Weider Big T vs. Twisted Tele vs. other tall magnet pickups - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Weider Big T vs. Twisted Tele vs. other tall magnet pickups

I have the Baja Twisted Tele neck pickup, I also have the Nocaster neck pickup and a Budz pickup that is taller than all of them. Dave named it the Stylemaster after me .

I was wondering if the Big T has any advantage in output and tone over these other tall magnet neck pickups or if it would be redundant.

Stylemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hello?

Old March 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Betcha not too many guys here, if any, have tried the TT, Budz and Big-T pickups, thus the crickets (or were they peepers?)
GuitarJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 17th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJonz View Post
Betcha not too many guys here, if any, have tried the TT, Budz and Big-T pickups, thus the crickets (or were they peepers?)
Well I've tried the Twisted Tele and the Stylemaster (which is a great, great pickup) but I have never tried the Big T. I wonder if the Big T is similar to the Stylemaster. The Twisted Tele seems too scooped for me - favoring the high and low end.

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I will let you know what I think of mine as soon as I get it installed. ordered a Big-T for my tele and once it's in I will be sure to post.
sevycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

There's a review of the Jim Weider Big T pup in a recent issue
of Vintage Guitar Magazine. They were impressed if that means
anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8BsqDHMieQ

Here's a demo of it if you are interested.
moondogz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I haven't tried the Big T or other tall magnet pickups. But I wasn't really that impressed with the Twisted Tele I tried, seemed a bit thin to me, I preferred the stock American Std neck pickup.
fakeplastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I love my Budz purebred neck PU. Not sure how different it is from the stylemaster or twisted Tele PU. I have a new custom shop fender on the way and it has a twisted Tele neck pu that blew me away when I first played it. No experience with the Weider Big T. Keep us posted.
Groberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Suhr makes an outstanding front pup.
Ramblin Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I just finished installing the Big T neck pickup and from what I hear, the results are good. I will have to play it way more to know everything it can do for my sound, but so far very very good results.
sevycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Big T is excellent.....I have had about a year now. Put it in my 92' 52 reissue. Always found the neck pickup weak (even with the modern wiring) , I think more into that fullness richness (strat-like). It sounds full clear (plenty of crystal bottom if you want it). Its not Stratty souinding but in the same bracket....just what i was after...neck pickup with controlled upmh!!
Joely is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, not much experience except with the Twisted Tele in the neck of my Baja (and the one that was in the neck of my Custom Shop Deluxe before I got rid of it for not having any real soul ...). BUT ... you said 'other' and I have Rio Grande Tall Boys in a Partscaster. I like 'em -- powerful. I have 'em set low (I actually had to skinny-up the top-piece of the bridge pickup so that it would sink to level with the bridge itself). There ya go ... another county (parish?) heard from.

Caution: This post is caveated by the fact the Poster may be, in actuality, a MRON.
TeleKato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a baja and felt kind of 'so-so' about the twisted tele. Never played with the height that much and probaly should have. I also had the big T in another tele and put it in the baja. The bit T sounds natural, big and fuller. Also better and more musical then the TT... but I think the big T should be modded as follows...

The big T has long pole magnets that stick out the back end quite a bit. While it sounds big which is great, it is too bassy for me. I am surprised they did not taper or cut down the length of the magnet poles under the E and A string etc. In fairness maybe its not super bass heavy but playing through fender amps they tend to be overly bassy anyway.

Its beautiful for finger picking but as stated a bit bottom heavy and have to really lower that the end of the pickup. To some degree its hard to get a traditional bridge pickup to balance against it. I just replaced the baja bridge with a bare knuckle pickup flat 50. Both of those pickups are probably best in their class but its not your traditional twangy thinner tele sound. But its a much more serious players axe especially for guys like me doing harder rock.

So I can get really good strong bridge humbucker like tones for lead and heavy dirt and then switch to the middle or neck pickup for cleaner and more open sounds for rhythm and jazz.

Last edited by Webfoot; April 23rd, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The tall magnets are what give these neck pickups their sound.

I'm worried that the Big T will not have enough high end, like the Lollar Special T neck pickup that I tried. Or is it too much low end?

The Twisted Tele is the best neck pickup that I've tried so far, but I would like one that has it's clarity and low end but not as scouped in the mids.

But maybe that's not possible?
figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

my fav pup of this flavor is don mare's englishGuard. it's a custom order now, but it combines massive alnico III mags with a low wind of special gauge wire. the combo of big mags/low wind makes for a very gretsch-like clarity.