Albert Collins - both pickups or bridge only? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Albert Collins - both pickups or bridge only?

Hi all,

I'm just trying to settle a debate that I have, well, mostly with myself. I know that some claim that Albert was mostly about the middle position and other claim that he used mostly the bridge position.

I'm curious about it in general but mostly about his tone a specific songs - The Moon Is Full:

Albert plays the intro solo and the outro (starts 4:10). Robert Cray is responsible for the solo in the middle of the song.

There are other examples (like Iceman, or I Ain't Drunk) but this is almost the ultimate Tele tone, as far as I'm concerned...

What do you guys think - middle position? just bridge?

LohnnyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

To me,Albert always sounded like bridge pickup only.

MASTER VOLUME? WHAT'S A MASTER VOLUME?
refin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about the clip, but I saw Albert play close up in clubs many times and he went back and forth between the middle and bridge all the time. Most of the time he would be in the middle and then kick it to the bridge for more emphasis. Sometimes he would play octaves and organ type chord comps on the neck humbucker only. A cranked Quad Reverb, a tele and the longest guitar chord you've ever seen. What a player and showman.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a couple of AC live DVDs and I watched them very carefully. Mostly he played bridge alone, a couple of times he switched to middle briefly for certain passages.

That doesn't mean other times he didn't use middle more, and especially in the studio, but on those shows I have it was 98% bridge alone.

I actually have a couple more DVDs now since that time, haven't watched them with that in mind. Maybe I will to see what he does on those. It's not like it's a chore to watch Albert!

Old April 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for bringing up Albert in any way shape or form.

Was so lucky to have seen him at the Soup Kitchen (tiny club) in the late 80's, and was soooo deaf for a couple days after...

We still love ya Albert !

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Geo
Friend of Leo's

I've seen him play live quite a few times from early '70s to late and he used both N+B
and Bridge. Also saw him with just a B-3 and drums early '70s and he used the neck
more but not exclusive. Him and Albert King had picking thumbs big as my big toes.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eskimo View Post
Thanks for bringing up Albert in any way shape or form.

Was so lucky to have seen him at the Soup Kitchen (tiny club) in the late 80's, and was soooo deaf for a couple days after...

We still love ya Albert !
Don't mention it. Around 2001 I was thinking about starting to play guitar. Was listening to a lot of Eric Clapton, BB King and Santana back then. And then I got this CD:

It had Albert Collins doing the Moon Is Fool and Roy Buchanan doing this one:

I was hooked. I knew that I'm going to start playing guitar. Funny thing is that I never got a Tele. This is, currently, my missing piece of gear - and I want to buy one that would get me in the ballpark of this tones... so really - Albert Collins is like the Big Bang in the history of my guitar playing.

I still don't own a Tele...

So can anyone tell from this clip what position(s) he is using?
LohnnyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LohnnyL View Post
Hi all,

I'm just trying to settle a debate that I have, well, mostly with myself. I know that some claim that Albert was mostly about the middle position and other claim that he used mostly the bridge position.

I'm curious about it in general but mostly about his tone a specific songs - The Moon Is Full:

Albert plays the intro solo and the outro (starts 4:10). Robert Cray is responsible for the solo in the middle of the song.

There are other examples (like Iceman, or I Ain't Drunk) but this is almost the ultimate Tele tone, as far as I'm concerned...

What do you guys think - middle position? just bridge?
Definitely just the bridge.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EX, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote