Jonny Lang - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Jonny Lang

Perhaps some of you players are familiar with the Tele playing Jonny Lang?
Web info provides that on his Tele Thinline he uses Bill Lawrence 500L and 500XL at neck & bridge positions with a Seymour Duncan p90 in the middle.
One of the Teles I own is a CIJ Tele with Texas Specials at neck & bridge.
They do not provide that Jonny Lang sound that I want. I want to swap them out with the Lawrence and Duncans. Any advise on those pick ups, comments on Lang's sound, pros / cons etc., etc.,?

Thanks a lot

banditpanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Duncan Quarter Pounders might get you close. A better solution is a 72 Thinline, like he used after "Lie To Me" was recorded ( He said that album was all vintage strat and Tubescreamer). The wide range humbuckers would do a
better job for his blues tones. Personally, I find all Lawrence pups thin and bright ( those being the single coils I've heard or played).
JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

He now uses three L500s.
Derek Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info on the Lawrence single coils. Of course when we speak of JL we're speaking of Humbuckers not single coils.
You say he said the Lie to Me CD was recorded with a Strat !!!! That's his best imo and the sound I most want to get!!! A Strat !!! OMG. Do you have any links that can direct me to JL talking about the album, his eq and all that good stuff? I can't seem to find much. A Strat ? Gotta tell you it doesn't sound a bit like a Strat to my ears.His show in Paris in 97 was with the Thin Line and the Hummers. Man his sound then was wild and vibrant and I was sure that was the guitar he was using on Lie To Me CD.I'll check out the QP's . By the way any idea what he used the middle P90 pick up for ?
This is great. Got some more info ?

Thanks

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Jonny Lang

Thanks Derek.
Do you know what CD or live performance I can listen to hear that sound ?

Old May 11th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kiernan View Post
He now uses three L500s.
You really can never have too many L500's.

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpanda View Post
Thanks Derek.
Do you know what CD or live performance I can listen to hear that sound ?
I'm not sure, but he made the switch, at least in a couple guitars (and he seems to switch guitars up a lot) last year. Check out this: Buddy Guy and Jonny Lang impressed fans at LC Pavilion on Saturday night.

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK24 View Post
Duncan Quarter Pounders might get you close. A better solution is a 72 Thinline, like he used after "Lie To Me" was recorded ( He said that album was all vintage strat and Tubescreamer). The wide range humbuckers would do a
better job for his blues tones. Personally, I find all Lawrence pups thin and bright ( those being the single coils I've heard or played).
are you sure you aren't thinking of kenny wayne shepherd?...I have a few guitar magazines where he said it was a tele for lie to me...jonny lang was heavily influenced by albert collins...i think alot of that tone comes from plucking the strings ala collins...any good tele bridge pickup with a tubescreamer,good wah with a fender tube amp will get you in the ballpark imo...the phrasing and techiniques takes practice...hope this helps

June 26, 2005
srvbluezz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Jonny Lang

Thanks SRV. Yes indeed JL's phrasing is unique but yet attainable imo with some serious practiciing no doubt.
As I mentioned Texas specials in my Tele now. Would you mind giving me a recommendation on a great sounding Tele bridge pick up which could get me into that Jonny Lang sound territory.? Tube Screamer and Fender tube amps I have.
BP.

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Further to this thread I'm wondering if instead of going out and spending prolly a couple hundred bucks on new picks ups and mods to my Tele it may be better to get a Fender Black Top series Tele. I know they are supposed to be pretty hot but may very well get me to Lang's sound. What do you think?

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The dual blade L48TL, also made by Bill Lawrence, are like a single-sized version of the L90 which was the precursor (and Bill's preference) to the L500. Smooth attack quality and perfect clarity, and you can add a small capacitor to the tone pot to get upper mid coloration and balance the highend above it.

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Jonny Lang

Thanks again Derek. I'll do some research on those.
Need to clarify something as I am very confused about Bill Lawrence and Bill & Becky Lawrence and so I do not know really who is who and which is which!!
When you refer to the L48TL is this Bill & Becky or just Bill Lawrence ?

BP

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

It's Bill and Becky, who is Bill Lawrence the person, performer, designer, thinker, etc. Wilde is correct. Bill prefers the L45 to the L500 and is quick to say that the amp is what gives you volume or output, not the pickup. The L45 is "louder" than the L500 for high volume performance, which doesn't always make sense to people used to practicing with their amp volume on 1-3.

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Derek..I checked out a demo of the L48T & S and they really really sound good in the true Tele way but I'm getting the feeling that I need Humbuckers in my Tele to get the sound I'm looking for. Suggestions ?
BP

Old May 12th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Most of the L48/L45 demos I have experience with don't adjust the amp for the highs they bring. It's easily resolvable with either amp adjustments or using a small capacitor on the tone control (I can give values), but either the L500 or L90 are perfectly nice pickups as well. Bill has other single-sized poled pickups that can cover a variety of territory easily (my favorite are the microcoils), but I wouldn't recommend anything in particular, perhaps, in response to trying to get Jonny Lang's tone specifically. They're simply clear and versatile. The microcoils are true singles with extremely low noise and can get any number of tones from classic Fender to P90 with a few adjustments.

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hey Derek. Thanks a million. Did a lot of reading from this site on the Lawrence Microcoils and was convinced by the " neutrality " theory.
Just ordered a set for my Tele. They will be the foundation upon which I can create my sound.
BP

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Very nice! Check out the microcoil coloration guide and feel free to ask questions here or through PM/email if you need help setting it all up.

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I think those texas specials are good enough...as mentioned you should concentrate on how arggressively he attacks the strings...have you heard his 1st album kid jonny lang and the big bang...thats probably my favorite tone from him...pure raw tele

I saw him live about 10 years ago...he was opening for jeff beck!!!
I stood about 10 feet away from him...I just remember how aggresively he attacked that tele.

June 26, 2005
srvbluezz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The Jonny Lang Sound

Bandit: I'm not sure if you are looking for the sound of the older Jonny Lang cd's such as "Lie To Me" and "Wander This World" but what you might not be acknowledging is those records had people like Steve Cropper and Jack Holder playing guitar along with Jonny. I saw Jonny Lang a number of times when he was still a young kid and i was naive enough to think if I bought a Telecaster guitar, I could learn to play like Jonny Lang.

Those days Jonny shared the stage with another young guitar player in his band who played a Stratocaster and between the two of them they were able to duplicate the songs on the cd's.

One way to look at it is by watching Brad Paisley live. The camera's are always on Brad, and rightfully so, but when he is on stage - there are four or more other guitar players with amplifide acoustics and Stratocasters playing at the same time that make up the Paisley performance. I don't think buying a Crook "Tele" is going to make it easy to sound like Brad Paisley and I don't think buying some new pickups will make your guitar sound like Jonny Lang but it might.

It certainly can't hurt, but alot of practice and maybe you can sound like BanditPanda and that might be a really good thing.

Lost_N_Austin

Old May 13th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hey LNA love your post man. Dead on.
It is the sound of his solo's ( I guess that is obvious ) that cause's me to want to express myself with that sound. It would be alright to mimic Jonny Lang but that is not my intention. That sound of expression just wrenches me and I'm thinking I could similarly express myself using that sound, hopefully emerging as Bandit Panda.
Yes I have noted that there are always more than one guitarist on stage although I could never figure out the heck they were all doing!
So as I have mentioned I'm starting anew with the Lawrence Micro Coils and we'll take it from there, onward and upward.
I appreciate your words of wisdom. Thank you.

BP.