Bill Lawrence got the noisless and microcoils what next - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Bill Lawrence got the noisless and microcoils what next

So I have had a set of Bill's excellent noiseless PU's in for a while but ordered up a set of microcoils for my thinline to see how they sound. I know that the differences are not big but still noticing a difference. They are both excellent for hum reduction is something I noticed right away. So the microcils seem in my setup to have less diference from the neck to bridge. The noisless did produce a more distinct sound from neck to bridge in my setup. I was going to swap back the neck and have a noiseless neck and microcoil bridge but figured I would let the microcoils percolate for a while to see how my ears adjusted to them adding some distance from the familiarity factor.
I thank the forum members for putting me onto Bills PU's to start with, Derek's and others enthusiasm had to be explored and I am glad I did.
Cheers Ron.

Mongo Park is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The pickups you had before were the L202TN and L290TL? It makes a lot of sense the micros sound much more alike between positions. If you want the microcoil neck position to sound more like the L202TN, you could try lowering the pickup height and raising the poles a bit. Did you adjust with the nickel method to set the heights initially?

I'm glad you're enjoying them :)
Derek Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Also, you can check out some of Bill's recent videos where he demos microcoils.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7413075&type=2

The Esquire Wiring Demo #2 demonstrates the micro bridge with a Q-filter to get neck-type tones out. The bridge position is much more versatile overall as the location of the pickup doesn't cancel out lower order harmonics or have the balance shift dramatically as you work your way around the fingerboard. With moderate inductance low-Q pickups and good fundamental content (which the micros provide), the bridge position should sound more similar to the neck, especially with options like the Q-filter.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 9th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Derek, Yes L202TN and L290TL, thanks for the info I have them close with the nickle but needs a little fine adjustment so I will try what you suggested, thank you very much for this detail. Cheers Ron.

Old June 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've got a used set of the Noiseless jobbies sitting on my luthier's desk...and twin blades ready to be installed in my BSB....
The noiseless will go into my planned first partscaster/build

Bill and company make a fantastic product...I was blessed to have spent half an hour on the line talking to bill about pickups, tone woods, cabling, and pretty much everything else under the sun not too long ago...great guy. Very knowledgeable.

I'll probably use his products in my guitars for the rest of my life.

Last edited by TheFlyingAlamo; June 9th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
TheFlyingAlamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here's the "nickel method" from Bill's Pickupology, for everyone's reference:

3. The distance between pickup and string is a very important factor for output and sound.

As a general rule for the bridge pickup - put a nickel on top of the pickup under the high E string and play the highest note on that string. Adjust the height on that side of the pickup till the string touches the nickel. Repeat the same with the low E string, but use two nickels on top of each other. If this gives you too much output, you can reduce the height slightly. Don't forget that twice the distance will reduce the output by about 60%, and the sound will lose some lows. NOW, you can adjust the neck pickup to match the output of the bridge pickup. For the sound test, use stage volume.

Old June 10th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Microcoils are not hum-canceling. Bill doesn't claim that they are, anywhere I've seen, but yet on these web forums I keep seeing them labeled as such. They are "true" single coil PUs. I have & use a set. Interesting sound. Little or no buzz. But they hum pretty much like all SC PUs.
Donelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I pulled out my '83 toploader last week, it has an L202TN and an L290TL in it with a switchable Q-filter. Phew that is some pup combo, it's in heavy rotation again. Been thinking of building another partscaster and put on the set of microcoils I have on hand. The postman should be bringing a set of Bill's singles (L280SN/M and an S290SL) for another Bill's Strat I'm reworking. I really like what I hear from every pick up I've gotten from Bill and Becky. Have another guitar with an L298TL and an L45S in the neck and a set of 2-L45S and an L48TL for a future synth guitar build I'm collecting the goodies for. Wilde pickups really are gems. They allow your instrument to sound just exactly as it should. If your looking for pristine clarity and high fidelity definition they are truly the best alternative. Pedal seem to love 'em and a heavily cranked amp too, whats NOT to like? Guess I've drank the Koolaid eh?
benderb9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donelson View Post
Microcoils are not hum-canceling.
I don't think anyone here has said otherwise?

Old June 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I adjusted things a little more last night, as stated in othet threads a slight adjustment makes quites a change. They are sounding beter as I go along, figure it will take a while to really get the most out of these. I am liking the adjustable pole screws although sublte changes is all that is needed. I am liking the microcoils i have made the right move here. I will save the noisless for another build as they are exelent, I guess as stated over and over, if it is the sound/tone you seek it is in set of PU's they are right for you, the L202TN is a unique neck PU in a thinline.
Cheers Ron