Peavey Vypyr VIP? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps It's a digital world and we're just guitar players in it. Visit. Learn. Discuss.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 30th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Peavey Vypyr VIP?

Hey, folks. Wondering if anybody has - or has played - the new Peavey Vypyr line: VIP? I'm wondering about impressions and experience. Also, how is it without the Sanpera pedal?

Haven't seen any discussion re: this amp even at the Peavey forum.

Thanks in advance!
Greg

Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've played the VIP 1, 2 and 3 with and without my Sanpera 1 pedal. If I wasn't planning on cutting back on my amp collection due to downsizing I'd have one of them now. The models are good--better than the already decent models on the previous Vypyr line.

Nearly all of the amp models are Peavey products with only a few exceptions--the blackface and Brit (Vox) models. Not bad actually since Peavey makes a lot of different high gain amps, the Classic series, acoustic amps and owns Trace Elliot and Budda. This is a lot like Fender Mustang amps featuring a lot of Fender amps. But unlike Fender Peavey has has a lot of successful high gain amps.

Without the Sanpera the VIP 1 and 2 operate similar to the old Vypyr line. In other words turn the knobs to select or tweak models. The VIP 3 has a small control screen to help with the patches. What is nice is the VIP 1 is Sanpera compatible, unlike the Vypyr 15. And all have USB connectability. Anybody who tried to download software upgrades on the Vypyrs via MIDI will appreciate this

A complaint with the old Vypyrs was the noise gate effectiveness with the high gain models. This is better with the VIPs.

And they sound great as acoustic amps and can be used as a bass amp with bass amp
models. I did not try the guitar to bass convertor twelve string or violin models.

Now for the negatives. Peavey is still working on their nice computer interface ala FUSE. Supposedly it will be released this summer. Don't expect to be able to rock the house as a bass amp (I made my living as a bassplayer years ago). It sounds surprisingly good for a partially open backed cabinet but not like a sealed cabinet. So it won't have as much bottom/punch as a comparable tuned/ported bass amp. The VIP 1 comes with Peavey's do-it-all 8" speaker. I would have liked to have seen it with a 10" for added volume and low end. My Vypyr 15 modded with a 10" Jensen MOD has been an effective small gig amp. A similar bigger/more efficient speaker mod can be done with the VIP 1.

There is a portion of the Peavey guitar amp forum that is for Vypyr and Sanpera posts which shows up above the main guitar forum..

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Twangy View Post

There is a portion of the Peavey guitar amp forum that is for Vypyr and Sanpera posts which shows up above the main guitar forum..
Thanks for this thorough reply. I see the ReValver sticky at Peavey; I'll have to keep looking for the Vypyr/Sanpera section. Maybe I've been looking at it for years and don't see it anymore.

And, I guess the EDIT software release is imminent. So far, the YouTube demo's are all versions of the 6505 or XXX style amps; to my ears, they start to sound the same after a while. It seems for the looper and convenient tone switching, one of the Sanpera's is required. I'll try to get in a store and try one.

Thanks again,
Greg

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 30th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I bought a ViP2. After 2 weeks I returned it. For guitar it sounded pretty good. The acoustic wasn't up to snuff and the bass wasn't up to it either. Then it seemed more like a toy after awhile.
RockerDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Coal View Post
Thanks for this thorough reply. I see the ReValver sticky at Peavey; I'll have to keep looking for the Vypyr/Sanpera section. Maybe I've been looking at it for years and don't see it anymore.

And, I guess the EDIT software release is imminent. So far, the YouTube demo's are all versions of the 6505 or XXX style amps; to my ears, they start to sound the same after a while. It seems for the looper and convenient tone switching, one of the Sanpera's is required. I'll try to get in a store and try one.
When you click on the Peavey guitar amp section the Vypyr/Sanpera section is right above the main portion. I post there frequently as Jspencer.

The Sanpera really helps get the most out of the VIPs (and the Vypyrs). I love using it to control my volume during gigs and occasionally use it for wah or tone shaping. I have a certain zone to fill in the mix (19 instruments) and can't be too loud or too soft. Our soundman controls my mic'ed amp through the board but I need to hear myself appropriately, too.

One thing about the Sanpera--it switches on the release. so you can stomp a little early. It threw me off for looping until I got used to that. And the old silver Sanperas work with VIPs.

Old July 1st, 2013, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks, Abu, I did find the VYPYR section: it was "right there". My eyes were always shooting down the page and missed it.

I get what you say about the Sanpera: engaged upon release. People say it becomes second nature after a while. You sy you are often one of 19 instruments; since I doubt you are in a a heavy metal orchestra, are you playing a style that is not a chainsaw sound distortion? Or, something more "classic"? I guess I am asking, how diverse it the palette of tones that the Vypyr VIP's can deliver? More than just the Peavey models?

I'm a big Peavey fan, just not into the heavy distortion/metal sounds.

Thanks,
Greg

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
You say you are often one of 19 instruments; since I doubt you are in a a heavy metal orchestra, are you playing a style that is not a chainsaw sound distortion? Or, something more "classic"? I guess I am asking, how diverse it the palette of tones that the Vypyr VIP's can deliver? More than just the Peavey models?

I'm a big Peavey fan, just not into the heavy distortion/metal sounds.

Thanks,
Greg
I actually play three unrelated styles of music. I'm the guitarist for a big band--19 musicians and four vocalists who cover everything from Dixieland to jazz rock, I play blues R&B and rock with another couple of musicians and acoustic blues, folk and bluegrass with another group of people. Any high gain metal music is just fooling around on my own.

I stumbled upon the Vypyrs when I was looking for a small SS amp for rehearsals and home use. Got a 15 for $40 used and shoehorned a 10" into it for more volume and a bigger sound. Then I got a used 30 and Sanpera. The Peavey ads for the Vypyrs seemed directed to a younger market so I had not tried one out before.

The Vypyrs and VIPs both have a BF model, Vox AC model, Peavey Classic model as well as the XXL a Peavey amp with a clean and dirt channel. The VIPs substituted a Budda model for the class A Bkat; a Peavey British-voiced amp covers Marshall sounds. There are a bunch of high gain amps on both and the VIP has a couple of acoustic amp models as well as a couple of bass amp models. I use the more traditional models in the lower gain settings. to cover my needs.

Old July 4th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks, I'm abroad right now and can't try one in a store. I play in equal amounts acoustic and electric and favor more of the classic, not heavy distortion, amplified sounds. I will just have to try the VIP 2 in a store. The only things I would change would be to have fewer of the Peavey models (I own 3 other Peavey amps, though! - just not the XXX, 5150 etc) and more of the 50's and 60's tube amps.

The Mustangs will get a look, though.

Thanks again
Greg

Old July 5th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have the VIP 1. I actually find the acoustic and bass passable for practice or a beginner & the main reason I decided to keep the amp. As for the guitar amp models they are good too, but I have 4 other guitar amps and this thing costs less than a decent pedal. I steer away from the metal stuff and there is plenty of other amp models for cleans and blues. I never played the original Vyper, but if Im not mistaken they only had green (clean) and red(high gain lead). The VIP has a crunch (orange) channel for each model as well and that is usually where I find myself. Like all other digital amps, the presets suck and I changed mine immediately. The only thing I wish it had is an external speaker out, so I might add one. I used to have a Mustang and do prefer the VIP. The interface is just more intuitive and I like more of the models (although the Mustang 'twin' is phenomenal)- the VIPs Budda, Brit, Classic, Butcher and XXX are great for me. Even the twin is pretty good
lothar34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I A-B'ed the Vypyr (VIP 2) and Mustang III today. Again.

A week or so ago compared a Strat playing through both; today only played an electro-acoustic through each amp.

The Vypyr sounded far and away better. For both the Strat and the acoustic. The acoustic sounded really really good. The Fender amp surprised me by being flat and dull. The Peavey was very full for both the acoustic and electric.

Also, the Vypyr VIP 2 is far easier to use in the store than the VIP 3!

Greg

Old August 6th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
I A-B'ed the Vypyr (VIP 2) and Mustang III today. Again.

A week or so ago compared a Strat playing through both; today only played an electro-acoustic through each amp.

The Vypyr sounded far and away better. For both the Strat and the acoustic. The acoustic sounded really really good. The Fender amp surprised me by being flat and dull. The Peavey was very full for both the acoustic and electric.

Also, the Vypyr VIP 2 is far easier to use in the store than the VIP 3!

Greg
Have you played any of the Vox VT series amps? It has most of the same basic modeling and effects features, "plus" a 12ax7 tube to help drive both the pre-amp and power amp. I think of the three, the Vox sounds the best on YouTube demos, but it doesn't seem to have that many fans yet. The one thing that is intriguing about the Vypyr VIP is the virtual instrument modeling to do things like bass guitar, sitar, resonator, 7-string, baritone guitars, synth, etc. It also has bass and acoustic amp models AND a looper, so for the price, it's quite a bundle of features.
foundjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundjoe View Post
Have you played any of the Vox VT series amps? It has most of the same basic modeling and effects features, "plus" a 12ax7 tube to help drive both the pre-amp and power amp. I think of the three, the Vox sounds the best on YouTube demos, but it doesn't seem to have that many fans yet. ........
No, I have not tried one. And, I should. They go fairly cheaply used on CL; so they have that in their favor, too.

