Don Mare updated "Nancy" (New 2324) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don Mare updated "Nancy" (New 2324)

Does anyone out there have one of these? I'm seriously considering buying one, but I'm worried about feedback (from the amp, I mean). Some years back, I got an unpotted pickup from another winder, and I couldn't gig with it because of the squealing feedback at any volume.

In Don's demonstration video the click of the pickup selector is audible -- which I totally dig -- but I'd like some reassurance that the pickup won't feedback at normal stage volume (I don't play high-gain stuff).

I emailed Don at his site last week but haven't gotten a reply, so I thought I check in here.

--Hank Williams
TeleHawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Don may have been busy with NAM but I wouldn't worry about it. He winds a great pickup and stands behind the product completely.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hi, never saw the email, sorry
the new 2324 Nancy Clone, has the coil sealed but not waxed, the base plate is waxed on though _ so its also sealed from squealing. On each clone I make sure their always lit up on a Dimed Vibrolux.
Testing them by just hanging the pickup ( no load / Direct to cable) in front of the amps speaker. I do this each one before it ships.
They all do squeal _ but only if you face the bridge pickup about 1 to 2 feet from speaker but once its out of that close range theres no squeal.

What always concerns me though, is The New Nancy Clones (Bridge) just like Roy's Real 53" Nancy Telecaster, The versatility is NOT as across the board as a regular Tele Bridges are, basically whats going on is the bass is almost void, again Like Roy's is. so trying to "gig" full time with it after being on a regular Tele is going to be a problem. whats best is if players put these pickups in a spare 2nd. Tele for some songs that it fits well. or if you were pretty much doing Roy Buchanan's set list and style full time then its a perfect fit. ( worked for Roy) ;-)

Last edited by Don Mare; February 11th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Don Mare is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 11th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

@Don

Hi - I am intrigued by low DC Tele bridge pups - they seem to be rare beasts - are your 2324 Nancy's AWG 43 42 or other ?

The info on your website indicates a low DC on the tapped versions, which of course by itself doesn't mean much!

I have a local winder putting together an AlNICo 2 AWG 43 6500 turns, and am seeing if there is anything else out there like this already :)

This one will be "chaos wound", tapped at 6500, and then wound more up to 10k or so.

I found a neat wind calculator on 'tinternet (assuming it is accurate enough for my purposes):

if the 2324 is sorta like the 3 Speed Stingray, is AWG 42 and "tapped" at 5k then that is roughly 6500 turns...

...which is like my request to my winder, although in my case I want to use AWG 43 just to see what it is like....

to be honest I have seen so many threads about variations in sound for wire\winds\magnets etc - I really have no idea what to expect, it should be interesting!
mcentee2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcentee2 View Post
@Don

Hi - I am intrigued by low DC Tele bridge pups - they seem to be rare beasts - are your 2324 Nancy's AWG 43 42 or other ?

The info on your website indicates a low DC on the tapped versions, which of course by itself doesn't mean much!

I have a local winder putting together an AlNICo 2 AWG 43 6500 turns, and am seeing if there is anything else out there like this already :)

This one will be "chaos wound", tapped at 6500, and then wound more up to 10k or so.

I found a neat wind calculator on 'tinternet (assuming it is accurate enough for my purposes):

if the 2324 is sorta like the 3 Speed Stingray, is AWG 42 and "tapped" at 5k then that is roughly 6500 turns...

...which is like my request to my winder, although in my case I want to use AWG 43 just to see what it is like....

to be honest I have seen so many threads about variations in sound for wire\winds\magnets etc - I really have no idea what to expect, it should be interesting!
Hi, Mcentee2, Ive seen some of theses same questions your asking me here, on a few threads here lately - LOL,

I hope your pickup comes out really great, I'm sure it will .. you should _go for it_
I got a few customers with 5.4k Bridges that I know of, wire 42 they sound great!, a few have wire 43 at 6k, that's pure Heaven - but weak on volume.

My Nancy is just a basic 53' era clone, but originally broke internally ( IE, Roy's Nancy) and so His, nor mine will not render a Ohm Reading, yet still is loud , just its booted out the bass, the amount of wire on it puts it at about 8850 turns wire 42, the Capasidance is how we read them, .003 is target.
Cheers DM

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks - I realised your Nancy pup was like the original with an "odd bit" - but was also reading the vales from the 3 Way pup you had listed as similar.

Volume isn't a problem as I'm a home player, not a gigger!
mcentee2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi Don, I've every intention of putting together a Roy tribute tele within the next couple of years and will naturally be compelled to use your pups, however, I'm not going to be in a Roy cover band or anything like that and am not overly concerned with 100% accuracy in my build - which brings me to my question: Your Nancy set with modern wiring, a bad idea? Why or why not? I know on your site you mention that it's optional, but do you personally think it yields a good middle position tone? I just wouldn't need the neck/neck wiring that Roy used, but if your Nancy set sounds "best" that way...
hongaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongaku View Post
Hi Don, I've every intention of putting together a Roy tribute tele within the next couple of years and will naturally be compelled to use your pups, however, I'm not going to be in a Roy cover band or anything like that and am not overly concerned with 100% accuracy in my build - which brings me to my question: Your Nancy set with modern wiring, a bad idea? Why or why not?
Hello, Hongaku
I use it with Modern wire, and sent them out with that drawing too.
If you want you can Use the Donocasters _Close To Nancy (same neck) yet you'll have a more Versatility tele, maybe__also add a Push Pull Pot?,, with a .1uf in-series cap on one side and the .003 Bridge in-series Cap ( Nancy mod) on the other side of switch and when you in-gauge them you'll have a pretty close Nancy at hand, and disengage to get a Basic low wind blackguard 53'

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mare View Post
Hello, Hongaku
I use it with Modern wire, and sent them out with that drawing too.
If you want you can Use the Donocasters _Close To Nancy (same neck) yet you'll have a more Versatility tele, maybe__also add a Push Pull Pot?,, with a .1uf in-series cap on one side and the .003 Bridge in-series Cap ( Nancy mod) on the other side of switch and when you in-gauge them you'll have a pretty close Nancy at hand, and disengage to get a Basic low wind blackguard 53'
True, definitely something to think about. Thanks for the reply. I'll probably end up going with your actual Nancy set and just use modern wiring - I have enough teles that having the unique sound that your Nancy bridge pup produces in a dedicated tele is my preference (I can always change to another guitar as necessary). I always loved the sound of Roy's bridge pup in Nancy and it for me defines his sound in so many ways. I hope to do business with you in the (hopefully not too far) future
hongaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Not sure how my 2324 with Nancy circuit compares to the newer ones ... the nancy circuit is activated by push/pull tone knob. Pulled up, standard tele 3 way. Pushed in, things change.

I always use it pulled up, in the standard tele configuration. These remain the tastiest tele pickups I've heard, very responsive to tone knob roll off. Warm, clear sound, no icepick. I mostly do roll of the bridge p/us some. My tele itself is on the bright side, being a chambered ash body with a spruce top. So there's a subtle acoustic edge to the sound at all volumes. So perfectly matches up with Don's pickups.

MD
mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I wonder how the new 2324 pickup would sound in the neck position
Antoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoon View Post
I wonder how the new 2324 pickup would sound in the neck position
maybe like an acoustic??.. theres hardly any bass, which is a good thing while mic-ing acoustics