Hum issue, need help... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Hum issue, need help...

Alrighty, here's the deal.

I got a set of Tex-mex tele pickups in a trade, and stuck them in my MIM Std. I now have a wicked hum. Sounds like a ground loop, but it all looks good.

Here's something I dealt with- When I got the pickups home, I noticed the coil wire was broken where it attached to the leads. It was just not attached. It really took some doing, because I don't have the right stuff to really do it properly, but I did get it re-soldered to the right place.

The pickup works and sounds great, but I am wondering if I did something to it that is causing it not to function properly and that is where this loud as bombs buzz is originating from. Am I onto something? Do I need a new pickup? Or is this not likely to be the problem?

The other thing I noticed, is that the stock MIM pickups both had their ground wires screwed down into the pickup cavities, as well as attached in the proper places. This seemed silly to me, and redundant, so I just wired up the new pickups the same way I always wire them, a-la Fender and Seymour Duncan diagrams.

Unless I broke the pickup (but what the heck, it was broken anyhow so why not try?) I can't figure out all the hum. Anybody?

Edit- with most grounding problems I've dealt with, you can kill the hum by touching the bridge, pots, strings etc. With this guitar, the hum actually gets louder when you touch those parts. Much louder.

Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

DOH! Just looked at it again. Had no ground run to the bridge plate. Problem solved. The moral of the story- Don't drink and solder.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Dude, glad you solved it so easily. Could you have a look at my issue that I just posted? Any help appreciated. Nomad
NomadNomad666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting