Found A Sekova Acoustic - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Found A Sekova Acoustic

I just dug out my sister's old acoustic guitar, it's a Sekova, says Made in Korea on the inside. I couldn't find much info from a google search other than they're not really worth much, and were Fender knock offs back in the 60s, but I think that may have been more the electrics...who knows.

Anyway, I would like to see about getting this baby fixed up for myself to play. It's a much thinner body size than my Yamaha, which is a dreadnaught and drives me crazy because it slides off my leg too much, etc. I have short arms, and we'll leave it at that...

So just from looking at this guitar, it seems to be in bad shape. The tuning pegs are plastic, and one is broken off. The screws and other metal parts are all rusted. The frets are rusted too, as well as the metal parts of the bridge. So i'm assuming that would all have to be redone...which sounds pricey to me. But, would it be as pricey as just buying a new acoustic? I can't afford that right now, but if fixing up this guitar would be in the same price range, I will probably hold off.

Here are some pics, not great quality, just taken with my blackberry:

So, thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00087.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	50624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00088.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	50625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00089.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	50626  

Old May 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Just a couple of random thoughts Tele-Rain. The bridge looks metal with adjustable screws to set the string action higher or lower. I've seen these bridges on many guitars-even Gibson used it on acoustics in the 1960's-but I'm not a fan. I don't think they transmit vibrations to the wood top as well as more traditional glued-in bridges. It may not be outragously expensive to convert.

Does it have an adjustable trussrod? Look in the soundhole up toward the neck and see if it has an exposed screw head with a hexagon shaped hole. Often when the neck plate says "Steel reenforced Neck" that means the neck does have a rod but its not adjustable. If it's not, that would be a major turn-off for me.

It may have sentimental value to you greater than it's value as an instrument. But right now there are so many fine guitars being made. May I humbly suggest a Seagull? Solid top guitars, very well made and they have glued-in bridges and adjustible trussrods. The ones with built in electronic pickups (so you can plug in) use L.R. Baggs systems-a good qualiy pickup. I'll bet you could pick one up used for about $300 on Craigslist or Ebay etc. And you'd have a lifetime acoustic (unless you continue to hang out here and read gear reviews)