crosby stills nash - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Music to Your Ears
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Music to Your Ears Discussion of Music, albums, live performances, favorite tunes/performances and other music (non-theory) related discussion - including YouTube postings.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

crosby stills nash

Been listening to my old Stephen Stills albums and trying to play some of them, love the DADDAD or EEEEBE tunings !

got me on to listening to the first CSN album; I had forgotten just how good it is, those soaring harmony voices ( especially David Crosby) are just a joy to hear.

And some great electric guitar playing, which I guess is Stephen Stills ? Anyone know what guitars and amps he would have been using back then ?

Got tickets to see them at the Albert Hall in October , really looking forward to it

vortexmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Going to have to try that... I liked it when Neil played electric in déjà vu myself
furtherpale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtherpale View Post
Going to have to try that... I liked it when Neil played electric in déjà vu myself
I must say I agree and have always preferred deja Vu as an album , it is a bit more "edgy". Much as I like Graham Nash some of his songs are a bit twee...

But still like the first one as well !!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The first album was brilliant, and a real Stills "tour de force".
He played all the lead, bass and keys, and wrote/sang some brilliant songs.
I really liked his stuff with Springfield, but the C,S, & N album really shines.
Talk about over-achieving.
I believe he used his pre war D 28 and an early 50s Esquire on it.
He also used an early 60s P bass with very worn out flatwound strings.
I don't know what amps he used, but picture from the era show piggyback
Showmans, both white and black tolex, and a bunch of tweed Fender amps.
Live he played through a 100 watt Plexi and a big (8-12?) cabinet.
Stills is one of my greatest inspirations.

Last edited by brookdalebill; June 26th, 2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
brookdalebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'll never forget sitting on a log at the top of the hill at the original Woodstock festival watching them put the final touches on the stage. They were playing the first CSN album over the sound system. The fence hadn't been completed and as people drifted in and sat in fromt of the stage, they periodically asked them to leave so they could line up and take tickets! We actually had tickets. A whopping $18.00 for three days. You know the rest of the story.
Ramblin Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Ray View Post
I'll never forget sitting on a log at the top of the hill at the original Woodstock festival watching them put the final touches on the stage. They were playing the first CSN album over the sound system. The fence hadn't been completed and as people drifted in and sat in fromt of the stage, they periodically asked them to leave so they could line up and take tickets! We actually had tickets. A whopping $18.00 for three days. You know the rest of the story.
I so wish I could have been there, must have been an amazing experience !!

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexmike View Post
Been listening to my old Stephen Stills albums and trying to play some of them, love the DADDAD or EEEEBE tunings !

got me on to listening to the first CSN album; I had forgotten just how good it is, those soaring harmony voices ( especially David Crosby) are just a joy to hear.

And some great electric guitar playing, which I guess is Stephen Stills ? Anyone know what guitars and amps he would have been using back then ?

Got tickets to see them at the Albert Hall in October , really looking forward to it
I have the first album on vinyl, but it's scratched

IIRC, Stephen Stills used an Esquire and tweed Deluxe for most of the album.

Old June 28th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here is Stephen with his ’53 esquire……

I like how on Wooden Ships main solo he plays with the muffled sound at first
and then you can heir him flip the switch to the bright sound and just tears it up!
L.Helm and J.R.Robertson
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdalebill View Post
The first album was brilliant, and a real Stills "tour de force".
He played all the lead, bass and keys, and wrote/sang some brilliant songs.
I really liked his stuff with Springfield, but the C,S, & N album really shines.
Talk about over-achieving.
Indeed. Stills is the man.

I really like both the first and second albums, and fwiw I don't think Nash gets enough credit for his awesome harmonies.

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I love both those albums. I got to see CSN at a private concert probably 10 years back hosted by a big time lawyer here in Houston. He does a Christmas show at his place every year for a "few" of his friends (~1500 at this one). Stills was playing a White Falcon and Crosby the 12 string. The host of the event was a moderate player and he sat in on a couple tunes. Stills was giving him chord calls while they were playing. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had the nerve to get up with a guitar if I didn't know the tunes. However not a bad teacher to guide you through CSN songs and he paid pretty good for the lessons. Crosby had just finished his stint in Huntsville a couple of years earlier and he made some great jokes about recognizing most of the judges and lawyers in the audience. Their harmonies were incredible.
"Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things. " - Big Bill Broonzy
telleutelleme is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well it was a great gig on Friday night, even some tele action with Graham Nash !
I think we have had moans on here before about people talking while the band is playing and continual texting and making phone calls AARGGH. If I had my way there would be a box outside for everyone to put their phone in ; but I would also implement that in the workplace ...
On a more serious note there seemed to be a certain amount of antogonism beteewn Stills and Crosby ? At one point I think Crosby put in a song not on the setlist, Stills tried to play a guitar part and then gave up and slung his strat in the stand and skulked off into the shadows of the stage. I couldn't tell if it was friendly banter or something more ? Perhaps someone can shed light.
Anyway, it was a great gig, Stills (one of my all time heroes) was just brilliant although the highlight was probably still "Almost cut my hair".... Crosby's singing is just something else.