Anybody try to order Hamels recently? - Page 2 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

a friend of mine paid up about 3 months ago after extensive and responsive emailing back and forth to determine his exact needs. He sent the money, and Hamel is nowhere to be found..

toploader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hamels?

After reading poor service/ripoff posts for over a year, people still send Alan Hamel money ?
Do people think they will magically get good service?
Buyer Beware!
Jim Sams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Well maybe he will send out a couple of emails saying he is having internal issues, not to worry, everyone will get their pickups. Then in a few weeks he’ll disappear completely, the forums will go nuts with where is Hammel, where is Hammel. Prices on Ebay will start sky rocketing as talk of him going out of business increases, bringing twice the money they would sold for directly. Then out of the clear blue sky, he may show back up, advertising that he is back in business again, and he was sorry for any problems he may have caused his loyal customers. You can once again feel safe to buy Bardens..errrrrr I mean Hammel pickups that you longed for, without the worry that you will be ripped off.

The best way not to get ripped off is to stop sending money.. No returned emails, phone calls, pickups not shipped.. Come on guys, do you really need his pickups that bad? If you stop sending money, sooner or later he will have to eat, maybe then he’ll understand. There are a zillion pickup winders out there that will treat you like a star for much less money, and be thankful for your business.

Snatch it back and hold it..
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 28th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think those now waiting should get together and get the Feds after him. He's not hard to find. His residence hasn't changed. As soon as my replacement pups get here, I'm dumping mine.
petebradt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What a bummer. I liked Ellis a lot (I had decent service), but I sold mine for the same reason Pete is going to unload his. I like the Voodoos better anyway.
Falstaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2006, 02:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petebradt
I think those now waiting should get together and get the Feds after him. He's not hard to find.
Believe me, I understand everyone's frustration. I waited a little more than 11 months before recieving my set a while ago. (I'll add, with many times being told they were coming up after the 6th month mark.) Yes, Ron helped me out in the end, and they both communicated with me a majority of the time. There were also times when neither would answer me back. I did stick through it, all with good hope. Do I think that anyone should have to deal with that, no way. I definitely don't condone it in the least bit either.

However, I also think that getting the Feds after him is a little over the top too. As has been noted before, one can always file a complaint with the BBB. Hopefully all involved will be compensated for their worries, either by a return of funds, or an expedited set of what you ordered. Alan has always been kind, informative, and enjoyable in conversation. I do hope he can get through all of this mess and save face at the same time. If anything, for himself.
Sunburst Island is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Updates?

Anybody have any updates???

Thanks,

Johnny
telelux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Man.... All I wanted for Christmas was some Alan Hamel pickups! His e-mail doesn't seem to work anymore... Any body have a clue?
pata320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata320
Man.... All I wanted for Christmas was some Alan Hamel pickups! His e-mail doesn't seem to work anymore... Any body have a clue?
In case it isn't painfully obvious by now, you should be sending your hard-earned money to some other pup winder. A short list of totally reliable fantastically talented pickup vendors include: Fred Stuart, Jason Lollar, Lindy Fralin, Don Mare, etc...

Forget about Alan Hamel, for now. Hopefully, some day he will resurface and redeem himself. For now, forget about it.
sidneystreet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I got his address and number people... let's get our pickups!!!

I sent 1 cent to his email and it gave his business number and everything. So then opened a dispute to see if he'll contact from where he's been missing!
pata320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hope this doesn't turn out like the angry mob in Frankenstein.
Sunburst Island is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

What a severe pain in the ass. I'm one of the lucky ones who never had any real issues w/ receiving ordered and paid for pickups and have been a tireless supporter of my favorite pickups and the builder. Ron was always a great help, I'd trust him with my money any day.

This thread has over 1000 viewings, think of the good will that could generate if everyone had positive dealings w/ Alan.

(edit) We need someone to reverse engineering a set of Hamels. Who's listening out there?

Good luck to those who are out $$$.

Last edited by stephent2; December 11th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.
stephent2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #33 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm game

I have his number and addy. I have sent him a few nice letters, and have left him several phone messages....nothing....

I'm open to ideas about what to do next... I really would like to get the pickups I ordered, my money back, or just an email saying "I'm working on it, sorry for the delay!"

