pickups for maple body guitars..?? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 5th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

pickups for maple body guitars..??

still on the hunt for some replacement pickups for my MIM tele and i realized that since maple bodies have a tendency to sound really bright ( sometimes even thin) , i might have to stay away from certain pickups .

i still want my tele to have that cool twang/bite but not annoying and brittle so i was wondering what are some pickups that might compliment this bright wood and what are some i should really stay away from

this is the first time i own a maple body guitar ( im usually used to ash wood)

any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.

thanks

sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

One possibility

You might want to take a look at Harmonic Design pickups. They are stronger in their output and seem to have more guts to their tone. I have a S-90 in the bridge of my ash Tele and a Vintage + in the neck slot. Whenever I sell a guitar, I always keep the HD pickups. Check the HD site - the descriptions are pretty accurate.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/

I've also had good luck with Rio Grande pickups - they, too, have a meatier sound that might overcome the inherent highs that maple brings out.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Have fun with your project!

Dean

Old July 5th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Re: One possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean
You might want to take a look at Harmonic Design pickups. They are stronger in their output and seem to have more guts to their tone. I have a S-90 in the bridge of my ash Tele and a Vintage + in the neck slot. Whenever I sell a guitar, I always keep the HD pickups. Check the HD site - the descriptions are pretty accurate.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/

I've also had good luck with Rio Grande pickups - they, too, have a meatier sound that might overcome the inherent highs that maple brings out.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Have fun with your project!

Dean
thanks dean!

off to check out the links.....

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old July 5th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

`

<li>Scott (at Harmonic Design pickups) is a TDPRI member and will answer any questions yew mite haff.
<li>He posted the other day on the main board and emailed me sayin " i'm kinda lost on that whole dang-deal, --there's way too many things happnin' on there at once for me" HEE! HEE! and he iss rite. It's hard ta stay focused roun these parts nowdaze but he mite make it over here.

0.F.
0le FUZZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Re: `

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0le FUZZY
<li>Scott (at Harmonic Design pickups) is a TDPRI member and will answer any questions yew mite haff.
<li>He posted the other day on the main board and emailed me sayin " i'm kinda lost on that whole dang-deal, --there's way too many things happnin' on there at once for me" HEE! HEE! and he iss rite. It's hard ta stay focused roun these parts nowdaze but he mite make it over here.

0.F.
his site looks really interesting

hope he reads this thread! :D

Old July 6th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

> "still on the hunt for some replacement pickups for my MIM tele and i realized that since maple bodies"

Which MIM Tele has a maple body?

Old July 7th, 2003, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964
> "still on the hunt for some replacement pickups for my MIM tele and i realized that since maple bodies"

Which MIM Tele has a maple body?
as a huge tele fan im ashamed to say im not sure what model i own...its a sunburst with white pickguard...maple neck

it sure looks like its maple.....maybe im wrong....time to do some research

Old July 7th, 2003, 06:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

A maple body MIM? Hard to believe, but I guess anything is possible. Heck, if I was a solid body g'tar manufacturer today, I'd use whatever wood I could get that was the cheapest ... hmm, sorta like what Leo did from the get-go. 8)

On the subject of "what pups will best match my xxxx wood body" .... IMO, it's not about the genus of the wood, it's about the overall wood density plus a whole buncha other factors about the design (the body routs are kinda sonically important, IMO), materials and overall construction that make up the g'tar, which in turn helps define the overall g'tar "tone". "Maple wood" is almost meaningless, as there are lotsa flavors of that wood type, and you can find different densities of chunks of wood taken from the same tree. YMMV.

Classic Guitar & Bass Pickups
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero
Rob DiStefano is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob DiStefano
A maple body MIM? Hard to believe, but I guess anything is possible. Heck, if I was a solid body g'tar manufacturer today, I'd use whatever wood I could get that was the cheapest ... hmm, sorta like what Leo did from the get-go. 8)

On the subject of "what pups will best match my xxxx wood body" .... IMO, it's not about the genus of the wood, it's about the overall wood density plus a whole buncha other factors about the design (the body routs are kinda sonically important, IMO), materials and overall construction that make up the g'tar, which in turn helps define the overall g'tar "tone". "Maple wood" is almost meaningless, as there are lotsa flavors of that wood type, and you can find different densities of chunks of wood taken from the same tree. YMMV.
hmmm interesting post....thanks for chiming in man.

i still wanna know what wood my MIM is made out of though.

Old July 7th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst
I can understand that if it's outta curiosity - but otherwise, if the g'tar "speaks to ya", who cares? 8)

Old July 7th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Quote:
I can understand that if it's outta curiosity - but otherwise, if the g'tar "speaks to ya", who cares? 8)
well its not speaking to me like it should be ( although it seems promising) , my stock pickups sound like crap

but yeah im just curious .

