the memory.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

my friend has a red one ... it has a rosewood board ... it was in a fire and all the board inlays melted away ... he still plays it ... it is the only Les Paul i have ever seen with a scalloped board ...

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My friend had one in the seventies as well. I really liked it, the action was incredible. It was red with a rosewood fretboard.

He was heading back to South Dakota with a friend and got rear-ended by a drunk driver, totaled the car, the guitar, and the passenger spent many weeks in the hospital with a broken neck.
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't see those much anymore. Same goes for a good number of Japanese L.P. copies from the 70's. Back in the late 80's I used to have a a near mint Les Paul Custom copy bought from a yard sale for $25 until I thrashed it that is. Univox, Hohner, Greco, older Ibanez, even Memphis, etc...yeah they're getting to be a rare bread.
Partscaster2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That looks really cool. I only know the Univox brand because of the Kurt Cobain connection, he played the mosrite copy. I have a 70's Japanese Columbus Les Paul, also produced under other names. It's plywood, has single coils under the covers and a bolt on neck. The neck pocked it massive but saying all that it actually sounds and feels pretty good to play. That Univox Les Paul looks pretty cool. I wonder if it was natural from day one or painted black like a custom. I like the vibrato, looks very cool.
Gareth John is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Somebody found one at a yardsale (body/neck only no electronics, etc) and gave it to my dad...this one was cherry sunburst however. I think it had a broken trussrod if I remeber correctly?

He threw it away...I got a REALLY cheap hondo II les paul copy at the same time from another yardsale and was going to put those guts into the univox. Would have made a much cooler guitar....oh well
umasstele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a black one. Bought it at a pawn shop in '91 and have no idea what year it was made. It has the trapezoid inlays.
It wasn't in the best of shapes, but It held together. I changed the keys 'cos they wouldn't stay in tune in time to strike a chord. There was no pickguard or nameplate (you know the pickguard-like thing that hides the trussrod!) So I got black ones. The pickups were ok, I guess, 'cos they're still on it, but I changed their casings from beige to black. I also replaced the control pots and plastic buttons. Two of 'em couldn't hold a button 'cos half the metal piece was gone, and they were all terribly dirty and noisy. I also went with black buttons. Oh, and I changed the pup selection switch too!

But I did a terrible job of rewiring the whole thing, since the original switch had 9 places to solder wires to, as opposed to the one I got that had only 5! I did the best I could, but I now have no way of telling which button does what since I have sound coming out in any configuration, lol!

Anyway, a few years later in honour of Cobain, I put a Nirvana In Utero decal on top where the Univox logo is supposed to go 'cos I had originally wiped it off when I first cleaned the guitar! And I used nail polish to fix the paint job! I really like the way it looks. But the frets are pretty worn out and I don't think it diserves a new fret job! I rarely use it. The only time it came handy was when I was jamming out Sabbath tunes with friends and needed a guitar to be standard tuning for the songs off the first two records.
Beelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Back around 1970 I was playing my cheap little guitar in my room in Plainfield, Connecticut when I heard some kind or loud rock guitar from off in the distance. I jumped on my bike and rode off in search of the sound. About 3/4 mile away I found a guy in a house on Route 12. His name was Mike Sumthinnerother and he had a black Univox Les Paul plugged into a Marshall with a speaker cab like this:
It was loud and cool and really impressed the hell out of a 15 year old like me.
About 10 years later I picked up one of them black Univox Les Pauls and had some fun with it before selling it off a couple years later. It's a decent guitar.
telepathetic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Hayes View Post
A local black blues player uses one of these with the name "AIMS" on it. Anyone out there every seen or tried one of these?
I had a "Telecaster" in high school (it was my first decent quality electric) that was made by Aims. It was a great guitar, very well made. I think it was made in Japan. This was 1979 or so. Wish I still had it.

I've never seen another Aims guitar. Mine was a blonde/maple neck, and my best friend had a sunburst strat w/maple neck, also Aims. We bought them at the same time.