Opinions on Eastwood Guitars?? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Opinions on Eastwood Guitars??

I think I'm gonna buy one. I was in GC tomnite for the King of The Blues competition and stumbled onto a used one. Non-Reverse Firebird style, 2 P-90's, metallic gold color. Played fair to ok, could use a setup, but I do all my own work so no extra expense there. plugged it in for a second, P-90's sounded quite serviceable. It's in MINT shape. A few pick marks on the pickguard, otherwise perfect. $249 w/case. After looking it over for few minutes, I really don't see how I could go wrong at that price. It seems worth it. They are holding it for me to come back and look at tomorrow when I have more time.

Just wondering if anybody has had any of their stuff and experienced any long term issues with neck problems or anything. It seems like a solid deal for the price, but I don't want to throw money away on something that's gonna go unplayable in a year. I've had that problem with seemingly nice chinese set necks before.

Anybody using Eastwood stuff? What do you think of it?

Oh, and for the record, I am not a hobby player. This git will get dragged through boat loads of gigging in all kinds of conditions if I get it.

Last edited by Jakedog; May 28th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I had an Eastwood P-90 Special (double cut away P90 guitar) and I paid $400 new. You're gettinga great deal. The P-90 Special has a wrap around tailpiece and I had a hard time keeping it in tune.

In general I think that Eastwood builds nice guitars....fun guitras.

John
studio1087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There is a dealer here in Columbus that carries a decent selection of them. Swamp Dog Music. Not for the price you found the used one for but even new they are not too bad. From what I have heard they are pretty solid and should be gigworthy.
I have had my eye on the COuntry Gent style or one of the Supro Map style ones. The firebird ones look pretty awesome too though.
If I stumbled on one for that price it would come home with me.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1087 View Post
I had an Eastwood P-90 Special (double cut away P90 guitar) and I paid $400 new. You're gettinga great deal. The P-90 Special has a wrap around tailpiece and I had a hard time keeping it in tune.
So it's just like a PRS then

„Guitar playing is all about ego problems" Blixa Bargeld
all_identaties_taken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I was out shopping with a friend of mine who about to buy a P90 double cut. After I played it, we both agreed it was not up to snuff.

Not a good deal in my opinion. They're not very well made, the pickups are lack luster, and the over feel was cheap right down to the tuners and the pots.

We went to another store and found a used Gibson faded P90 Double Cut for $500 that literally blew away the Eastwood in every category.

There are far better deals out there right now in used gear that would serve you way better than a new Eastwood. If the Eastwood was $199 it might be an OK deal but I find them over priced for what you're getting.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I went back and played it for awhile, decided to pass. It was great sounding guitar, I actually think the Eastwood P-90s, while not really like Gibson P-90s, were cool sounding pickups. I got some great tones out of it, and overall, it seemed pretty nicely made. The switch and pots felt cheap, but the guitar itself was fairly impressive fit and finish wise. The finish in particular was flawless. The hardware was rather nice.

What canned the deal for me was the fretwork. Neck was nice and straight, but the action was high for my tastes. I hit the thumb wheels on the tune-o-matic to drop it down some and all of a sudden it was fret-out city. Just dead spots and high frets all over the place. Not worth it to me to put the work into it that it would take to make it play right.

I am not even going to try another Chinese or Korean made set-neck ever again. They just can't get it right. I have never played one that was fretted well enough to get the set up the way I like it. I've tried PRS SE's, Ibanez, Epi's, LTD's, Deans, import Hamer, all kinds of stuff. Foreign made set neck guitars are just crap IMO. Gibson has tons of quality control issues when it comes to finishing and such, but at least the guitars play right. I have no idea why it's so hard for these things to be built right, or maybe they are, and the wood is just crap. Either way, I'm done looking at 'em. Tons of cool designs out there, but the design is worthless if it can't perform.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

This was a craigslist find for $200. I really like it. I've had it for less than a year, but so far there are no issues. It stays in tune just fine. I like the sound, and the fit and finish is great.
What's really odd, though, is that I don't know what model it is. The new P90 is the double cutaway version, but I don't know what this one was called. Does anyone here know?

Old May 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Didn't they used to make fairly high end hollow body "jazz guitars"?

I read recently that some of their units are made in China. If so, I damn sure wouldn't buy it. They're freaking Communists. To hell with them.
Old Mr. Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have a Made-In-Korea set-neck Schecter and the fretwork and overall workmanship are excellent.
Radspin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

People often confuse Eastman with Eastwood. Eastman actually makes some very nice guitars. Eastwood, well, uh, I'm just not a fan.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hello
I'm looking for a new guitar to play mainly fingerstyle jazz and a little of 60's pop...
I've seen some amazing models on Eastwood website, but it's hard to find some reviews...
So, maybe if someone her can help...

models :
- RSII
- H44
- Tuxedo
- Saturn 63

01- Do you know if the followin Eastwwod models can get a good warm jazzy sound with the neck pup?

I ask his question because they are non humbucker guitars (usually found nowdays on jazz guitars) but they look very cool...

02- Are the tone pots really usefull?

03- Are they confortable for fingerstyle playing ?

THANKS!!

Old June 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mr. Wilson View Post
Didn't they used to make fairly high end hollow body "jazz guitars"?
You're thinking of Eastman guitars.

Also Eastwood guitars shouldn't be confused with Brian Eastwood guitars.

The Brian Eastwood "Bender distortocaster" I played one and it feels and sounds perfectly normal.

UK Presenter James May with a Brian Eastwood "Bender Bordcaster"

Old June 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'd love to snag an Eastwood Messenger, the reissue of Mark Farner's Grand Funk guitar.

Jack Knife is offline   Reply With Quote