Which pots to bring out the best in my pickups? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Which pots to bring out the best in my pickups?

OK, 250's for single coils. 500's for humbuckers. As a rule of thumb anyway. In fact those 250's with single coils are exactly what I love about Fender guitars. That ability to have such control over my tone ,right there from the guitar.Set the amp up a little nastier and brighter than I normaly would,then dial it in at the guitar. We know it and love it. Enter my beloved Jerry Jones Neptune. 3 pickups ,double cutaway, Dano inspired,Dano look-a-laike. I LOVE this thing. It has REPLACED my tele. But one problem. It does NOT respond the way Fender wiring does. You can't just roll back the volume a bit and clean it up. It has 500k pots on single coil "lipstick tube" pickups. WHY? Does anyone know what kind of pots were on the original Dano's. Or even if the original Dano's even reacted the way fender's do? Would switching to 250's do it,or are the lipstick tube pickups THAT much different than a "traditional" single coil?
If I could get this thing to react to volume and tone adjustments ,like my Tele,I'd be ALL good. 8)
Questions,comments,suggestions?

bgwatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The lipsticks are wound really low, in the 4K range for great clean tones and I think maybe to compensate for the tubular cover damping some high end. I'm not sure what they originally came with back in the day, 250K or 500K. I would think they would be brighter with the 500K pots versus the 250K. I think if you went with 250K pots and a treble mod on the volume pot you could roll the volume back and still have all the tone. There are a lot smarter guys on that sort of thing than me so this is just my thinking outloud. :D

So Many Guitars-So little Money DOH!!!!!
benbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

And if 250k was too dark, you could always try a 300k.
RockinCarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I use fairly standard Tele pickups ( Bill Lawrence T3 Bridge and Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder neck) and found after much experimentation that 250K pots and 0.047 cap on tone pot WITH 0.001 microfarad treble bleed cap wired between input and output lugs of volume pot worked for me.

I tried a 500K volume pot, and whilst it cleaned up the bass in an almost crystaline fashion and emphasised the treble a lot it gave me two problems;

1) treble too shrill, more shriek than twang.

2) volume pot swells too slow.

I tried a 0.022 cap on the tone pot, but it did not seem to mellow enough when rolling off the tone for jazz stuff. Putting the 0.001 treble bleed capacitor on the volume and leaving the tone cap at 0.047 microfarad has given me my favourite range of Telecaster tones.