Old July 7th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
well its not speaking to me like it should be ( although it seems promising) , my stock pickups sound like crap

Welp mate, seems like it's time for you to start playing "g'tar pickup musical chairs" ... I sure don't envy having to go that route again m'self.

To each their own, for sure, but ... for noiseless, I like a Bill Lawrence L290TLE for the bridge and an L280TN for the neck; for true single coils, I like most any of those Rio Grandes, Fralins or VanZandts.

I'd think any of those pups would more than get ya in the tasty toned Telecaster ballpark, but as always, this is really subjective sonic stuff so YMMV.

Old July 7th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Quote:

Welp mate, seems like it's time for you to start playing "g'tar pickup musical chairs" ... I sure don't envy having to go that route again m'self.

To each their own, for sure, but ... for noiseless, I like a Bill Lawrence L290TLE for the bridge and an L280TN for the neck; for true single coils, I like most any of those Rio Grandes, Fralins or VanZandts.

I'd think any of those pups would more than get ya in the tasty toned Telecaster ballpark, but as always, this is really subjective sonic stuff so YMMV.
pickup musical chairs sounds like a blast ,unfortunately i dont have alot of cash to throw around and experiment with different pickups

i have been checking out the Rio Grandes site lately....looks pretty cool. also thinking about the broadcaster since so many guys here rave about it.( i just hope its not too muddy, hate bassy pickups)

thanks for the cool discussion

Old July 7th, 2003, 07:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, the Broadcaster isn't muddy... It has more midrange than some other pickups, but no muddy...

BTW, you're MIM guitar is probably built of poplar or alder -- not maple AFAIK -- and the broadcaster will work fine in that. Just about anything will be better than the stock MIM p'up....
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Well, the Broadcaster isn't muddy... It has more midrange than some other pickups, but no muddy...

BTW, you're MIM guitar is probably built of poplar or alder -- not maple AFAIK -- and the broadcaster will work fine in that. Just about anything will be better than the stock MIM p'up....
thanks for the heads up on the wood type.

umm...when you say more midrange than most pickups , do you mean gritty and congested or is it a smooth sort of midrange?

also can you get a nice twangy/classic type of tele sound out of it if you want to?

Old July 8th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

IMO the midrange is a nice bump that attenuates the highs a bit. I think that a lot of tele pups are just too icepick-y, and the B'caster doesn't do that. It gives a nice, fat, but twangy sound.

I've used both Broadcasters and the Fender 52 RI in alder-bodied guitars, and prefer the Broadcaster. That said, a lot of it depends on your amp. I run mine on the bright side, cos I've got to get the treble from a variety of guitars. If my treble was rolled back, I might prefer the 52RI. Also, my preamp tubes are E-H 12AX7's. I tried some JJ preamp tubes and they were less bright; again, with those tubes I might prefer the 52RI....

It's not like I choose pickups based on my tubes, though. I'd just readjust the amp to make it sound the way I want! In short, the Broadcaster pickup is a good, basic pickup: a bit fatter (but not muddy) than the 52RI, but still in the same ballpark.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2003, 02:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
IMO the midrange is a nice bump that attenuates the highs a bit. I think that a lot of tele pups are just too icepick-y, and the B'caster doesn't do that. It gives a nice, fat, but twangy sound.

I've used both Broadcasters and the Fender 52 RI in alder-bodied guitars, and prefer the Broadcaster. That said, a lot of it depends on your amp. I run mine on the bright side, cos I've got to get the treble from a variety of guitars. If my treble was rolled back, I might prefer the 52RI. Also, my preamp tubes are E-H 12AX7's. I tried some JJ preamp tubes and they were less bright; again, with those tubes I might prefer the 52RI....

It's not like I choose pickups based on my tubes, though. I'd just readjust the amp to make it sound the way I want! In short, the Broadcaster pickup is a good, basic pickup: a bit fatter (but not muddy) than the 52RI, but still in the same ballpark.
thanks so much Kevin.

sounds like a good pickup then...oh , and just for the sake of conversation i own a fender supertwin...not the best E.Q section but so far im very happy with this amp!

i will definitely consider the broadcaster

still looking into the rio grandes though..just something about being able to switch from humbucker to single that really interests me

mucho thanks

Old July 8th, 2003, 03:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Personally, I'd take Fender's No-Caster pup over Duncan's Broadcaster.

Old July 8th, 2003, 03:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

> "still looking into the rio grandes though..just something about being able to switch from humbucker to single that really interests me"

Split 'buckers produce weak and thoroughly compromised single-coil tone.

Old July 8th, 2003, 04:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964
Split 'buckers produce weak and thoroughly compromised single-coil tone.
I'd agree that most split humbuckers are woefully anemic. But Joe Barden offers a bucker-sized "Two-Tone" model that runs a tap out of each coil to give the "split" mode the same output level as his regular p'ups. -- CS
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote