Sd mini humbucker - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Sd mini humbucker

I have decided I would like to drop a sd minihumbucker into the neck pickup position. I have been researching wiring information etc. Is there anyplace I could find information regarding wiring diagrams out there? Should I keep the same stock pots? I am a novice to this.
thanks

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The Seymour Duncan website has some great wiring diagrams, and the other master circuit designer is phostenix. All you have to do though is run the the lead to the switch where the old wire went, and run the metal mesh to the back of the volume pot.

Whether you need a new bridge pickup really depends on what mini humbucker you ordered and what bridge pickup you already have, not to mention personal taste. Chances are though, that you can get the balance pretty close by fiddling with pickup height.
AJBaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1sing_1humneck

Im assuming you mean in a tele. this is the diagram I used to wire up mine. Its for a humbucker in the neck and I would assume a mini is no different wiring wise.
loversmoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 10th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by loversmoon69 View Post
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1sing_1humneck

Im assuming you mean in a tele. this is the diagram I used to wire up mine. Its for a humbucker in the neck and I would assume a mini is no different wiring wise.
If the mini is a 4-wire pickup, the above diagram is absolutely correct.

If it is a shielded wire with a single center conductor, the center conductor goes to the switch and the shield (ground) goes to the pot ground.

If your bridge pickup is a Fender brand, you will likely have a polarity problem and you will have to revise the 4-wire diagram to put the green to hot and the black/bare to the pot ground. If you have a Fender brand bridge pickup and a shielded single wire bucker, you will have to float the ground on the bridge pickup, reverse the hot and ground wires.

I would try the stock pots (assuming you have 250k) and if the neck pickup is too dull, switch to 500k (tone first, then vol if it's still too dull) or go with a no-load tone pot.

What is your bridge pickup? You should be able to get a decent balance playing with pickup heights, but if not, check back for more recommendations.

Good luck,
George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

My bridge pickup is a oc duff vintage but I also have a sd jerry donahoue that I was thinking of putting in the bridge.

Old October 12th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I recently put a 1970 Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck and a SD vintage stack in the bridge of my tele. I first tried the 375K alpha pots like Fender puts in the Hot Rod Tele. I did not realize that the Hot Red Tele actually has a Gibson Firebird style pickup in the neck. For me, the 375K pots were not right for the mini-humbucker. They did not let all of the pickup through. I then put in 500K CTS audio taper, and that works. There are times when I back the treble off when I am using the bridge pickup, but not always. I would rather have a 500K in both positions, even if I have to back off the treble on the bridge tone control. The mini in the neck makes the guitar very versatile. And the middle position has a great clucky sound.

Old October 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Either bridge pickup should work with what you want to do. The JD (being a SD) might be more compatible wiring wise.

I have an O.C. Duff neck pickup with a JD bridge and don't recall having any problems.

Here's what one of our members did with a Klein Minibucker and a Fret Tech Cavalier Lion.

500k pots and a resistor to make the bridge pickup to see a 250k pot.
SPUDCASTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i always loved that vid. didnt realize they were a member here. awesome. love the tone.
loversmoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a Duncan SM-1 in the guitar on the right and a Kent Armstrong Firebird pickup in one on the left. I hope to have a video demo to compare the two sometime this week.

vintage clubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage clubber View Post
I have a Duncan SM-1 in the guitar on the right and a Kent Armstrong Firebird pickup in one on the left. I hope to have a video demo to compare the two sometime this week.
Can't wait!
radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

vintage clubber is offline   Reply With Quote