Lollar Charlie Christian - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Lollar Charlie Christian

The stock Fender pickups in my '07 Nocaster sounded pretty darn good, but were very low output compared to my P90 and Humbucker equipped guitars. My goal was to jack up the output and add a little more thickness to the tone without losing the iconic Tele sound. I got looking around and found these:

These pickups deliver in spades. The output is about the same as the P90s in my R6. The neck position is clearly Telecaster, but warm and full without being dark. Middle and Bridge sounds are similar to stock, but bigger and a little warmer. Center is supposed to be hum cancelling but my toy room is pretty quiet so nothing hums anyway. No shortage of twang and you can still tell what strings are wound and which are plain. The bottom end is huge now, like piano huge. Easily as much bass response as my Humbucker guitars, but in a decidedly single coil sound. My 1X12 Victoria Ivy League (Fender 5F10 Harvard clone) has never sounded bigger.

The installation requires two new routes. A bigger one for the neck and a deepening of the bridge route. Lollar has drawings on their website or you can buy a router template from them. I used their pickguard but made my own router template for the body. The neck pickup comes two ways, body mount and pickguard mount. I chose body mount because I'm anal about screws showing. Pickguard mount would have been a lower stress proposition. Getting everything lined up perfect with body mount was a little tougher. Being an anal retentive engineer type guy, I needed the pickup to be perfectly centered in the pickguard hole. It took a bit of planning. Worked out OK though.

Last edited by RJLII; July 20th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
RJLII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've always liked the Tim Lerch demo's, not only for his playing, but for the simplicity of his sound. He does not try to be all over the map with his Lollar '52/Charlie Christian combination - but uses his guitar and amp to move around within a sonic spectrum as needed. More about the playing and music, for him.

When you consider more than winds and resistance - like pickup architecture - you can get into the "big bottom end but clear single coil sound" territory. I think lipstick pickups can get there, too - though not many people talk about them. The JL CC neck pickup is one of the few "boutique" pickups I would consider as it's "another kind" of pickup.

Job well done, looks great.

Greg
Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great job on installing. I have been considering one of these neck pickups too
adjason is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Tim Lurch has the best demos. Lollar does great work too :D
Derek Kiernan is online now   Reply With Quote