Screws removed from Humbucker for Noiseless Single Tone - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Screws removed from Humbucker for Noiseless Single Tone

Screws removed from Humbucker for Noiseless Single Tone
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/othe...2-minutes.html This is from Strat Talk. The vid is by the "wood makes no tonal difference" video guy, but here, he's got a point. If you remove the screws fom any p/up that has them, it weakens the magnetic field of that coil. (I did it w a single coil DeArmond years ago just for tone shaping) so w a HB you get a more single coil tone w no noise. Sort of a semi-dummy coil. He takes forever to come to the point , but the sound demos are worth while and show the sound change well.

Teleterr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

This is a cool concept. For some reason I'm locked out of the thread that was here on tdpri a week ago, and the link you posted doesn't work, at least on my computer.
waparker4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/othe...2-minutes.html

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

A copy of a copy, something got lost.

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I wonder (a) if it sounds convincing with anything but overwound humbuckers (b) what it sounds like only a subset of the screws are removed

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Before I replaced them altogether, this is pretty much what I did to the WRHB reissues in my 72 thinline reissue. I removed altogether the hidden pole pieces of each pup. I ended up putting the ones back in the bridge since it sounded better to me that way, but the neck position seemed to do well with the hidden pole pieces removed.
A non-issue now though and as for the reissue WRHB's that I now have collecting dust, I plan on getting Telenator's AlNiCo II mod 1 done to each of them at some point when I have a guitar to put them in.
It definitely has an effect on tone though to do this sort of thing to bar magnet humbuckers - hard to say if I would try it on what I felt was an already good sounding humbucker though...
hongaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
I wonder (a) if it sounds convincing with anything but overwound humbuckers (b) what it sounds like only a subset of the screws are removed
I kinda skimmed thru. I was basing this mods worthwhileness on my own direct experience from a while back as well.The Explorer w its screws removed sounded different and those are your typical Gibson old school HBs.(or did I miss something). I understand liking to mod, but if somethings big $ stock, why take the 1% chance even w a hard coil form of tampering w the screws.I killed a Gibson p/up by tightening the screws in too hard.But if youre not rambunctious like I was, its any easy mod to try for those who might want an alternative to new p/ups and soldering. 2 minutes for screw removal is optimistically fast tho.

Last edited by Teleterr; June 25th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Really don't get how this would work - the screws are not magnets, correct?
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There was a vid on here a couple days ago.

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
Really don't get how this would work - the screws are not magnets, correct?
The screws are not magnets but are the ferrous polepieces & they carry the magnetic field to the strings
copperheadroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadicated View Post
There was a vid on here a couple days ago.
I must have missed it. I usually just stay in the p/up section.It was in "other guitars" on Strat Talk so I looked thru 3 pages of that section here and couldn't find it. Any way, the video lets you hear the change , but its easy enough to take out the screws and hear the change for yourself.

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperheadroad View Post
The screws are not magnets but are the ferrous polepieces & they carry the magnetic field to the strings
Got that part just fine. What I absolutely don't get is how removing them would change the operation of the pickup enough to make it sound like a single coil. Doesn't change the impedance of the pickup. Doesn't weaken the coil they were removed from. At best I could see there being an infinitesimal difference, and by that I mean "one so minimal you wouldn't be able to tell from a YouTube video".

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Just pulled 'em on my office guitar. I hear NO difference at all.

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Got that part just fine. What I absolutely don't get is how removing them would change the operation of the pickup enough to make it sound like a single coil. Doesn't change the impedance of the pickup. Doesn't weaken the coil they were removed from. At best I could see there being an infinitesimal difference, and by that I mean "one so minimal you wouldn't be able to tell from a YouTube video".
It definitely changes the tone and lowers the volume. It does "weaken" the coil because its field is no longer focused and it starts spreading out no longer at right angles thru the coil. I lost volume from the DeA I took the screws out of. Try it yourself. It takes more than 2 minutes, but less than ten.Or skim thru the video to the actual guitar playing comparision....Got crossed in posting. Thats suprising.Its noticeable on the video, and when I've done it.

Old June 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
TDPRI Member

In my experience, this stuff's been around for years. Main problem, it's not instantly switchable.

Now making a single coil sound like a humbucker . . .
Eric Clapton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Its probably only for curiositys sake; actual dummy coils, splittable hbs, noiseless single models, all would be more useful or sound better. But it is interesting

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Actually, removing the screws will raise the reluctance (real word) of the circuit... and in turn will reduce the inductance somewhat. This will bring the highs up a bit while reducing the volume overall.
piece of ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Some suggest backing out half of each row of the pole pieces or screws on Fender Wide Range Humbuckers to liven them up. I did this to a guitar I had with two Wide Range Humbuckers, it did brighten and change the tone of the pickups. A downside to the mod though was that the pickups exhibited a lot of pick attack noise that was not pleasant. I put the screws back where they were, and the attack noise subsided and I didn't try that again.

Old June 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, attack is effected a lot if its just a single w screws , slightly less w a HB , but still very noticeable in some cases.. I thought this was an interesting concept so I thought I'd pass it on. Me, I'd just put in singles w a series option for fuller tone.

Old December 24th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

In every video this guy makes, he pats himself on the back and reflects in awe at his own genius for 10 minutes before coming to the point.

By all rights, this video should have come in at under one minute, two minutes tops.
Hoopermazing is offline   Reply With Quote