The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

AVRI '64 Telecaster Pickups - Available through a tech?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and should have my first Telecaster, and American Special, in about a month.

Today, I took a trip to the shop I'll be buying from, hoping to be able to check out an American Special. They didn't have one, so I figured I'd spend some time on other Tele's to get a feel for what I like, what I don't like, etc. I happened upon the new AVRI '64 Tele, and I fell in head over heels in love with those pickups. The rest of the Teles on the wall didn't come close, in my opinion, to the character of tone coming from that guitar. Two things kept me from buying it and calling it a day: the price and the neck. I had a MIM 60's Strat for a few years and found that I just don't like vintage frets and fingerboard radii. Or Strats.

This brings me to my question. Fender does not offer the pickups for sale to the general public as of yet. I was wondering if any of you fine people knew if they would be available as parts to a Fender authorized tech.

If not, can anyone familiar with these pickups suggest an alternative. The Fender pickups would probably be cheaper than boutique, but I'm not at all opposed to going that route. There's nothing saying that I won't dig the Texas Specials that come in the guitar, but the '64 that I played today embodied that amazing Tele tone I'm looking for. The Klein 61's and the Creamery 64's seem to be up this alley, but again, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

bmurphyhd28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Telefied

You can get the 64's for $80 each from The Stratosphere on ebay.

Old January 27th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

It looks like he doesn't have any for sale right now unless I missed something, but I totally forgot about the sellers that strip guitars and sell them for parts, so thank you! I'll keep an eye out.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I was wondering this same question, but for the new 52'. Why dosen't Fender offer these guys?
dogfootblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

From a business standpoint, I'd think that they'd want you to buy the guitar and not the pickups. What better way to motivate sales for a particular line than to offer something that no other guitar from that manufacturer has and is not available aftermarket? Fender stakes most of their reputation largely on two models (Strat and Tele). They have to diversify the lines to keep interest up.

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

What's more is that these pickups are so good, in my opinion, I really wouldn't be motivated to change them upon buying the guitar. That's not something I think I've ever said. Typically I'm a buy it and gut it guy.

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I would think it'd be a matter of time before those are available on an aftermarket basis and ebay venders like Angela and joshmr are selling them. I got my twisted tele neck pickup from joshmr on ebay for $44 brand new.
vintage clubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphyhd28 View Post
What's more is that these pickups are so good, in my opinion, I really wouldn't be motivated to change them upon buying the guitar. That's not something I think I've ever said. Typically I'm a buy it and gut it guy.

The bridge pup out of the MIM Classic 60s Series Tele, and the Pro Series'63 bridge pup from GFS, Will give you the sound of that 64 Tele.

Height staggered poles, That are a low 6k output, is what gives those Teles, that great classic sound.

The classic 60s Series bridge pup, can be found at the stratosphere on eBay just about any day.

I have both of these pickups and have played the 64 Tele, and they are all very identical in sound. Good luck.

Fender Classic 60s Series bridge pup
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130128_080400.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	163704

GFS Pro Series 63 bridge pup
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130128_080418.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	163705

Last edited by musicmatty; January 28th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I am thinking that these pickups can't be that much different from the AV '62 Custom reissue pickups, which are available for $53 with a full '62 bridge on EBay...(?) The neck pickups also seem to be around for $50 each. I have a staggered US pickup as OEM in my Muddy Waters tele--it measures a bit under 7k ohms as I recall and it is a GREAT pickup.

I'm old enough to remember these guitars when they were relatively new and I don't think there were any major changes in the formula thru the early 60's until CBS fully took over Fender, which would have been '66ish or so. Edit--checked the Duchossoir book and Fender pickups were pretty similar from mid 50's (when they got the raised center poles) thru the later mid 60's...

Good luck,
George

Last edited by YoGeorge; January 28th, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
YoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

To George's point how different are the '64 pickups from the '62s?

I have a set of '62 AVRI pickups and was evaluating whether to change the bridge to the GFS pro series 60s, GFS '62 or the Fender Pure Vintage '64.

A full set of the 64 pickups can be had from Amazon for slightly more than $100. I've them in my shopping cart and have not quite yet figured out whether to click... :)
bluesky6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you go to Darren Rielys site he has the 64's dor 39.99 a piece. Same with the 52's 58's.

Old March 7th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here is a link to the 64s. http://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-b...kups-set-of-2/
Amby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfootblues View Post
If you go to Darren Rielys site he has the 64's dor 39.99 a piece. Same with the 52's 58's.
Looks like he's only got the neck. They're only $40. Amazing.

So much for me selling mine at a premium on eBay to fund a Don Mare purchase.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yea. I wouldn't pay more than Darren's site. Let me k ow if you selling them 64's.