I have an ART tube pre-amp that I can play guitar through. I guess I should get that out. Thanks for the VOX reference.

Greg

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've owned the Vypyr 1 going on 4 months now.

I can tell you for a fact that Abu Twangy's review is spot on.

Excellent first amp and rehearsal amp.

I have played high and mid level guitars with this amp and have dialed in great tones.
Maddaxe111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaxe111 View Post
I've owned the Vypyr 1 going on 4 months now.

I can tell you for a fact that Abu Twangy's review is spot on.

Excellent first amp and rehearsal amp.

I have played high and mid level guitars with this amp and have dialed in great tones.
Spot on. By far the best VFM piece of kit I have ever owned. I've even gigged the little 15w and it sounded great.

Old October 7th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

....and brothers, I am finally putting my money where my mouth is.

I have a VIP1 on layaway.

The VIP's stock 8" sounds better than the stock 8" in the Vypyr 15. I can use my Sanpera I pedal. And eventually I'll be upgrading the speaker to a Mod 10-50 like I did to my Vypyr 15.

Unfortunately the VIP 1 requires an 8 ohm speaker, not a 4 ohm. The only 10" 8 ohm speaker I have is a 20 watt 1970 Oxford--not up to the task of handling the VIP.

But at least it will sound pretty decent for now
with the stock speaker.

Old October 16th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've been spending time with my new VIP1. Love being able to use the Sanpera pedal with it.

The stock VIP is closer to the sound of my Vypyr 15 with a 10" than a stock Vypyr 15. There have been other improvements--the three levels of gain instead of clean and OD leave out the huge gap between settings. The acoustic models are decent.

As a bass amp--it is an open back 8" after all. But once I install a speaker out jack the bass amp models would probably sound decent pushing a 12" or 15".

Still, installing a good neutral more efficient 10" will make it a better amp for all my needs.

Old October 26th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I guess I have to eat my words about using VIPs as bass amps--at least at modest volumes.

Today I took my Precision and VIP 1 to an acoustic jam with fifteen participants held at a coffee shop. I played bass a bit then turned it over to another participant so I could play dobro and acoustic guitar.

Throughout the jam that little 20 watt amp with an 8" speaker sounded great.

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Twangy View Post
I guess I have to eat my words about using VIPs as bass amps--at least at modest volumes.

Today I took my Precision and VIP 1 to an acoustic jam with fifteen participants held at a coffee shop. I played bass a bit then turned it over to another participant so I could play dobro and acoustic guitar.

Throughout the jam that little 20 watt amp with an 8" speaker sounded great.
I wondered where you were going with "eating your words" re this amp. Glad it worked out. I have an 8" Behringer bass amp that has no trouble handling the lowest frequencies of a 4 string bass (just not at stage volume).

I'm still waiting to get my VIP 2, however, waiting to see if anything turns up for a Mac version of Edit; it wouldn't be a deal breaker - but I am jsut waiting. Should probably sell something first,
Greg

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I saw the ad for this amp and went, "whoa!" I primarily play bass in church but the choir director knows what I can do on guitar so he's asked me to bring in a guitar a few times as well. Unfortunately, I don't want to bring in two instruments, two amps, plus my 18-month old son and his diaper bag, especially if I don't end up playing the guitar for whatever reason!

But, if this amp is executed well, it could be a real time - and back -saver for me. I'll probably go with the 20-watt model, but I'll have to hunt one up in a store and try it out.

EDIT: unfortunately no XLR out. I'd still need to bring my Sansamp Bass Driver DI.
Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.

Last edited by Stratburst; November 7th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Supposedly you can use the headphone jack as an output to a PA board. I don't care for that concept. To use the internal speaker and a line out you have to use a stereo plug in the headphone jack pushed in part way.

My solution for XLR connections is to install a 1/4" speaker out jack on the chassis and make a longer jack-to-speaker cord with 18 ga lampcord. I use one of my DI boxes with another 18 ga speaker cord to connect to the speaker out jack.

....or mic to the board.

Plus it allows me to use an external speaker of the same ohmage.