Removing polepieces from bobbins? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 28th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Removing polepieces from bobbins?

How do you do it,
I have some squire strat pickups that I would like to repurpose. I've tried and tried and dismantled this pivkup and can't seem to get them out.

XxJoshxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

They are possibly super glued in place. You're probably better off either making your own or buying some off e-bay. They are relatively cheap.

Old December 29th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Josh,

So what are you trying to do with these pups?

Rob
Barncaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 29th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

They /should/ just push out.
I used a nut for a cup and a ball bearing as a drift and clamped it up in a vise. The ball will stick to the magnet and pushes the pole out into the hole of the nut (so its got somewhere to go). They may well be glued in, the vise will break that bond but it may also break the coil wires too. Once moving you should be able to shift them right out "by hand".

It doesn't look like an alnico. Is that paint on it? Was there a ceramic magnet slung under it? - if ceramic then the poles are steel slugs not magnets.

I'd like to know what re-purposing you're intending too?

Old December 29th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

As a general rule, plastic bobbin pickups are more likely to survive this than fibre bobbin ones, I assume you're going to replace the steel slugs with alnico magnets and just reuse the coil to create an alnico pickup? I've done this and yes it does work but the chances of busting the coil are pretty high, I wrecked two before I got one to work. Also be aware that not all slugs are the same size and a fraction of a millimetre difference in diameter can mean either the new slug not fitting at all or falling out of the hole. Be prepared to scrap the pickup and only try this if you know you can easily throw it away without any great loss. Having said that, if you can get away with it, it does work ok but don't be tempted to tap the polepieces as that will ruin their magnetivity and probably knock chips out of them.
Pete McC is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I know it works on fibreboard alnico pickups, it is how you adjust pole stagger, but I've not done it with a plastic bobbin ceramic.

Bobbins for ceramic are generally not as tall because there has to be room for the magnet below. So the wind will be different too, maybe a different gauge wire.

The ceramic magnet is actually more powerful than an alnico set, because it is bigger, but it is further away from the strings. So you end up with roughly the same field strength at the business end but at a lower flux density in most designs. Generally that means the alnico has better dynamics

Old December 29th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

plastic bobbins are easy to remove the rod mags or slugs - use a blunt nail and a tack hammer. won't affect anything since the rods are encased in the preformed plastic bobbin. attempting to push out rod mags from vintage build flatware bobbins will definitely destroy the coil wire, but you'll retrieve the rod mags. edit: unless the flatware build rod mags are super glued in

Classic Guitar & Bass Pickups
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Humbucker flatware costs 70 cents and slugs cost $2.15 for the set of 6 at Mojotone. Why would you repurpose these old parts? Wire is too expensive to risk snagging it on old flatware.

Old December 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It was a success! Ihad a whole bunch of these that i had no use for so I decided to try to make a working pickup for the 8 string that im building. I wanted to see If Icould use these before I spent money on new ones.But if theyre that cheap imay just buy some.
XxJoshxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob DiStefano View Post
plastic bobbins are easy to remove the rod mags or slugs - use a blunt nail and a tack hammer. won't affect anything since the rods are encased in the preformed plastic bobbin. attempting to push out rod mags from vintage build flatware bobbins will definitely destroy the coil wire, but you'll retrieve the rod mags. edit: unless the flatware build rod mags are super glued in
I've moved alnico magnets many times in vintage flatware builds without breaking the wire. I've done this to adjust the pole stagger from vintage 3W to modern 3P, not push the rod right out, although it should be possible to do so to reverse polarity if wished..

There is a risk and I do it carefully, maybe I've been lucky but I've not managed to break a coil wire yet. I've got it down to a bit of a fine art now. With the first move there's always a bit of stiction, which may be glue, potting or lacquer, but once it has been moved a little I can then shift them with my thumb. Adjusting an alnico with a hammer is not in the book.

Old December 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrs View Post
I've moved alnico magnets many times in vintage flatware builds without breaking the wire. I've done this to adjust the pole stagger from vintage 3W to modern 3P, not push the rod right out, although it should be possible to do so to reverse polarity if wished..

There is a risk and I do it carefully, maybe I've been lucky but I've not managed to break a coil wire yet. I've got it down to a bit of a fine art now. With the first move there's always a bit of stiction, which may be glue, potting or lacquer, but once it has been moved a little I can then shift them with my thumb. Adjusting an alnico with a hammer is not in the book.
i strongly disagree. there is a HUGE risk in messing with vintage flatware and removing rod magnets. folks need to be very aware of what they're doing and the consequences they face. before trying remove those rod mags, ask yerself, "am i feeling lucky doing this?". you have been warned.

Classic Guitar & Bass Pickups
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Keep in mind most of the boutique winders use superglue around there flatwork where the magnets go through .which attempting to change the stagger is a very bad ideal
Fender don't always use super glue ..I'm rewinding a US fender pickup right & there no glue used on the top of the flatwork
copperheadroad is offline   Reply With Quote