rating john, paul and george as musicians - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Music to Your Ears
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Music to Your Ears Discussion of Music, albums, live performances, favorite tunes/performances and other music (non-theory) related discussion - including YouTube postings.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

rating john, paul and george as musicians

When people talk about who are the best guitar players out there,I hardly ever hear their names brought up.But think about what they did.'66-'70 they were writing music that had never been exploded before They played their own instruments on their records,where many of the pop groups didn't actually play on the record that was sold.

LeftyAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

im sure the answer is like...they were over shadowed by clapton beck page and hendrix...but they were solid musicians from what ive read and heard people say

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think their body of work says everything we need to know. We're they well schooled, or technically brilliant? No, except perhaps McCartney's incredible bass playing.
Mjark is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Whether or not, individually, they were "the best" or even "great", there is no denying that as a group they were magic. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts.

Seems to happen a lot with great bands. If it were all about individual components "super groups" should always be smashing; instead sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Last edited by Agave_Blue; October 10th, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Agave_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Why is Ringo left out!? He was one of the greatest rock drummers ever.

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyguy View Post
Why is Ringo left out!? He was one of the greatest rock drummers ever.

In some documentary I think it was Paul that said during the entire time the Beatles were together they only had to do three (3!) retakes due to a mistake by Ringo. That plus he did everything with the same four drum setup the entire time; different models but always four drums.

― Frank Zappa
cband7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjark View Post
I think their body of work says everything we need to know. We're they well schooled, or technically brilliant? No, except perhaps McCartney's incredible bass playing.
Oh really?

Listen to that incredible solo and he was only 20. People were going "that must be session player on the studio version, here George proved all the nay-sayers wrong.

As for John, why nobody never mentions him as one of the finest rhythm players in Rock I don't know but listen to those triads and the constant changing of chords here, make no mistake that is a TOUGH song to play.

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

George - most early Beatle solos are very unimpressive. He got better, but no one will ever consider George an elite guitarist.

Ringo - extremely talented. Criminally overlooked. His creativity and brilliance lies in his fills. Listen to "Hello Goodbye" or John's solo tune "God" for fills that no one can outdo.

John - extremely basic player both on guitar and piano. Took me not long at all to play just about everything he played -- and that's on both guitar and piano. You can teach yourself piano and about two months later you can play everything John played. Guitar, take half a year and you can play everything John played.

Paul - since the beginning of music only a handful of people could match his musicianship and creativity. Paul literally was one of the best musicians ever.
taxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cband7 View Post
In some documentary I think it was Paul that said during the entire time the Beatles were together they only had to do three (3!) retakes due to a mistake by Ringo. That plus he did everything with the same four drum setup the entire time; different models but always four drums.
You forgot one thing, Ringo always played Ludwig, he still does. And that once lead to a very funny situation. The stick-on letters of the "Ludwig" logo came off during one of the early tours until his drumhead just said "Lu" and John would jokingly introduce Ringo by going "On the 'Lu', Ringo." the people at Ludwig were not amused and promptly send over a new drumhead with screened on letters.

Vinnie Appice once said that if you took all the instruments away from a Beatles recording and left just the vocals and the drums it would still be a viable piece of music. Ringo never was a flashy drummer but he certainly played with a finesse that was all his own.

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

The most important, influential and popular recordings of the rock era, recorded mostly in full-band takes on 2 and 4 track tape recorders. All four were very good on their instruments, and more important, were PHENOMENAL playing TOGETHER!

Tim
Tim Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Oh really?

Listen to that incredible "Till There Was You" solo
Blazer, there is no doubt, no doubt at all that George's solo in "Till There Was You" is outstanding. Full marks for the composition. It flows perfectly. One of the best solos I can name.

But that solo is easy as hell to play. I am strictly a rhythm guitar player. I have played only two leads in my entire life: John's solo break in "Get Back" and George's solo break in "Till There Was You." If I, a guy who has no talent at all for lead playing, can do "Till There Was You," it shows it really is an insanely simple piece of soloing. And it really is.

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think they were FAB!

They got the job done.

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxer View Post
Blazer, there is no doubt, no doubt at all that George's solo in "Till There Was You" is outstanding. Full marks for the composition. It flows perfectly. One of the best solos I can name.

But that solo is easy as hell to play. I am strictly a rhythm guitar player. I have played only two leads in my entire life: John's solo break in "Get Back" and George's solo break in "Till There Was You." If I, a guy who has no talent at all for lead playing, can do "Till There Was You," it shows it really is an insanely simple piece of soloing. And it really is.
So? Do your fingers need to be flying all over the fretboard to be considered a great guitarist? I do love almost everything George played when he was in the Beatles.
SolidSnakeBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeBoss View Post
So? Do your fingers need to be flying all over the fretboard to be considered a great guitarist?
No, but a great guitarist should employ chordings and techniques that the average 13 year old beginner can not do.

The real reason why Michael Jordan is great is because he does things you and I and most others can't. Shakespeare? Same thing. Hendrix? Same thing. George Harrison? If I and millions of other can do it, then there ain't nothing marvelous or great about it. Yes, the creativity of George is great; but this thread is asking about musicianship and George's playing is far too simple to be awarded the status of greatness.

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:

And what's so bad about a simple solo, besides, you overlook the fact that George had feel, he made every single note count. The late great Albert King once said "It's not about the notes you play, it's about the notes you DON'T play." and that's certainly what George did.

Sure, as a metal player myself, I dig what people like Steve Vai are doing but I own the G-3 live in Tokyo DVD and when Vai, Satch and Malsteen get to Jam on Hendrix songs, it all falls apart because none of them has that feel, to make every note count, like Hendrix had.

Three technically gifted players but it was a farce.

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
No, but a great guitarist should employ chordings and techniques that the average 13 year old beginner can not do.

The real reason why Michael Jordan is great is because he does things you and I and most others can't. Shakespeare? Same thing. Hendrix? Same thing. George Harrison? If I and millions of other can do it, then there ain't nothing marvelous or great about it. Yes, the creativity of George is great; but this thread is asking about musicianship and George's playing is far too simple to be awarded the status of greatness.
(I really shouldn't be doing this but this provokes me a little too much...)

Then put your money where your mouth is and record the solos for "Something", "Till there was you" and more recent "Marwa blues" and see if you get the vibe right, you'll never be able to pull them off as elegant and fluid like George did.

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Why?

I mean, I can see MAYBE saying that a great guitarist should BE ABLE TO employ chordings and techniques that that the average 13 year old beginner can not do. But the real mark of a great guitarist is playing the exact right part for the song, isn't it?

Tim

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There's a difference between super fast guitar playing and well-constructed and tasteful lead melodies that fit with the song the other bandmates are playing. Give me George's playing over the "guitar gods" any day.
yark14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

I'd also note that George did play some pretty hip things, even early on. He had some very nice rockabilly/Chet Atkins technique, and later on developed a very distinctive and lovely slide guitar touch.

Tim

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

They were all three great and innovative players. Their writing skills are unparalleled.