Strat Pup in Tele Neck - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Strat Pup in Tele Neck

I am seriously considering doing this, but want some feedback first. For those of you who have done this, do you like the results or wish you had done something different? Also, has anybody used any of the 'noiseless' options out there? By the way, my bridge pup is a SD '59 full size humbucker. I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks.

Old April 9th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'm thinking of a Strat neck pup too. As for noiseless, I don't like them. It's to hard to judge noiseless pups though, some people swear by them, others hate them. I'm kinda in the middle. I think they're OK, but I'd rather use "real" pickups. I'm thinking of a Texas Special in the neck of my Tele. I just don't dig the Tele neck pup, but I love Strat neck pups. I have to switch guitars depending on what I want. I hope somebody can throw in there opinion on this subject. I'm very interested in it.
jebbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I use a vintage noiseless and love it. The tone I get out of my tele amazes me. It cuts like crystal.
colourm3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Take a look at the twisted tele neck pup. Its a taller magnet that gives incredible Strat like sounds while still having the tele neck look. They used to be hard to come by and expensive, but there are plenty to be had these days. Dint her caught up on wire colors or whether or not it was made in the custom shop. I had the "lesser" pickup and it was awesome. I regret selling it.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have 2 JD Teles (the MIJ version of the Jerry Donahue signature model). They come with a Strat pup in the neck position. I liked the way they sound (even the MIJ pups). I replaced the neck pup in one with a SD vintage style Strat neck pup -- sounded great. I replaced the neck pup in the other one with a Dimarzio Twang King. To my ear, the TK sounds a lot like a Strat pup. You might want to give this a try, as it's a direct replacement for a Tele neck pup and you won't have to change pickguards.

Funny, but I was thinking of going in the opposite direction and installing a neck pup that gives me a classic Tele neck sound :)
max_twang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass35011 View Post
I am seriously considering doing this, but want some feedback first. For those of you who have done this, do you like the results or wish you had done something different? Also, has anybody used any of the 'noiseless' options out there? By the way, my bridge pup is a SD '59 full size humbucker. I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks.
Bill Lawrence's L280TN and L202TN are Tele-sized and get Fender-style tones with perfect clarity, beautiful highs if your speaker can bring them, although I'm not sure I'd want to call them "Strat-like". They're also noiseless :)
Derek Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Take a look at the twisted tele neck pup. Its a taller magnet that gives incredible Strat like sounds while still having the tele neck look. They used to be hard to come by and expensive, but there are plenty to be had these days. Dint her caught up on wire colors or whether or not it was made in the custom shop. I had the "lesser" pickup and it was awesome. I regret selling it.

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ive had a strat pickup in the neck of one or another tele for 20 years...currently I have a Velvet Hammer strat pup in the neck position on my Nashville west.....The Nashville West has Red Rhodes wiring harness and the extra coil on the bridge pickup but I usually play in the "traditional" tele setting...

Ive used Duncan antiquituies, 57/62s (very nice IMHO...my favorite next to the Velvet Hammers), Custom shop 54s, Duncan Alnico IIs, etc. The strat pickup seems to be alot more usuable than the stock tele pickup...in both the middle and front positions...and I alway thought it looked cool

You will have to enlarge the hole in the pickguard..which is a fuss-file -cuss and fit job with a half round file..or you can get one made ...most pickguard vendors will cut one for a strat pickup in the neck
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm about to go down this road also. I keep reading about the twisted tele so think I might try that first. My strat has the CS 69 pickups in it, and I would love to drop something similar intot he tele if the twisted pup doesn't work out.
CA_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The twisted tele is great. I also have the dimarzio true velvet t neck which is also more Strat like. Both the aforementioned pups are 4 way switch ready which is a nice plus. I do like the twisted more than the velvet. Its got that fat Strat tone.

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

If you switch you'll be lookin' for that round sweet kinda restrained tele neck sound and you won't have it.
misterdontmove is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My thanks to all who posted replies. I have ordered a GFS True Coil strat neck pick up to put in my Tele. I do like the "uncovered" look. Once it is in I'll post what I think of it.

Old April 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You - nor any other posters, unless I missed it - haven't mentioned the fact that putting a Strat pickup in a the neck will require extra routing. Just want to make sure that you are aware of this fact - hence all the recommendations for the Twisted Tele. The Keystone Tele neck pickup also has a lot of sparkle, unless you roll it off with the tone knob.
jbdrumbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Check out the Tigers set with an open staggered Strat style Tele sized neck pup
http://www.dallenpickups.com/product...20tgrstgrd.htm
D.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Have a strat in my thinline and tried it in a 62 also. Like them. I think strat pups generally sound better than teles in the neck. But i DO love the tele twang king neck pup. Only one i ever found i thought sounded great. Otherwise i prefer strat PUPs. Tele neck pups just usually sound dull to me even w/o the cover.
fender4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4life View Post
Tele neck pups just usually sound dull to me even w/o the cover.
Not the Keystone neck - it's got some snap to it.
jbdrumbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm using the Harmonic Designs mini Strat neck pickup. Absolutely love it. Very strat-like tone and fits without any modification in your Tele body.
724SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have one of mine setup that way. I used a Rio Grande vintage Tallboy and I like it a lot. The 2 pos is nice iffin' you dig the strat-o thing from time to time.
bluebilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I have put several different pups in the neck of my beater tele.. hands down the best tone was from a Lace sensor gold. I have used Holy Grails Texas specials and several noisless in the same guitar but the Lace was cleanest and had greater tonal response,.. but be aware the routing required will be permanent!!
jamiesguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

the tele dynamic pup duo - tele bridge, strat neck. the very best of both tele and strat worlds. love it.

a strat pup will fit inside a tele pickguard's neck rout if you remove the strat's plastic cover. you can wrap a bit of electrical tape or string around the strat's coil if its exposure concerns you.

killer tele bridge and sweet strat neck ... ah, life is good.

Classic Guitar & Bass Pickups
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote