72 Reissue Pick-ups - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

72 Reissue Pick-ups

Hi all,

This has probably been covered already, but is anyone aware of worthwhile aftermarket humbuckers for the 72RI? I go for an almost acoustic tone, but less metallic.

I find the stock pick ups a bit muddy on chordal work, and thin melodically, though at the end of the day they're not too bad.

Thanks

Rialto1564 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

http://www.telenator.com/

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I believe Fender uses 250k pots for those reissue WRHBs (which are nothing like the originals in design). That's why they're generally considered too muddy. You can cure this by swapping the pots for higher value ones (generally 500k is the choice for humbuckers but there are other values to experiment with).

If you want to make them closer to the original WRHBs Fender produced in the early '70s, Telenator makes a great line of products.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 12th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks guys!

I tried the 500k pot swap and while it did brighten things up a bit, it also exaggerated the negative qualities of the pickups.

The new, re-voiced re-issue WRHBs are better than the first version of the re-issues and are much more user friendly. They sound decent with a bit of over-drive, but are still a little cold when played clean.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Catswhisker makes the cheapest one of all and it's never the less a total quality build and they sound fantastic. Much much better than stock, even a lot better then the stocks after i modded them with alnico slug magnets and removed the bar mag. They're around $120-130 shipped depending on whether he has any on ebay of you but them direct from the website. Thats $60 cheaper than the next cheapest one. And of course as was already mentioned, telenator will mod your pickups for cheaper even still at i believe $85 each . I went for the CW because i wanted a whole new pickup vs having mine modded (which i did myself anyways) but if that doesn't matter to you, telenators get great reviews here. Anyways, i just received my 2nd CW after buying one to be sure i like them and i will be installing it tonite. I will update the review i did here a week or 2 ago once i do.
fender4life is online now   Reply With Quote