Lollar Regal WRHB - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Lollar Regal WRHB

Hey guys. My new Lollar Regal is on the brown truck for delivery today and I can't wait to drop it in my '72 Telecaster Custom RI! I went through a lot trying to get the stock pup to sound less muddy, and I got it close, but not close enough. I have 1meg pots installed right now, but here's my real question.

Are you using 500k or 250k pots as Lollar recommends?

I have both, but I'd rather spend more time playing than trying to figure out which pots I like best. My gut is telling me to go with the 500k because we are dealing with a humbucker, but Jason Lollar knows a hell of a lot more about pickups than I do. Any thoughts?

Check out my band!
Five Long Years
mistermullens is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermullens View Post
Hey guys. My new Lollar Regal is on the brown truck for delivery today and I can't wait to drop it in my '72 Telecaster Custom RI! I went through a lot trying to get the stock pup to sound less muddy, and I got it close, but not close enough. I have 1meg pots installed right now, but here's my real question.

Are you using 500k or 250k pots as Lollar recommends?

I have both, but I'd rather spend more time playing than trying to figure out which pots I like best. My gut is telling me to go with the 500k because we are dealing with a humbucker, but Jason Lollar knows a hell of a lot more about pickups than I do. Any thoughts?
I use 500K, which I thought is what Lollar recommends. I know it says you can just drop them in, but I read a post by Lollar somewhere that says he prefers to 500K pot, so that is what is in mine. I will try and find it and add a link.
jmtaylor22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here is the link.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc.../t-935067.html

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the link! I'm going to go with the 500k based on what I just read from JL. Looks like he and I use similar amps as well.

Check out my band!
Five Long Years

Old January 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermullens
Thanks for the link! I'm going to go with the 500k based on what I just read from JL. Looks like he and I use similar amps as well.
Cool! Would be interested to hear what you think I put them in my thinline and I think they are fantastic.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've got it wired up, and I followed the instructions....

Shielded Cable: Unbraid the outside shield by picking at the braid a few strands at a time starting at the cut end and working in a straight line down one side of the cable. Expose 1/2"3/4" of the inside center lead insulation then twist the peeled back braid into one lead. The lead created from the braid is connected to ground. The insulated center conductor is the hot lead.

Things seem correct, but it just seemed weird to do that with the braid. Probably because I 'm used to wiring up Tele pups. Got a new Broadcaster pup to go with the Regal. Just need to string it up.

Check out my band!
Five Long Years

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Things seem correct, but it just seemed weird to do that with the braid. Probably because I 'm used to wiring up Tele pups. Got a new Broadcaster pup to go with the Regal. Just need to string it up.

not weird - the Gibson 57 classics work the same way
adjason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I posted this in Tele-Tech, but I've had no response. Maybe you guys can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermullens
Hey guys. I'm running into a road block and I need some help. I recently purchased a Lollar Regal WRHB, and grabbed an SD Broadcaster while I was at it. I got them installed yesterday, but noticed there was a slight problem with the wiring. I stepped away until today to come at it fresh. I printed the this wiring diagram from Fender. I realized I was missing the bare wire from 3-way. Solved that issue, but came across another. Individually, the pups work perfectly, but in the middle position I can control both pups simultaneously with each set of vol/tone controls. I lose the ability to have one pup louder than the other for example. Basically, they've lost their individuality.

I've checked the diagram literally 10 times against my wiring, and it looks good. Any ideas?

Check out my band!
Five Long Years