Lil 59' all suggestions welcome - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Lil 59' all suggestions welcome

I play an american tele and I have always played tele's. Love the feel and the twang. I've been considering beefing up the sound a bit and putting a lil 59 pick up in the bridge position. However, when looking to buy on ebay, amazon, etc. there are a lot of different options and I'm just trying to be sure that I understand the difference between the options if there are any to be noticed. For instance there is ST-59, SL-59, SL-59 1B, SL-59 1, and so on. What are the significant differences, if any? Just trying not to make a goofy mistake, thanks for any help given.

-soggy

soggybottom12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I did that with a vintage tele.

It overpowers the neck pick-up substantially and you will be constantly screwing around with your volume control when switching between them.

Be prepared to change the neck p/u to stay in balance more or less --- unless you don't use it much or unless the above doesn't bother you.

It's a PITA onstage with a full band to be constantly playing with the volume control on every p/u change so I put a PAF @ the neck.
Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I couldn't tell you the difference, but here is my relic'd Esquire with a Lil '59.

Lots of bite and a little smooth too.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I believe the SL versions are for Strats, the ST for Teles. Beyond that, check Duncan's web site. Good site and a smart, helpful forum.

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The different model numbers refer to which guitar the pickup will fit directly into, for the Tele bridge pickup the model # is ST59-1b. I have a Lil 59 in the bridge position of my American Special, and it balances out in volume with the stock Texas Special neck pickup just fine, but some neck pickups have lower output than others so there is sometimes a minor issue there that would require you to lower the hotter pickup to balance them better.

One thing about these pickups is that they ARE humbuckers, so you lose some of the bite and twang that you get from standard single coils.
Frodebro is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoclue View Post
I couldn't tell you the difference, but here is my relic'd Esquire with a Lil '59.

Lots of bite and a little smooth too.
might be a dumb question but what does a pickup selector switch do on an esquire?
Froski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggybottom12 View Post
I play an american tele and I have always played tele's. Love the feel and the twang. I've been considering beefing up the sound a bit and putting a lil 59 pick up in the bridge position. However, when looking to buy on ebay, amazon, etc. there are a lot of different options and I'm just trying to be sure that I understand the difference between the options if there are any to be noticed. For instance there is ST-59, SL-59, SL-59 1B, SL-59 1, and so on. What are the significant differences, if any? Just trying not to make a goofy mistake, thanks for any help given.

-soggy
While the 59 is a nice sounding pickup, it doesn't have much twang. It really sounds like a humbucker, so it makes a nice rock/blues pickup.

You want the st 59 1B for the bridge posistion on a tele. They also make this pickup for strat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froski View Post
might be a dumb question but what does a pickup selector switch do on an esquire?
Changes the tone by going through different wiring circuits.

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The Lil 59 also sounds great in parallel. I switch this pickup between series and parallel when I'm jumping between clean/rhythm and dirt/lead tones. Also having the 12 adjustable polepieces is really nice for achieving a good string-to-string balance.
Cliff Schecht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew3 View Post

It overpowers the neck pick-up substantially and you will be constantly screwing around with your volume control when switching between them.

Be prepared to change the neck p/u to stay in balance more or less --- unless you don't use it much or unless the above doesn't bother you.

It's a PITA onstage with a full band to be constantly playing with the volume control on every p/u change so I put a PAF @ the neck.
Agree 100%
dannyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You might consider a set of microcoils from wildepickups unless you're set in a 59. They add beef and power while retaining teleness.
jamieorc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a strat neck Little 59 in my SX tele neck position with a Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge and I love the combo. The Broadcaster gives me all the twang I need (and more importantly don't want to give up) and the middle position adds the fullness of the 59 without killing the twang; and the neck position leaves that humbucker tone available if I need it. One thing I noticed on mine is that lowering the pickup and extending out the adjustable pole pieces seemed to make it sound more articulate (ie closer to a single coil without losing the fullness).
Blackhawk777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I had one in one of my Teles for a while. Took it out and sold it. Just didn't sound like a Telecaster to me. Otherwise it's a good humbucker PAF sounding bridge pickup if that's what you're looking for.

If you want beef, just raise your bridge pickup up to within 5/64ths from the strings and then roll back the tone control.
Minivan Megafun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

"might be a dumb question but what does a pickup selector switch do on an esquire?"

It's the "magic" switch.....three different sounds via tone pot, cap, volume wiring, etc.

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, and if you're looking for a beefier sound, have you considered the 4-way switch mod? It's a lot cheaper than a new pickup.
Minivan Megafun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I had one in the bridge position of a MIJ Strat. It was okay and could be interesting with pedals, but after a while I hardly ever used it. I like a humbucker in a Tele, but in the neck position--that's why I bought a CS '72 Custom. If it was me, I'd put a Lil '59 in the neck position and put a good Lollar or Custom Shop Tele pickup in the bridge. To me a Tele pickup in the bridge position is what makes a Tele a Tele. Without that it's just another guitar.
Lobotomy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew3 View Post

Yup. Just did my head in - took it out.
DrBanana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2921758051.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	171274

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3831592189.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	171275

Both these guitars have 2 Little 59's in them. The Tele has a pickguard that will fit a Strat pup. The Strat obviously has 2 Strat pups. I also have an Esquire with a Little 59 in it. They have plenty of beef, but they still twang as much as I'll ever want. Great pups. If you want a pair get a Warmoth pickguard. The Tele bridge pup is much stronger than the Strat bridge pup, so if you go that route, get a Strat bridge pup for the Tele neck and use 500k pots. It'll be all the guitar you'll ever need for any style of music.
Teleboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Megafun View Post
Oh yeah, and if you're looking for a beefier sound, have you considered the 4-way switch mod? It's a lot cheaper than a new pickup.
Thanks for all the help and words everyone. Can you explain a bit what the 4-way switch mod does?
soggybottom12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggybottom12 View Post
Thanks for all the help and words everyone. Can you explain a bit what the 4-way switch mod does?
Series, G-B-N-Hot is added, if its wired normally like Fender does.. G-N-B-Hot series is great too, so I suggest a 5 way if it fits. N grounded gives better bass and treble. B grounded emphases mids in comparision.
Teleterr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleterr View Post
Series, G-B-N-Hot is added, if its wired normally like Fender does.. G-N-B-Hot series is great too, so I suggest a 5 way if it fits. N grounded gives better bass and treble. B grounded emphases mids in comparision.
What?
DrBanana is offline   Reply With Quote