which quieter? 'bucker vs. Strat in Pos 2 or 4 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

which quieter? 'bucker vs. Strat in Pos 2 or 4

Hi,

just wondering - which would you expect / know to be less 'noisy' - when playing with some dirt dialed in?

A Humbucker (be it either bridge or neck, and assuming a well made Humbucker here).

or:

A regular SSS Strat when set in pos 2 or 4.

Or 'the same'?

My findings here are that the Strat in 2 or 4 is slightly less noisy than the 'bucker when there is fair dollop of gain?

Is that anybody else's experience?

telepath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Depends. In my recent experience, the closer the coils are together, the better the noise reduction. My stacked humbuckers (Wilde L280s) are significantly quieter than any of my side-by-side humbuckers. I don't have any true-single guitars at this time.

Most of my noise issue comes from a ridiculous ambient EMI environment at my house, the source or cause of which I have yet to determine. At most other locations, all my guitars are silent.
Tele-phone man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-phone man View Post
Depends. In my recent experience, the closer the coils are together, the better the noise reduction. My stacked humbuckers (Wilde L280s) are significantly quieter than any of my side-by-side humbuckers.
That's through higher design and production standards, not something necessarily inherent to stacks. The L90 is just as quiet :)
Derek Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 29th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kiernan View Post
That's through higher design and production standards, not something necessarily inherent to stacks. The L90 is just as quiet :)
Not at my house. My L90 equipped Hamer hums maddeningly. I can make it louder or quieter by turning the guitar, just like a single-coil guitar. The control cavity is shielded, there are NO ground loops, all grounds come together at the back of the same control, the pickup leads are twisted as tightly as I could manage. I've tried everything. I even added aluminum tape shielding in the pickup cavities (per Bill's posted suggestion to reduce dimmer induced hum/buzz). The same noise occurs in my Washburn, which I currently have loaded with a pair of SD '59s. In direct contrast, all of my L280 loaded guitars sound SIGNIFICANTLY quieter.

Oh, and a true single-coil guitar? Completely unplayable in my house. The noise is so loud, even at low volume and totally clean, that the experience is completely joyless.

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kiernan View Post
Anyone know the formula for noise in a pickup ? I know surface area is a factor and a stack has less than side by side. How about induction ?
Teleterr is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sorry, thanks for the replies, but apart from Tele-Phone-mans initial sentence, its gone a little off track right off the bat.

Can I re-ask my original question please!

i.e. just wondering - which would you expect / know to be less 'noisy' - when playing with some dirt dialed in?

A Humbucker (be it either bridge or neck, and assuming a well made Humbucker here).

or:

A regular SSS Strat when set in pos 2 or 4.

Or 'the same'?

My findings here are that the Strat in 2 or 4 is slightly less noisy than the 'bucker when there is fair dollop of gain?

Is that anybody else's actual experience?

Thanks!
telepath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Not mine. However, there's noisy, there's dead quiet, and there's quiet enough. Are your guitars quiet enough for you? That's the bottom line.

I find positions 2 and 4 when using a RWRP middle pickup to be quiet enough, but not as quiet as a standard humbucker, or a stacked humbucker.

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

gonna say both are close
thumbpick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-phone man View Post
Not mine. However, there's noisy, there's dead quiet, and there's quiet enough. Are your guitars quiet enough for you? That's the bottom line.

I find positions 2 and 4 when using a RWRP middle pickup to be quiet enough, but not as quiet as a standard humbucker, or a stacked humbucker.
yup
JKjr is offline   Reply With Quote