10k Nocaster pickups - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

10k Nocaster pickups

So I just recently found out that the previous sets of Fender Nocaster pickups were a lot hotter than the current versions. So where can I find a set of Nocaster pickups that are that hot?

Sent from my iPod touch using TDPRI

dogfootblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Get a Broadcaster bridge pup.
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have never used them but the Tone Rider Hot set uses a bridge wound at 9.1K with alnico 3 magnets which is a common magnet for "Nocaster billed" bridge pickups. They claim the neck is at 7.2

I'm not sure what "level" of boutique-ness you are after either.
Reeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 20th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Rumpelstiltskin makes a 50's black rope that is around 10k. Aaron will wind it however you like. I also REALLY love Klein's Epic Nocaster pickups! They are only in the high 8k but are just the most beautiful sounding pickups I have ever heard. The other bonus is the neck pickup is very useable and the "in series" sound with a 4 way switch is super fat yet clear.

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

you can not compare tele bridge pups that use different gauge coil wire - that's like the classic apples to oranges comparison. i see this happening here all the time.

a "nocaster" (OR "broadcaster" - these names are exchanged quite liberally) wound with 9700 turns of 43awg coil wire will have a higher dcr value (about 9.7k) than the same pup wound with 9700 turns of 42awg coil wire (about 7.7k dcr) and they will sound totally different.

the moral of this is that you CAN'T use dcr to evaluate any two or more pickups, UNLESS all of the pickups in question have the exact SAME footprint and build. what that means is, if the bobbin and materials are essentially the same spex, then dcr will be a reflection of the bobbin's coil wire turn count.

a tele bridge pup that meters 10k will almost always sport 43awg coil wire (about 10,000 turns). to get that same 10k dcr from that bobbin with 42awg coil wire, the bobbin must use very Very tall rod magnets and require well over 12,000 turns of 42awg coil wire. VASTLY different pickups!

Classic Guitar & Bass Pickups
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesjkexperienc View Post
Rumpelstiltskin makes a 50's black rope that is around 10k. Aaron will wind it however you like. I also REALLY love Klein's Epic Nocaster pickups! They are only in the high 8k but are just the most beautiful sounding pickups I have ever heard. The other bonus is the neck pickup is very useable and the "in series" sound with a 4 way switch is super fat yet clear.
"nocaster" and "broadcaster" are interchangeable pickup labels.

klein's "nocaster" uses 42awg wire and well wound.

rumpelstiltskin's "50's black rope" uses 43awg wire and is alluded as a "broadcaster".

very different tele/esquire bridge pickups.

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a Rumpestiltskin in mine and it's the best Tele bridge pup I've heard. I know a little about the different magnet types and wire gauges etc...but what I really know is what I like.
gmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann View Post
I have a Rumpestiltskin in mine and it's the best Tele bridge pup I've heard. I know a little about the different magnet types and wire gauges etc...but what I really know is what I like.
exactly. the bottom line to any pickup is always what you hear. messing around with the technical info can cause issues, particularly when things are unintentionally mismatched. stick with trusting yer ears - don't pander to the hype and wannabe speak.

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesjkexperienc View Post
I have this set in one of my Teles. They are amazing!
Reeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfootblues View Post
So I just recently found out that the previous sets of Fender Nocaster pickups were a lot hotter than the current versions. So where can I find a set of Nocaster pickups that are that hot?
The "old" reissue Nocaster pickups were hot - around 9k or 10k for the bridge, and then around 2000 or so, there was a change to about mid 7k +/-.

I bought one from the Stratosphere a few years ago for about $50, although I didn't know it was an older ones until I measured the resistance, which was 10.25k.
H. Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

a 9k-10k tele bridge pup wound with 43awg coil wire is not "hot". it actually has far Far FAR less coil wire turns than a 9.5k tele bridge pup wound with 42awg coil wire - we're talking thousands of turns less. it's unusual to find a tele bridge pup that measures 9k or above that's wound with 42awg unless the rod magnets are unusually tall. this kinda tele/esquire bridge pup build is NOT the norm.

once again, this is where you need to know precisely what the build is on a pup in order to make correct comparisons of dcr, which is solely a reflection of the bobbin turn count of a specific gauge of coil wire.

and also, again, the "nocaster" and "broadcaster" labels are interchangeable, as is the use of 43awg and 42awg coil wire for these early, vintage style fender pickups. spex on these pups were the results of materials on hand, for the most part. gotta love uncle leo ....

Old July 24th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfootblues View Post

Sent from my iPod touch using TDPRI
Rob is correct. The two Nocaster pickups referenced are comparable in output. 43awg wire has a significantly higher DC resistance than 42 because it is thinner, but it is the number of turns that determines the output (assuming the magnet strength is equivalent).

Some pickup makers perpetuate the myth that DC resistance is a measure of "output," but that is nonsense without further information allowing one to compare apples to apples.
Dr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote