Just ordered: Bill Lawrence Keystone Set - do tell..? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just ordered: Bill Lawrence Keystone Set - do tell..?

Picked this guitar up used:
It came with some special DiMarzio Yngwie Malmsteen razzle dazzle pick-ups but I think they sound gawd awful - so they're going up on eBay ASAP
Also the scalloped neck is already sold and I managed to find a nice Fender Custom Shop Large Headstock neck...

But my question is this:
I just went onto the Bill Lawrence site (right up above from the ad banner) and ordered the Keystone Strat set of three... totally based on faith alone
Who's heard these and what can I expect (I have a Fender super sonic head / and a Blues Junior)

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have Bill's Pickups in most of my guitar. I liked the Tele Keystones for tone, but I've since replaced those with the L280TN and L280TL due to noise. I tried the Strat Keystone set, but I didn't like them compared w/ the L280 Strat set. The Keystones were too bassy; they didn't have the bite of the L280, and then there was the noise of the Keystones. The L280 pups were just better in every respect.
Tele-phone man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

you tube has demos of all of them.
MonkeyKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you don't like them, I recommend Van Zandt True Vintage.

WaylonFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-phone man View Post
I have Bill's Pickups in most of my guitar. I liked the Tele Keystones for tone, but I've since replaced those with the L280TN and L280TL due to noise. I tried the Strat Keystone set, but I didn't like them compared w/ the L280 Strat set. The Keystones were too bassy; they didn't have the bite of the L280, and then there was the noise of the Keystones. The L280 pups were just better in every respect.
Hey thanks..!!!
If these don't do the trick I'll try the L280's - It's amazing how inexpensive they are, it allows a guy to kind of "see what works"
I appreciate the feedback

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The Keystones are designed to capture the performance of the best early 60s Fender pickups, which they do rather well. The Strat pickups are more "straight-ahead" in that regard, as the Tele set uses a cover that doesn't affect the tone of the pickup as well as a lower inductance (better delivers sweet highs to the amp without harshness), which makes the Tele set fairly distinct from an attempt at an exact clone.
Derek Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote