seymour duncan 5-2 pickups - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

seymour duncan 5-2 pickups

I recencently had a partscaster put together. swamp ash body and maple neck. I had the seymour duncan 5-2 pickups installed. I like the sound of the pickups. My problem is; when I set the tone for the neck pickup, my bridge pickup is too bright on the high notes. If I set the bridge pickup where I like it, then the neck pickup is too muddy sounding. I use an Evans amp and it works well with my American standard tele, or my G&L classic. I would appreciate any suggestions. I play mostly classic country, some new country, and Chet Atkins style. I appreciate any suggestions.

Dave

dapam03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've had the set for some time. Funny you posted...I just swapped the neck out for a GFS Fatbody yesterday. The GFS is uncovered and cuts through much better. If you want a clear, Strat sound, it's a good choice.

Many folks on this forum have tried to tackle the Tele neck pickup dilemma. I don't think you'll be able to use just one setting for both pickups. I play weekly in church and I found that I could tweak the tone from the neck by using a near-clean boost for it. I have a Keeley-modded Blues Driver and it perked up the tone from the neck nicely.

I swapped yesterday because I find that what I'm hearing in my head is a Strat neck pickup and the GFS covers that ground pretty well.

Jason

Fly Navy! http://www.hsl49.navy.mil/
Jason R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

dapam03, I have had SD V-II's for six years, I guess. They age nicely.

I found success in mixing them by playing with the relative heights, and skewing one end of the pickup higher than the other, and using my rhythm pickup as the "K constant," and matching the bridge pickup (lowering it, in most cases IMO) to my perfect r p/u height, by using the combined switch position to set it up by ear.

This way one amp setting works, although "home" for my guitar tone control is maybe 8. In my system, I try to have a rhythm pickup that can go from Gibson acoustic/Everlies sound at a guitar tone setting of maybe 5, and slightly Strat-ish with guitar tone on 10. Getting the treble side of the rhythm pickup up high enough to be Strat-ish is getting it close to magnetic interference, though, so you can't get too crazy.

Getting a non-muddy bass sound from the r pickup, like a Gibson acoustic sound, IMO, can involve lowering the bass side of the pickup, maybe close to the pickguard.

I'm going out on a limb here....
pbenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 27th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I lowered the bridge pickup a bit as it was louder then the neck pickup. I like to use all three settings when i'm playing. Neck for western swing, etc. middle for chet stuff, and bridge for hag, and waylon style. I wonder if there is another seymour I could use in the neck.
dapam03 is offline   Reply With Quote