Let me know what you think,

Johnny
telelux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #34 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent2
I'm one of the lucky ones who never had any real issues w/ receiving ordered and paid for pickups and have been a tireless supporter of my favorite pickups and the builder
Sadly Stephen, you seem to be an exception to the rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by telelux
I have his number and addy. I have sent him a few nice letters, and have left him several phone messages....nothing....

I'm open to ideas about what to do next... I really would like to get the pickups I ordered, my money back, or just an email saying "I'm working on it, sorry for the delay!"

Let me know what you think,

Johnny
Oddly enough, when I filed a PayPal complaint and altered the local BBB and mysteriously enough my pick ups arrived a few days later. Sadly, they are total rubbish. I guess it's like slagging off the waiter . If only I'd been patient enough to wait another 9-months.

Three words of advice:
  1. Fralin
  2. Lollar
  3. Stuart

You've been warned.

Peter

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Peter, I bristle when you say that Hamels are total rubbish. I'm sure your dealings colored your perception.

It's kind of like saying we who love our Hamels are total idiots and don't know tone. It would a bit more responsible to say that you hated the set you received and leave it at that.

I've owned all the other PUs you mentioned but they aren't on my guitars any longer (although the Stuarts will find another guitar, they are lovely).

Hopefully SOMEONE will be able to produce PUs like the Hamels but without the DRAMA.

Do I hear a far off wind that whispers.....maybe????

Old December 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Telefied

Rule#1 never send $$ to someone who doesnt have a store or at least a webpage with working email. Communication is the key to any deal without communication its impossible to do business anywhere with anyone.

Last edited by Mark Davis; December 11th, 2006 at 05:13 PM.
Mark Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Peter, I bristle when you say that Hamels are total rubbish. I'm sure your dealings colored your perception.

It's kind of like saying we who love our Hamels are total idiots and don't know tone. It would a bit more responsible to say that you hated the set you received and leave it at that.

I've owned all the other PUs you mentioned but they aren't on my guitars any longer (although the Stuarts will find another guitar, they are lovely).

Hopefully SOMEONE will be able to produce PUs like the Hamels but without the DRAMA.

Do I hear a far off wind that whispers.....maybe????
I agree. If you don't like 'em, that's cool, and I agree, your unfortunate dealings may be coloring your perspective. Alan, IMO, made great pickups and shot himself in the foot with a .44 mag in his business dealings. Another casualty on the road that includes Jay Monterose, Joe Barden and several other notables I'll refrain from mentioning.

I'm glad Joe is back on the right road.

I've gotten rid of my Hamels. I still sound as bad as ever. ;)
petebradt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Peter, perhaps after you filed complaints against him (not that you weren't completely justified in doing so), Mr Hamel wound you a "special" set of pickups? Curious. I've never heard another Hamel owner describe them as "rubbish".

I've tried many Tele PUs from different winders, including some from your list, and the Hamel was the best to my ears. It's a shame that he's run his business in such an abysmal fashion. I hope everyone gets their product - or money - refunded.
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebradt
I agree. If you don't like 'em, that's cool, and I agree, your unfortunate dealings may be coloring your perspective.

Stephen / Peter

They really are very poor. I've likened mine to a pair of Fender stock Mexican pick ups. My two main gigging axes have Fralin "Broadcaster" hybrids and Bardens respectively. Both these guitars are in a different league compared to the Hamels, which currently reside in a superb, tonally rich swamp ash body, a big V-shaped Elliot Mechanic neck with quality hardware professionally set up. And they do sound rubbish. Weak, lifeless, nasal and unresponsive to either the volume and tone controls (which I use a lot to dial into the tone I'm after.

I wouldn't have ordered them if I didn't think he was capable of winding a quality pair of pick ups, and in normal circumstances I would have returned them, but as the customer service was so abysmally poor, I figured that I'm stuck with them. And I'm reluctant to sell them because they really are that poor!

When I heard Pete's "Call Home" I loved the tone, but believe me, my Hamels sound NOTHING like that!

Sorry guys, that's the truth.

Peter

Old December 11th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #40 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Peter, Guess you missed the point. Ain't no thing tho. We'll live.