Lowell George/ Mid 70's Tele Pickup - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Lowell George/ Mid 70's Tele Pickup

Ive been searching for that over-compressed, clean Lowell George slide tone. I know he used the Alembic Stratoblaster and a Tele bridge pickup along with compressors and the Craftsman socket wrench. But what was the general Tele pickup he may have used back then? Can anyone recommend a good replacement bridge pickup that would be similar in tone to a mid 70's Telecaster? Thank you!

fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm hearing what you're talking about but I can't help you with any of the gear.

Old January 8th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Are you wanting to put a Tele pickup in a Strat or are you just looking to come close to a 70's Tele pickup for your Tele?

I've been a Feat fan since the early 70's. I only found out years later that Lowell used a Tele pickup in the bridge. But, I never would have mistaken his tone for a Tele sound. Tele pickups in a Strat never sound very "Tele" like to me. But, they do sound thicker than the normal SC bridge pickup.

Unless your building a tribute model, there are several companies that make a "Tele voiced" pickup for Strats. O.C Duff, Seymour Duncan and Harmonic Design come to mind.

If you are building a tribute model, a 70's style Tele bridge pickup specifications would probably not be a mystery to uncover.

Don Mare or Rob DiStefano would be two members here I would start with. Either for information or to wind you a pickup to as close to 70's specs as possible, if that's what your after.

Articles I've read. Lowell had several different guitars due to stolen gear and change just for the sake of change. Did they all have Tele pickups? Lowell would probably sound great on anything.

Good luck in your quest!
SPUDCASTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 30th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I recall reading something a couple of years ago where Paul Barrere discussed getting that classic Little Feat sound by using two compressors. I can't recall if they were in series with each other or one at the either end with other pedals in between. Definitely 2 compressors though. Google "Paul Barrere compressor" and I bet you'll find it. No advice on the pickup, though.
joealso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Welcome aboard joealso! I recall a Tonequest Report interveiw a few years back. I'm foggy on the details but the two compressor thing stuck. Curiouser and curiouser...
JKjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Start with an authentic mxr dyna comp type pedal...
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I should have maybe stated that I'm a huge LF/LG fan. I know about the MXR's and Lowell's use of a tele pickup in the bridge position, along with the Stratoblaster. I was just curious if the mid 70's tele pickup that Lowell likely used is recreated in anyway by Seymour Dunca, Fralin, or any other pick up manufacturer.

Thank you for the responses!

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

you can find the stratoblaster,the dynacomp,a tele bridge pu or tele/strat mix pickup,and plug socket..........I have no clue where you would find that Dumble
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Specifications I've seen for a 70's Tele bridge.

42 gauge wire

A5 magnets

6.4K DC resistance

Copper plated baseplate

The Seymour Duncan Antiquity II would be pretty close to these numbers. I'm sure there are other makers that have similar offerings.

Bear in mind, these are just numbers and you can't base exactly how any pickup will sound until you try it with your own gear.
SPUDCASTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

there are a few threads on the Strat discussion forum on this site....

As far as I know, it was a regular tele bridge, but that could have changed as often as he had guitars stolen

flatwound strings are a part of it

check out this thread: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocas...lly-ready.html
LightninMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

MXR Dynacomp..level all the way up...Comp all the way down
CC53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

2 of them for live stuff...

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

There's an outfit that makes a pedal (they advertise a lot on Facebook) that allegedly sounds like George's dual chained Urai studio rig.

http://www.origineffects.com/SlideRIG.php

Very pricey of course, and Urais were not his road rig. A Dyna-Comp is much more budget friendly and a fat-sounding tube amp is a must.

As for the tele pup, I recall an interview in which he said that he and Paul Barrare would shop for guitars at local music stores on the road, find Strats and play them as is. (FWIW)

Old April 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

This has been posted before but the interesting thing is that the strat switch is in the middle position for the lesson. Coincidence?

www.douglasmacrae.ca
black_doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks again for the replies. I have been looking at that pedal by origin effects. Pretty cool!
I have only noticed recently how often LG is in the middle position. It seems he's using that pickup 90% of the time. When he solos on some of the more rocking stuff, he goes to the bridge p/u.
I've since installed a tele bridge p/u in my strat and find it to be beefier than the strat bridge. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Old December 20th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

So here's my old partscaster with a '62 Fender Tele Bridge p/u installed. The Stratoblaster and Fralin's in the neck and middle positions have been on the guitar for awhile now.. maybe 10 years? Wow, time flies!

And yes, it's true, Lowell used that middle pickup probably 90% of the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	211290   Click image for larger version

Name:	photogtr2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	211291   Click image for larger version

Name:	photogtr4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	211292  

Old December 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_doug View Post
This has been posted before but the interesting thing is that the strat switch is in the middle position for the lesson. Coincidence?

God, he was so good.... I've seen it before (and beforer) and yet that never gets old (and that demo of Cooder's technique kills too). Bonnie Raitt credited him for his influence on her electric style/sound.

Saw him and Feat @ The Topanga Corral* http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_y...opanga-corral/ back when they were still playing such small rooms.

* R.I.P. The Topanga Corral ---and here's another footnote to it from an outre source: http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_y...nga_corral.htm

Old December 20th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My brother-in-law was one of the sound board operators for Little Feat in the mid 70's.
He may know his gear setup, I'll ask him on X-mas Eve when I see him.
Jebrone Lames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 09:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I remember talking with Paul Barrere one day after a show, and he and Fred were joking about each morphing into the other's style during a song when the double compressor topic came up. I don't remember exactly what Paul was using, but I didn't pay much attention because it seemed that the equipment that was coming out then was better than what Lowell had back in the '70's.

Anyway, I found an article where Paul talks about what he was using after the band re-formed. Here's an excerpt:

Guitar.com: Yeah, they are. And where does the signal go after your guitar?

Barrere: After my guitar I go into a pedal board. I used to have a real nice rack with all kinds of rack-mounted gear

Guitar.com: A Bradshaw kind of thing?

Barrere: Yeah, with a MIDI switcher and all that kind of thing. But I didn't like the little millisecond delay between hitting a patch and having it come up. So I canned all that stuff and went back to stompboxes. I use two compressors: the old Ibanez DS-10 and the Boss compressor, the blue one - I don't know the number on that one (CS-3). I used to have a Tube Screamer, but I replaced it with a Maxon Overdrive, which is just fat sounding. I love this new Maxon pedal. And I have a tap delay and a Blues Driver. And that's it.

Guitar.com: And how do you use these pedals? Are the two compressors on all the time?

Barrere: Not all the time. Sometimes, if I want to get really quiet, I'll just go with one. The secret behind the Little Feat slide sound, if you will, was developed years ago in the studio using two 1176 compressors. With one you're compressing the signal heavily, and with the other one you're driving it up. It tends to get a little noisy, so if we're doing a really quiet song, I'll click one of those compressors off and not really drive that really compressed signal as much. But for the most part, if I'm just playing, I've got the two compressors on, and then I just use the different stages of overdrive depending upon what kind of lead sound I'm looking for.

Here is the whole interview:

http://www.guitar.com/articles/feats...re-little-feat

Not Lowell, necessarily, since PB doesn't use the Tele bridge pup or the Alembic, but probably pretty close to the original signal chain.

Steve
radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 02:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Pretty sure all/most? Alembic circuits were active ....imo that affects tone greatly.....I would look at EMG pups as a starting place
MattW1970 is offline   Reply With Quote