Chicken Pickin' - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 29th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Chicken Pickin'

What pickups are the best for Chicken pickin'?
Any ideas

pohorsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I am not an authority

But I can do my share of chicken picken. A lightly wound bridge pick up is the normal preference. Usually one with a resistance below 8. I like em in the low 7's. The 6's are even better if you have the right rig.

A compressor can help, but it is not required.

A pro will tell you he can chicken pick with anything...and he is probably right. I just need a little more help than that. ha ha.

Light guage strings for me.

Old August 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I agree with lower resistance, in the low 7's to high or even mid 6's. Compressor does help a little, for some people, but some sound great without it. It would depend on guitar/amp setup of course. Some amps naturally compress more than others anyways.
randysmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 29th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

I agree. A pickup from 6+ to 7+ k is best, and with raised or staggered magnets.

I prefer a "Broadcaster" style pickup myself from 7+ to 8+ k with flat, larger diameter magnets. I can get away with some chicken picking, but this kind of pickup is not ideal for that.
Guitarslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Texas Specials

How good of a neck pickup is the Texas Tele vs. a Dimarzio Twang King, chicken pickin terms?
pohorsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

I wouldn't recommend the Texas Tele for what you're talking about. I have not had any experience with that Dimarzio.
Guitarslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think the Dimarzio would be better than the Texas Special, but I don't know if it would really fill the bill completely for neck pickup Chicken Pickin'. Of course the guitar it's in will make a difference, so I could only say give it a try. It's not as dark as a Texas, and the guitar I had it in got a good bit of a Strat like chime to it!
randysmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2005, 05:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The Texas Tele neck pickup stinks for chicken pick'n. I just got rid of mine due to it's lack of cluck and presence; it was WAAAAY too dark sounding and lacked the treble response. It also totally messed up the way the middle positon sounded.

I replaced it with a neck pickup from Vintage Vibe Guitars and couldn't be happier...I've finally got the snap and cluck I was looking for and my middle position sounds fantastic. I was also considering the Dimarzio Twang King but the Vintage Vibe was actually cheaper AND custom wound per request.

If I was unhappy with my bridge pickup I would have probably just bought a set from Vintage Vibe but I currently have a SD Broadcaster (one of the early 8.2K ones) and it sounds plenty twangy.
GUITARmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

Poultry reading

I prefer to pick my clunkers... Uh, I mean, "<u>cluckers</u>"... yeah, that's it... ;-) on Joe Barden pickups. But as alluded to above, chicken pickin' is really more about technique than it is about pickin' pickups... ;-) IMO, anyway. Best of luck, CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote