Tex-Mex Tele pickups...are they worthy? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Tex-Mex Tele pickups...are they worthy?

Own a Nashville Tele with Tex Mex pickups. I like the tone overall, but this is the only Tele I've ever owned, have nothing to compare them to. Are these pickups worthy and capable of delivering classic Tele tones?

tele_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I love 'em.

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsutton24 View Post
I love 'em.
In your opinion, should they be modded with a baseplate, for example, or left stock?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I just got a Road Worn Player Tele that has a Tex Mex in the bridge, and a SD '59 humbucker in the neck. I thought initially I was going to pull out the TexMex, but I'm starting to like it. It actually mixes pretty well with the humbucker. On it's own, I wouldn't mind a bit more output with it, maybe a bit more bottom end if that's possible. Overall though I think it's pretty good, and seems pretty indicative of that Tele sound, but I'm no expert. I use Teles for stuff that's less than traditional, more hard rock, ambient, doom, but blues too. No country or pop.
IRG2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRG2 View Post
On it's own, I wouldn't mind a bit more output with it, maybe a bit more bottom end if that's possible. Overall though I think it's pretty good, and seems pretty indicative of that Tele sound
That's the description of adding a base plate, check out the article on this website about it.
waparker4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
That's the description of adding a base plate, check out the article on this website about it.
If I were to boost the low and cut some upper-mid frequencies with an EQ pedal would that give the same effect as having a baseplate?

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:

Would you happen to have the link handy? Did a quick search, not sure what I'm looking for exactly.
IRG2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRG2 View Post
Would you happen to have the link handy? Did a quick search, not sure what I'm looking for exactly.
I'm not sure if this is the link he's referring to, but this is what I found a while back.

http://www.tdpri.com/resources/tele-...ate-materials/

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

http://www.tdpri.com/resources/tele-...ate-materials/

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Telefied

I would put affixing a Mojotone base plate at twice the level of difficulty, of clearing the body holes to the neck pocket.

I like the sound with the base plate. Adds bottom, played clean. Could have downsides if played very high gain; that's the only negative other than the task of buying and adding the plate.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
I would put affixing a Mojotone base plate at twice the level of difficulty, of clearing the body holes to the neck pocket.

I like the sound with the base plate. Adds bottom, played clean. Could have downsides if played very high gain; that's the only negative other than the task of buying and adding the plate.
Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm very paranoid and not very confident when it comes to performing work on my guitars, which is why I ask these questions lol. I'd love it if someone would say that I could achieve the same effect with an EQ pedal but that's just wishful thinking I suppose.

Maybe someday I'll try the baseplate mod and drilling out the body holes after I practice on a friend's guitar first.

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Well for starters if the bass and volume of your amp aren't already at max, bumping them up a bit couldnt hurt.

An EQ pedal could help you dial in exactly that tone too.

Edit well for starters put the bass side of the bridge pickup higher

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Well for starters if the bass and volume of your amp aren't already at max, bumping them up a bit couldnt hurt.

An EQ pedal could help you dial in exactly that tone too.

Edit well for starters put the bass side of the bridge pickup higher
Maybe I'll try raising the bass side as well as a few EQ tweaks. I hesitate to adjust the pickups height because now it's got a really good quack sound in the neck/bridge position, but I can play around with it I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
bo
Friend of Leo's

I don't know what's in the middle of your Nashville, but in a regular Tele I found the Tex Mex bridge pickup a little too raspy and strident. I loved the neck pickup.
bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've got a Road Worn tele with Tex Mex pickups and despite have a number (oh, five or six) teles, some of which have had 5 sets of pickups in them, am completely happy with the Tex Mex pickups in all three switch positions. They stay, and that's saying a lot for me. I've gotten numerous tone compliments playing the guitar out.

George
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
I've got a Road Worn tele with Tex Mex pickups and despite have a number (oh, five or six) teles, some of which have had 5 sets of pickups in them, am completely happy with the Tex Mex pickups in all three switch positions. They stay, and that's saying a lot for me. I've gotten numerous tone compliments playing the guitar out.

George
Yo, George!

Does your Road Worn have a baseplate on the bridge pup?

Old March 13th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele_paul View Post
Yo, George!

Does your Road Worn have a baseplate on the bridge pup?
You know, I've never take it apart to look. I assumed that it did, but on a quick image search on Yahoo, realize it may not. I don't think that a baseplate makes for a major change in what I hear.

For instance, I have a Duncan Hot Tele and a Rio Muy Grande in two of my teles, no baseplates, and they are staying... I also have teles with a Duncan B'caster, a Fender '62 RI (assume that's what is in my Muddy Waters tele--left stock--never looked), and a Fender Nocaster pair (which I recently installed in one guitar and which do have a plate).

Although I have a lot of teles in which I have played the "changing pickup game", I have kind of lost interest in this, and if a guitar sounds great, I tend to leave it as is and work on my playing.

George

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
You know, I've never take it apart to look. I assumed that it did, but on a quick image search on Yahoo, realize it may not. I don't think that a baseplate makes for a major change in what I hear.

For instance, I have a Duncan Hot Tele and a Rio Muy Grande in two of my teles, no baseplates, and they are staying... I also have teles with a Duncan B'caster, a Fender '62 RI (assume that's what is in my Muddy Waters tele--left stock--never looked), and a Fender Nocaster pair (which I recently installed in one guitar and which do have a plate).

Although I have a lot of teles in which I have played the "changing pickup game", I have kind of lost interest in this, and if a guitar sounds great, I tend to leave it as is and work on my playing.

George
Good point there about focusing on playing. I often fuss about the details of my gear and contemplate stuff like baseplates, probably way too much. I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I do that much more often than I actually practice guitar lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

In my world I need to futz with my equipment AND futz with my playing. Just saying.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele_paul View Post
Good point there about focusing on playing. I often fuss about the details of my gear and contemplate stuff like baseplates, probably way too much. I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I do that much more often than I actually practice guitar lol. Thanks for the feedback!
No problem, I was on the TDP from about 1997 to 2003 very regularly for hundreds of hours, and worried and thought a LOT about hardware. Since it turned into the RI page, it's gotten a bit larger, and I got tired of the same old questions about alder vs ash, maple vs rosewood, etc. If it feels and sounds good, it is good.

A great player on a cheapo Squier trumps a hack on the best Custom Shop guitar out there--I have seen it, and do my best to be the player and not the gearhead. The fact that I am posting on this page at all shows that I'm not totally successful :)

Good luck,
George