antiquity bridge replacement - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

antiquity bridge replacement

Hi to all teleholics,

I am looking for an advice. I would like to replace the bridge pickup of my Navigator:

The stock pickups are SD Antiquities. I really like the neck PU, but the bridge is way too thin and bright for me. It's like if the PU itself was adding some twang. At the end it's quite caricatural...

I would like something more fat but not high output. I have a 50 black rope in my telemaster, but it would have a too strong output.

Any sugestion is welcomed

micky! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Could lowering the bridge pickup perhaps help? might as well toy with it until someone can offer a better suggestion
eat myshorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've had the 50s flatpole antiquity - that pickup can indeed be bright.

You can spend alot of money and not do much better than the Duncan Jerry Donahue - especially if your description is fat but not high output. Another plus is that it will be in-phase with the neck Antiquity.
tjalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 12th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalla View Post

You can spend alot of money and not do much better than the Duncan Jerry Donahue - especially if your description is fat but not high output. Another plus is that it will be in-phase with the neck Antiquity.
2nd the Donohue.
SPUDCASTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

@ eat myshorts: I already lowered the PU, it helps but it's not enough to my hear.

@ Tjalla & SPUDCASTER: OK I will have a look to Donahue PU, but I am not a huge fan of SD PUs. Moreover they are quite expensive in Europe (89 at my local dealer)

I will have holiday i few week in NYC, is there a shop where I can find a lot of PUs?

I am also wondering if it was not a good opportunity for buying a handwound US set without shipping cost...

Last edited by micky!; May 12th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Old May 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:

Thanks for posting this! You just answered a question I had, as I just installed a Fender Custom Shop Bridge pickup(got used on the bay) (staggered pole) and it was sounding out of phase with the existing Duncan Antiquity Neck and driving me nuts thinking I'd wired it up wrong...It sounded like a cocked-wah when in the middle position.. The bad news is I like the new brigde Pup and also the neck SD. So I'm out of luck for the Mid position. I did'nt know anything about the phase issue I'd be getting with the pickup install.
I don't understand why it is NOT in phase with the Duncan..
In Tune is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Yea, Fender and SD have always done that reverse scheme. Really gets bad
when you do a strat and have 3diff mfg..

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
How do you resolve the issue? Can you just switch the Black and White leads/Connections?

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
It is no problem with a strat because you can just flip the wires...
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Tune View Post
How do you resolve the issue? Can you just switch the Black and White leads/Connections?
In theory, you can just switch the leads but tele pickups ground the bottom plate on the bridge pickup and the cover on the neck pickup, so you need to remove the jumper that grounds one of these and flip it to the white wire or run a separate ground wire. Like I said, on a strat there is no issue as the pickups do not have a bottom plate or metal cover.

George

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
In theory, you can just switch the leads but tele pickups ground the bottom plate on the bridge pickup and the cover on the neck pickup, so you need to remove the jumper that grounds one of these and flip it to the white wire or run a separate ground wire. Like I said, on a strat there is no issue as the pickups do not have a bottom plate or metal cover.

George
Well put! That's exactly the problem. It's easier just to buy another pickup that matches polarity.
Dr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill View Post
Well put! That's exactly the problem. It's easier just to buy another pickup that matches polarity.
No, it takes a wire clipper and a separate piece of wire to ground the cover, which is easier for many people than spending the money to replace a pickup that they otherwise like. I could change the ground in less time than it would take me to drive to a store and buy another pickup....

It is easier to INITIALLY buy a pickup that you know will match in polarity.

For what it's worth, I have found Duncan, Rio Grande, and Dimarzio all match in polarity. Fenders are opposite.

George

Old May 16th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
No, it takes a wire clipper and a separate piece of wire to ground the cover, which is easier for many people than spending the money to replace a pickup that they otherwise like. I could change the ground in less time than it would take me to drive to a store and buy another pickup....

It is easier to INITIALLY buy a pickup that you know will match in polarity.

For what it's worth, I have found Duncan, Rio Grande, and Dimarzio all match in polarity. Fenders are opposite.

George
Thanks for this info all! I need a bit of help though, can you tell me exactly where I need to run this new ground? Yes, I'm new to pickup installing, but have plenty of wire and solder!

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Thanks for this info all! I need a bit of help though, can you tell me exactly where I need to run this new ground? Yes, I'm new to pickup installing, but have plenty of wire and solder!
As with pickups like the Texas Special neck pickup which comes with 3 wires (2 coil wires and a separate wire for the cover ground), you need to clip or unsolder the little jumper that connects the cover or base plate (if the bridge pickup) to the black coil wire. Then you can solder a separate ground wire to either the cover or the base plate, and ground that to the back of one of the pots. Or redo the jumper wire from the cover or plate to join the white wire--but soldering onto the spot where the tiny coil wires join the leads, you can mess up a connection. (And on that pickup, you would solder the black wire to the pickup switch and the white wire to the pot ground.)

The separate ground wire on the neck pickup would be my preference--and note that it is also essential to have a separate ground wire on the neck pickup if you want to use a 4-way switch. (The Tx Spls are natively designed for the 4 way switch.) Alternatively, a neck pickup without a cover (either a removed cover, something like a Rio Grande Tallboy/Muy Grande, or a strat pickup in the neck) would let you simply reverse the black and white wires at the switch and pot ground and you'd be good right there.

George

Last edited by YoGeorge; May 16th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Old May 16th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No lie - in the time it took me to read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill View Post
It's easier just to buy another pickup that matches polarity.
to come back to this thread and read this:

Quote:
...I had added a ground wire and flipped the leads on my Klein Fatman, so it's now in-phase with the neck Antiquity mini. 500k pots. The combo is most excellent.
tjalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
No lie - in the time it took me to read this:

to come back to this thread and read this:

...I had added a ground wire and flipped the leads on my Klein Fatman, so it's now in-phase with the neck Antiquity mini. 500k pots. The combo is most excellent.
You can do that too!

Old May 18th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

NOW FIXED!

Quote:
UPDATE>>>> Holy Toledo, I pulled this off! It works like a charm, the guitar sounds stellar! The combined sound is the best I've had on this guitar('63 tele), Thanks to all you Kind Sirs for the technical input.
Next up>> some new compensated Saddles. Im looking at the J.R. Kohler sets.
And Glendale of course.

Old May 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Instead of just replacing the bridge pickups, I am more and more thinking about replacing the set.

The guitar is quite balanced, it has just enough of treble and medium. Just a little extra bass would be welcome.

I would like a set balanced, that let woods sing. It would be for blues /rock sounds (let say clean sound to JCM800 overdrive). I am lot not looking for extra twang, and I am not a big fan of country music.

I was looking at Lollar Special T or Fralin stock , but I do not know if it could feets.

Old May 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky! View Post
Instead of just replacing the bridge pickups, I am more and more thinking about replacing the set.

The guitar is quite balanced, it has just enough of treble and medium. Just a little extra bass would be welcome.

I would like a set balanced, that let woods sing. It would be for blues /rock sounds (let say clean sound to JCM800 overdrive). I am lot not looking for extra twang, and I am not a big fan of country music.

I was looking at Lollar Special T or Fralin stock , but I do not know if it could feets.
I thought you said that the bridge pickup is "way too thin and bright." As I read your first post again I'm thinking that the SD Broadcaster might be just the ticket. Should play well with the Antiquity in the neck.

Old May 20th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yes I appreciate Broadcaster like PU, I already have my telemaster equipped with 1950 Black-Rope, which are Broadcaster PU.

My idea with the navigator is to have a less ballsy Tele. So I do not know how sounds the SD Broadcaster, but I do not want both of my tele sound the same.

Last edited by micky!; May 20th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.