Need a TELE neck pickup that can keep up with a 10k Broadcaster bridge. Suggestions? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Need a TELE neck pickup that can keep up with a 10k Broadcaster bridge. Suggestions?

Simple question. My prime concern is clarity and I mainly play blues. I'm open to normal style Tele neck pickups as well as "Tall" options too. I want a COVERED neck pickup too, I recently figured out that the cover plays a definite roll in the Tele neck pickup sound in my head.

What are my options?

thrashmetl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Rose Bourbon
Fender Twisted Tele
Duncan Quarter Pound
vintage clubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmetl View Post
Simple question.
Simple question? Maybe, but maybe not.

The trick is to pick the pickup that you like best out of the few hundred that are available, usually without trying it out in your guitar, and while realizing that just about everyone has a different idea of the meaning of the phrase, "a Tele pickup that can keep up with a 10k Broadcaster bridge pickup."

This is the best sounding Tele neck pickup that I know of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BzedNXbuI

and it goes with my 10.25k Nocaster bridge pickup like ham goes with eggs. It's 7.8k, nickel/silver cover, 43 plain enamel wire, and Alnico 5.

The cover material makes a difference, and has been addressed in lots of threads. The rule of thumb is that nickel/silver is clear and bright sounding, while the more vintage correct brass/chrome is darker.

Here's a thread I started a while back, and the responses were really helpful:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pick...el-silver.html

Last edited by H. Mac; June 8th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
H. Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 8th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Mac View Post

Simple question? Maybe, but maybe not.

The trick is to pick the pickup that you like best out of the few hundred that are available, usually without trying it out in your guitar, and while realizing that just about everyone has a different idea of the meaning of the phrase, "a Tele pickup that can keep up with a 10k Broadcaster bridge pickup."

This is the best sounding Tele neck pickup that I know of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BzedNXbuI

and it goes with my 10.25k Nocaster bridge pickup like ham goes with eggs. It's 7.8k, nickel/silver cover, 43 plain enamel wire, and Alnico 5.

The cover material makes a difference, and has been addressed in lots of threads. The rule of thumb is that nickel/silver is clear and bright sounding, while the more vintage correct brass/chrome is darker.

Here's a thread I started a while back, and the responses were really helpful:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pick...el-silver.html
Believe me, I know all about covers. I've owned a million different Tele pickups, and I've had some that were very good, but I'm looking for something that will keep up with a Broadcaster this time as I've never gone this hot before. Yours is the really the first solid answer I've got since I started looking, but you forgot to actually name the pickup. Is it an OC Duff Big Boy?

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmetl View Post
Yours is the really the first solid answer I've got since I started looking, but you forgot to actually name the pickup. Is it an OC Duff Big Boy?
Oops! Yep. I didn't name the pickup. In the demo, he says they're O.C. Duff "52s," but since there's no "52s" listed on the O.C. Duff site, I emailed Colt Knight (who gave me lots of great pickup info), and then emailed Owen Duffy.

The "52s" are really the O.C. Duff Guardsmans, and Owen had kept the specs for the pickups that he made for the guitar that's in the demo. So he was able to make mine to the same specs as in the demo (and they're in my first post).

I went with the Guardsman because I was building a partscaster as close as I could get to 1953 specs, and was using Nacho's book as a guide (although I went with a nickel silver cover instead of brass over chrome).

The Guardsmans seem more "vintage correct" than the Fender Nocaster neck pickup because the Nocaster uses Alnico 3, and the original Blackguard neck pickups (according Nacho specs) used Alnico 5.

So I went with the best sounding neck pickup I'd heard, the one that Colt Knight thinks is good (and he knows pickups!), and the one that's as close to Blackguard specs as you can get.

And on top of all this, Owen was great to deal with!
H. Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Check out the Jim Weider Big T from Analogman.
birv2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birv2 View Post
Will it keep up in terms of gain or when I switch from the bridge to the neck will it not be quite as dirty?

Old June 8th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Check out the page here with links to it being used by Jim Weider: http://www.buyanalogman.com/ProductD...=AM-BIGTPickup

It does a better job of answering your questions than I ever could.
birv2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birv2 View Post
This is a great neck pup. Nice clarity & great punch for a neck pickup thanks to the longer magnets & special wire wrap.
MASONish is offline   Reply With Quote