The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #61 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by piphey View Post
hi jim

do you mean the wire needs to be soldered to the actual metal pickup cover and not to the pickup itself?

cheers

phil
Hi Phil,

Yes, the wire is directly soldered to the actual metal pickup cover. You might want to do a search for this on TDPRI, for someone at one time had some excellent images of the actual pickups. Generally speaking, though, and this won't apply to all pickups, but there's usually a very small wire that connects the cover to the pickup wiring that comes out of the bottom plate. That wire is cut so that the cover itself becomes isolated from the rest of the assembly. Then, it's grounded as we've discussed. If you could post some photos of the pickup or let us know what kind of pickup it is, that could be helpful, too.

Jim

jim_pridx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #62 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

just tried that way - soldering direct to the cover. works fine until i ground the other end of the wire to the volume pot - then i lose the bridge pickup out of position 4 (same as position 3). not noticed a wire from the pickup to the cover. stock pickups on japanese 95 model.

phil
piphey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #63 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Works fine until you ground it? Something is weird, and it sounds as though the cover ground hasn't been lifted from the main ground lead within the pickup. Without seeing the pickup, it's hard for me to tell, but perhaps someone who's familiar with those pups will pipe in here.

Jim

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #64 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

aha - just cut the small wire jim and it seems to be sorted!! still a little noisy until you touch the strings on hi gain settings on the amp but i guess this is normal for single coils? excuse my ignorance but i've always been a humbucker man.

phil

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #65 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ahhh.....so you found the wire and got it going. Great! Single-coils will be noisy, but I've found shielding to help quite a bit. It's not a cure-all, but it helps. It also sounds as though you may have some other grounding issues, but it could be the environment you're playing in, too. It probably isn't the pickup if you have to touch the strings to make it more quiet.

I was a humbucker guy for a long time, too, so it's quite all right. Surprisingly, you may just find the fourth position on your Tele to be very "humbucker-like." It seems that some really enjoy that position and others don't, but I'll use it when I really want the Tele to sound a tad bit more like a Les Paul. Enjoy!

Jim

Old July 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #66 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

the switches i got from stew mac for a strat mod i was doing didnt work at all, for the mod i tried. i bought a load of oak grigsby (sp) switches and all is right with the world. i still haven't got around to mapping out the stew mac switches.
doombie22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #67 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

hi jim

yeah i think i may have a grounding issue somewhere. any ideas?

phil

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #68 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hey Phil,

It could be any number of things. If you're playing through an amp in an old house, the old electrical wiring can often times be the culprit. Even an electrical cable to your amp could be the culprit....or the amp itself.....or something a little haywire in the guitar. You really just have to question all the possible sources for any possible interference and track them down one by one. Still, in the end you may never find it. Sorry I can't help you much here.

Jim

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #69 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

thanks for your help jim. just noticed you're in wisconsin. i'm from the uk but was working in racine last year. should have called round with my tele!!

cheers

phil

Old August 13th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #70 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I just hooked up an All-Parts 4 way switch to my the Stuart Blackguard
pickups that arrived last week. Everything was fine except for the typical
problem of the neck pickup always being on. Thanks to Deaf Eddie's postings
I found the cause. On position #1, the ground for the neck pickup wasn't getting disconnected.
I had to pry the one tab up just slightly on the underside of the switch to solve it. Now it works perfectly.
I have "groundus interuptus" on the neck pickup when selecting only the bridge pickup.
jsganz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #71 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hello everybody,

First of all this is a great place to get advice here, I found many answers to my questions. I am currently building a Telecaster project from several parts I gathered.

I want a 4-way switch and I want to use a single-coil format humbucker as Bridge pickup with a Push/pull pot.
I did not find any diagrams online for this setup. All I could find was 3-way switch + bridge HC + neck SC and 4-way switch + 2 single coils.

Pick-ups are both Seymour Duncans.

I was thinking of mixing two SD diagrams which are "Tele with 4 way switch" switch part and 1 HC + 1 SC & Push/pull for the rest. Yet I'm not sure it'll work. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot,
lerpierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #72 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My HW1 has the 4way/Bardens love it! and Talking about some output when u switch to Parallel holy smokes my leads get so big, and full. Sometimes they sound like 80's power metal solos lol. Maybe its time to drop the Metal Zone and find another distortion.

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #73 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
I was thinking of mixing two SD diagrams which are "Tele with 4 way switch" switch part and 1 HC + 1 SC & Push/pull for the rest. Yet I'm not sure it'll work. Can anyone help?
It works.

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #74 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Eddie, or anyone for that matter, when you wire up the 4 way switch, you have the two wires that are jumpered along the lugs of the switch and then on (1) to the vol pot lug and (2) to ground. When you wire these up, do you find it best to just use one wire for each of these, with the insulation stripped enough to contact both lugs on the switch? Or do you run a wire from the switch to the vol pot and another short jumper from lug to lug on the switch? Just about ready to try my hand at wiring and looking for last minute tips.

I like the idea of one wire for each (seems tidier), but I'm not sure the bare wire between the lugs is a great idea.
Two Steps Back is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #75 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If the bare part(s) of the wire won't short against anything, then go ahead and do that (Fender does). Otherwise (i.e. if there is a risk of them touching something) insulate or run separate wires.
cc9cii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #76 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Slightly off topic but I just wired up the 3 way switch in my Tele and used the flip-flopped Series mod on the middle position so I have bridge/bridge-neck-series/neck. I have used the 4 way switches in my Tele many times but find the 3 way easier for switching fast on stage. I also like the more powerful series setting over the weaker parallel setting so I don't miss it. The series is also quieter an punchier with a lot more "Bark".

BTW Great posts Deaf Eddie, I always love reading them and have learned a lot form what you have to say. You really know your stuff Sir.
jonesy333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:03 AM   #77 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thank you to everyone who shared their knowledge above, it helped a lot. But I can't seem to find any info about doing this mod if you DON'T have a covered neck pickup. Specifically, using a p90 instead of the stock Tele pup.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM   #78 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks Deaf Eddie for explaining this 4 way switch wiring. I started another thread before finding this one.

Ray Charles
guitarman_59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #79 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hello all

I'm new here - please be nice.

Can anyone help with a diagram for a 4 way switch with a humbucker bridge pup (with a coil tap switch), single coil neck pup, 2 tone pots and a master volume?

I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.
AndyinLiverpool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #80 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I bought a tele from a friend with the 4 way switch setup and it worked great....then I decided to put a Duncan Little 59 humbucker in the bridge. Now I have a loud buzz that only disappears if I touch the neck pickup or control plate. Any words of wisdom or solutions? The neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan Alnico II (I think)
Telejonf is offline   Reply With Quote