72 Thinline Pickups? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

72 Thinline Pickups?

I just got a 72 Fender Thinline, love it. What exactly are Wide-Range pickups? I have a 2009 MIM Strat that has, I belive, Ceramic magnets. A Squier Tele that has some transplanted TexMex pickups...Alnico magnets? So what's in a Wide-Range pickup?

Thanks.

b2187101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have the same guitar - reissue. Great axe.

This is out of the The Fender Telecaster book by A. R. Duchossoir. They were designed by Seth Lover, who went to Fender from Gibson. The magnetic material is Conife. Both pups are the same, the wire is 42 Ga. Polysol, 10,000 turns, DC resistance is 10,600 - both coils, Inductance is 4.85, and something called the Q-factor is 2.87. Thats all there is. I know no more, except I'll be cremated with that axe.

Jim
Jim622 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I should have stated "Re-issue". I have a 2007 Thinline. Are the pickups basically the same?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Nope. The originals had the CoNiFe pickups, and Fender stopped production of those pickups I think in '79, but someone may correct me on that. Somewhere between '79 and '81, anyway. Too lazy to pull up Wikipedia right now and check my facts . . . Anyway, we'll say '79, and in that year, Fender moved production of the thinline, custom, and deluxe (all WRHB-equipped guitars) to Japan, where the pickup was equipped with different magnets and internal makeup. It is said (note the vaguaries) that the Japanese WRHB was a bit hotter than the original American made pup. Again, not gonna be able to pull the year out of my hat, but at some point, I want to say early '90's, they moved production of these guitars to Mexico. This is most certainly what you have, a Mexican-made Thinline re-issue. These pickups are basically standard humbuckers placed in the larger WRHB casing, and then the casing is filled with wax. Again, I'm basically regurgitating some Wikipedia I read a while ago, so I recommend checking out the entry yourself and correcting in your mind all my misrememberings . . . Love the pickups, though, and love the teles equipped with them. In the process of building a left-handed tele Custom with original '72 pickups right now . . . Hope I've been helpful.
johmica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The magnetic material is CuNiFe not CoNiFe.
Thundersleet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Right. Darned Periodic Table!!!!

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Dang... now I'm google searching for Japanese made Wide range humbuckers :(

Is it me... or can NO guitar player just leave well enough alone? I mean, strings, pickguards, pickups, now my thing is EL84s. Is it me? Really?

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ah, you'll be able to leave well-enough alone, once it's PERFECT!!!!! Then you'll move on to the next guitar (and yes, I know this all too well . . . )

Old April 4th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The Japanese WRHs are much hotter than the Mexican ones. They use ceramic bar magnets and have about 12.5K DC resistance across the windings. Stock they can get a little 'thick' sounding, and do better with 500K volume pots.

I run a Japanese WRH in the bridge with a MIM in the neck, both with Telenator's "Mod 1" Alnico II magnets. The pickup mods are priceless, and the difference in character between the two pickups makes my '72 Deluxe a much more versatile guitar.

-Laird
laird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have found that Lollar(?) makes a wide range pickup? Is this supposed to be the same as the original 72 or hotter like the Japanese?

Old April 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2187101 View Post
I have found that Lollar(?) makes a wide range pickup? Is this supposed to be the same as the original 72 or hotter like the Japanese?
Jason is making a Wide Range Pickup copy, he is not using CuNiFe magnets. I believe they are in the vintage power range, with a slightly hotter overwound bridge position pickup.
Staggered Mag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

There is only one source for a true vintage WRHB repro that uses the correct magnets, and meets all the important specifications. Telenator.

The sole manufacturer of CuNiFe WRHBs in the world.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telenator View Post
There is only one source for a true vintage WRHB repro that uses the correct magnets, and meets all the important specifications. Telenator.

The sole manufacturer of CuNiFe WRHBs in the world.
^^this^^

His pickup mods are DEFINITELY worth checking out too. I have his Mod 1 in one of my guitars and it is a huge improvement over the stock reissue pickup...

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I am awaiting a lollar regal for the neck of my 72 ri custom. It was pricey but hopefully it captures more of the original sound.
keef84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

It will sound better than the stock pickup.

www.telenator.com

Old April 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The difference in the magnet material is what makes the original CuNiFe WRHB's from way back when worth $700 or so on the market....so I am told.
I do know that I like what that pickup does in the neck position. I just sold a '75 Custom with orignal pickups...the neck p-up sounded great.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My 72 RI sounds great stock. I changed the pickguard just to be different.
RockerDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I find the stock WRHBs sound OK if you're playing alone, or recording with a fair amount of gain. In a band mix however, they just lack some of the necessary qualities that would otherwise allow the guitar to assume it's place in the mix. A live band sound is very different from a "playing alone sound" or even what you'd use for recording.

I'm not saying they're necessarily bad pickups, just that they have their strong points and weak points like anything else.

www.telenator.com