brand new My Bloody Valentine album FINALLY released! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Music to Your Ears
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Music to Your Ears Discussion of Music, albums, live performances, favorite tunes/performances and other music (non-theory) related discussion - including YouTube postings.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

brand new My Bloody Valentine album FINALLY released!

i know that there are a surprising amount of My Bloody Valentine fans here on TDPRI, so i thought i'd pass along the awesome news that their first new album in 22 years has finally been released! apparently it was so popular that their website crashed within minutes of it being made available, but that seems to have been fixed.

according to the band, it's going to be available exclusively from their website, so i don't know that it'll ever show up in record stores or on Amazon (at least not anytime soon.) they're offering three download versions of the album (44.1 CD quality WAV, 24/96 WAV and 320kbps MP3), along with physical CD+download (w/ gatefold sleeve) combo, as well as 180g vinyl+CD+download limited edition combo (also in a gatefold sleeve.) a friend of mine gifted me an album download as a belated birthday present, so i'm a happy little monkey right now

the downloads are a bit pricey at $16, but i think that price is probably because of the currency conversion rate. despite the fact that i was given the album for free, i'd gladly pay the $16 and i definitely think it's worth it! at $30, the limited edition vinyl+CD+download combo is definitely the best deal and i still may buy it just to have the full album-size gatefold artwork to put up on the wall.

so far, i think the album is really good! it's not 'Loveless', but i'm kinda glad: 'Loveless' was a great album, but i'd have been disappointed if we waited all this time for another album that sounded just like it. in fact, it sounds a little closer to their pre-'Loveless' stuff (not quite as heavy, a bit more atmospheric.) the guitars also sound slightly less processed...but then again, we're talking about MBV, so that's pretty relative

anyway, their website is at http://www.mybloodyvalentine.org, album available in the "Shop" section. now i'm just hoping some US gig dates show up on their website!

...also, this album really makes me want a Squier VM Jazzmaster....

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I ordered the vinyl version and I am enjoying the download as I write this. It's phenomenal. I am happy that it's not Loveless, after two listens I have to say that I like this even better. It has a very distict Nineties vibe to my ears, in a very good way. I wonder how old these songs actually are.

Also, incidentally, I just got myself two Jazzmasters in the last week :D We'll see where this goes.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
I ordered the vinyl version and I am enjoying the download as I write this. It's phenomenal. I am happy that it's not Loveless, after two listens I have to say that I like this even better. It has a very distict Nineties vibe to my ears, in a very good way. I wonder how old these songs actually are.

Also, incidentally, I just got myself two Jazzmasters in the last week :D We'll see where this goes.
i couldn't agree more! i have a feeling at least some of the songs were originally written years ago. Kevin Shields basically said as much in an interview last year. apparently he had a ton of stuff written for a follow-up to 'Loveless', but ended up not liking them at the time. when he started listening to them more recently, though, he realised there was a bunch of good stuff in there.

it also took me a couple listens before i really "got it", mostly because i'm so used to listening to Loveless. it's not that i don't own or like their pre-Loveless stuff (i do), but Loveless is pretty much always in my album rotation and i've listened to it thousands of times over the years. sometimes i forget how heavy it was compared to their previous albums.

and i have to admit that i've been drooling over the Squier VM Jazzmasters all night. i'm going to be either buying or building a new guitar soon, and even though i had a Tele all planned out, i keep going back to those VM Jazzmasters. seeing as how prices for Allparts/Warmoth/USACG necks and bodies generally stay about the same, i might have to just get one of those Jazzmasters now, before Fender decides to raise the price like they did with the CV Tele's. besides, i've been on a really big "Fender pastel colors" kick lately, and that Sonic Blue JM is just calling my name!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Downloading...

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
A.B.Negative is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My god, it's full of awesome...

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by puremania View Post
My god, it's full of awesome...

yes, yes it is.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat MacKinnon View Post
i couldn't agree more! i have a feeling at least some of the songs were originally written years ago. Kevin Shields basically said as much in an interview last year. apparently he had a ton of stuff written for a follow-up to 'Loveless', but ended up not liking them at the time. when he started listening to them more recently, though, he realised there was a bunch of good stuff in there.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these were from the mid-Nineties. I also read that they're planning on doing an EP full of "new new" material this year, I wonder how that will sound... and hope that it won't come out in 2034.

Quote:
it also took me a couple listens before i really "got it", mostly because i'm so used to listening to Loveless. it's not that i don't own or like their pre-Loveless stuff (i do), but Loveless is pretty much always in my album rotation and i've listened to it thousands of times over the years. sometimes i forget how heavy it was compared to their previous albums.
I am looking forward to listening to Loveless again after hearing this a couple more times. For some reason, Isn't Anything hit me a lot harder than Loveless ever did, but this is an excellent reason to revisit it.

Quote:
and i have to admit that i've been drooling over the Squier VM Jazzmasters all night. i'm going to be either buying or building a new guitar soon, and even though i had a Tele all planned out, i keep going back to those VM Jazzmasters. seeing as how prices for Allparts/Warmoth/USACG necks and bodies generally stay about the same, i might have to just get one of those Jazzmasters now, before Fender decides to raise the price like they did with the CV Tele's. besides, i've been on a really big "Fender pastel colors" kick lately, and that Sonic Blue JM is just calling my name!
I got a sunburst VM and the Squier J. Mascis, both are great guitars and quite true to the "spirit" that I see in a Jazzmaster. They're also both far superior to my 2008 MIJ Fender, both playability- and soundwise. I can only recommend the VM ;)
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Downloaded it and enjoying it. Sounds like a natural progression from Loveless and sonically different.
Jazzmasterfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've put it on a couple of times so far. Starts well but my attention started wandering about halfway through both listens. I'll give it another try during tomorrow's commute.

Old February 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Still doesn't keep me interested all the way through. It needs a You Made Me Realise or Feed Me With Your Kiss.

Last edited by A.B.Negative; February 5th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

Old February 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

This was all over my twitter feeds the other night when they released it.

Some of you may be interested to know that the band also released it to youtube - here's the youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOfficialMBV
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote