Tex-Mex Tele pickups...are they worthy? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.
   

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.


Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com


Forum Jump


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Tex-Mex Tele pickups...are they worthy?

Own a Nashville Tele with Tex Mex pickups. I like the tone overall, but this is the only Tele I've ever owned, have nothing to compare them to. Are these pickups worthy and capable of delivering classic Tele tones?

tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
dsutton24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,353
I love 'em.
__________________
Yet another hobby that is completely out of control...
dsutton24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsutton24 View Post
I love 'em.
In your opinion, should they be modded with a baseplate, for example, or left stock?
tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
IRG2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 48
I just got a Road Worn Player Tele that has a Tex Mex in the bridge, and a SD '59 humbucker in the neck. I thought initially I was going to pull out the TexMex, but I'm starting to like it. It actually mixes pretty well with the humbucker. On it's own, I wouldn't mind a bit more output with it, maybe a bit more bottom end if that's possible. Overall though I think it's pretty good, and seems pretty indicative of that Tele sound, but I'm no expert. I use Teles for stuff that's less than traditional, more hard rock, ambient, doom, but blues too. No country or pop.
IRG2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
waparker4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRG2 View Post
On it's own, I wouldn't mind a bit more output with it, maybe a bit more bottom end if that's possible. Overall though I think it's pretty good, and seems pretty indicative of that Tele sound
That's the description of adding a base plate, check out the article on this website about it.
waparker4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
That's the description of adding a base plate, check out the article on this website about it.
If I were to boost the low and cut some upper-mid frequencies with an EQ pedal would that give the same effect as having a baseplate?
tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
IRG2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
That's the description of adding a base plate, check out the article on this website about it.

Would you happen to have the link handy? Did a quick search, not sure what I'm looking for exactly.
IRG2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRG2 View Post
Would you happen to have the link handy? Did a quick search, not sure what I'm looking for exactly.
I'm not sure if this is the link he's referring to, but this is what I found a while back.

http://www.tdpri.com/resources/tele-...ate-materials/
tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
waparker4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,885
http://www.tdpri.com/resources/tele-...ate-materials/
waparker4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Telefied
 
boris bubbanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA + in the
Posts: 36,518
I would put affixing a Mojotone base plate at twice the level of difficulty, of clearing the body holes to the neck pocket.

I like the sound with the base plate. Adds bottom, played clean. Could have downsides if played very high gain; that's the only negative other than the task of buying and adding the plate.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
I would put affixing a Mojotone base plate at twice the level of difficulty, of clearing the body holes to the neck pocket.

I like the sound with the base plate. Adds bottom, played clean. Could have downsides if played very high gain; that's the only negative other than the task of buying and adding the plate.
Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm very paranoid and not very confident when it comes to performing work on my guitars, which is why I ask these questions lol. I'd love it if someone would say that I could achieve the same effect with an EQ pedal but that's just wishful thinking I suppose.

Maybe someday I'll try the baseplate mod and drilling out the body holes after I practice on a friend's guitar first.
tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
waparker4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,885
Well for starters if the bass and volume of your amp aren't already at max, bumping them up a bit couldnt hurt.

An EQ pedal could help you dial in exactly that tone too.


Edit well for starters put the bass side of the bridge pickup higher
waparker4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
Well for starters if the bass and volume of your amp aren't already at max, bumping them up a bit couldnt hurt.

An EQ pedal could help you dial in exactly that tone too.


Edit well for starters put the bass side of the bridge pickup higher
Maybe I'll try raising the bass side as well as a few EQ tweaks. I hesitate to adjust the pickups height because now it's got a really good quack sound in the neck/bridge position, but I can play around with it I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.
tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
bo
Friend of Leo's
 
bo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,338
I don't know what's in the middle of your Nashville, but in a regular Tele I found the Tex Mex bridge pickup a little too raspy and strident. I loved the neck pickup.
bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Age: 62
Posts: 650
I've got a Road Worn tele with Tex Mex pickups and despite have a number (oh, five or six) teles, some of which have had 5 sets of pickups in them, am completely happy with the Tex Mex pickups in all three switch positions. They stay, and that's saying a lot for me. I've gotten numerous tone compliments playing the guitar out.

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
I've got a Road Worn tele with Tex Mex pickups and despite have a number (oh, five or six) teles, some of which have had 5 sets of pickups in them, am completely happy with the Tex Mex pickups in all three switch positions. They stay, and that's saying a lot for me. I've gotten numerous tone compliments playing the guitar out.

George
Yo, George!

Does your Road Worn have a baseplate on the bridge pup?
tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Age: 62
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele_paul View Post
Yo, George!

Does your Road Worn have a baseplate on the bridge pup?
You know, I've never take it apart to look. I assumed that it did, but on a quick image search on Yahoo, realize it may not. I don't think that a baseplate makes for a major change in what I hear.

For instance, I have a Duncan Hot Tele and a Rio Muy Grande in two of my teles, no baseplates, and they are staying... I also have teles with a Duncan B'caster, a Fender '62 RI (assume that's what is in my Muddy Waters tele--left stock--never looked), and a Fender Nocaster pair (which I recently installed in one guitar and which do have a plate).

Although I have a lot of teles in which I have played the "changing pickup game", I have kind of lost interest in this, and if a guitar sounds great, I tend to leave it as is and work on my playing.

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
You know, I've never take it apart to look. I assumed that it did, but on a quick image search on Yahoo, realize it may not. I don't think that a baseplate makes for a major change in what I hear.

For instance, I have a Duncan Hot Tele and a Rio Muy Grande in two of my teles, no baseplates, and they are staying... I also have teles with a Duncan B'caster, a Fender '62 RI (assume that's what is in my Muddy Waters tele--left stock--never looked), and a Fender Nocaster pair (which I recently installed in one guitar and which do have a plate).

Although I have a lot of teles in which I have played the "changing pickup game", I have kind of lost interest in this, and if a guitar sounds great, I tend to leave it as is and work on my playing.

George
Good point there about focusing on playing. I often fuss about the details of my gear and contemplate stuff like baseplates, probably way too much. I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I do that much more often than I actually practice guitar lol. Thanks for the feedback!
tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
JohnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Age: 65
Posts: 1,896
In my world I need to futz with my equipment AND futz with my playing. Just saying.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Age: 62
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele_paul View Post
Good point there about focusing on playing. I often fuss about the details of my gear and contemplate stuff like baseplates, probably way too much. I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I do that much more often than I actually practice guitar lol. Thanks for the feedback!
No problem, I was on the TDP from about 1997 to 2003 very regularly for hundreds of hours, and worried and thought a LOT about hardware. Since it turned into the RI page, it's gotten a bit larger, and I got tired of the same old questions about alder vs ash, maple vs rosewood, etc. If it feels and sounds good, it is good.

A great player on a cheapo Squier trumps a hack on the best Custom Shop guitar out there--I have seen it, and do my best to be the player and not the gearhead. The fact that I am posting on this page at all shows that I'm not totally successful :)

Good luck,
George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


» Random Photo for Guests
Fender 97 MIJ Stratocaster LE Jerry Donahue Signature
Untitled Document



 


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
© TDPRI.COM 1999 - 2014 All rights reserved.