Dimarzio Area T bridge pickup - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Dimarzio Area T bridge pickup

Needing your input on the Dimarzio Area T bridge pickup ! I'm wanting to play classic rock , blues and COUNTRY !!! Will the Area T do the twang for country ???

clapointe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yes yes YES. It's the best bridge pickup I've ever used.
Chrismo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

It's very good, but being alnico2 you need to take time setting the height. Alnico2 is very height sensitive and a few turns of a screwdriver can make a big difference.

I actually prefer the pickup that the AreaT replaced...the DP412 Virtual Vintage Tele regular output. That's what I have in my tele and esquire and they aren't coming out. Ever.
I did put an AreaT in a thinline I had until recently and I did some experimenting swapping the AreaT and the DP412 between it and my esquire and I felt that the DP412 had the edge over the AreaT, even though the AreaT was very good. I can't remember exactly why now, but I liked either guitar that much more when the DP412 was in it. I ended up leaving the AreaT in the thinline and selling it.
I emailed Dimarzio to tell them that they needed have bothered trying to 'improve' the DP412...and that they didn't anyway. They had it right with the DP412. They emailed back that they didn't agree and that they need to constantly improve and change and move forward, blah, blah, blah....which didn't make sense to me considering that they still make the FS1 strat pickup.
If it ain't broke...

You sometimes see DP412s on eBay.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've tried the Area T twice. I want to like it. I have an Area Hot T and although I like it a lot, there are times when I wish it was just a tad less hot. I found the Area T to not be hot enough. And this is after carefully experimenting with pickup heights.

TG, I agree with your comments about leaving well enough alone. Perhaps it's the guitar it's in too, but I really like the Area Hot T's predecessor, the DP413. Oh well.
Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I tried to like my area T. I installed it, gigged with it, tweaked it and removed it. Enough said. It had no balls! In my opinion.
loudguitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudguitars View Post
I tried to like my area T. I installed it, gigged with it, tweaked it and removed it. Enough said. It had no balls! In my opinion.
The Area Hot T has balls. I'd give that one a shot.

Old February 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I love my Area T's but I'm not a country guy so I won't comment on the twang factor. But tor rock tones, it's certainly more than capable and sounds great.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Is it a stack pickup?

Chrismo is making me very curious about the pup.
Voicing 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't hate me...but maybe the deciding factor as to whether the pickup sounds great or not has more to do with the instruments they are in. Some guitars really shine acoustically/electrically if the neck and body mate well. Just a thought
TeleJelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

TeleJelly is right - the pickup should fit the guitar.

Voicing 13 - I believe it does utilize a stack design in order to be hum-canceling. I may be mistaken as it does not look as tall as the Duncan stacks to me.

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks Chrismo!

V

Old February 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismo View Post
TeleJelly is right - the pickup should fit the guitar.

Voicing 13 - I believe it does utilize a stack design in order to be hum-canceling. I may be mistaken as it does not look as tall as the Duncan stacks to me.
I read somewhere that they use a weird stack design where the "second" winding is incomplete thus keeping the height down. According to them it's also what allows them to still sound like single coils. It's supposed to be a unique design to Dimarzio.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Funkybot,
thanks I'll do more research on these. The website doesn't say much.

V

Old February 15th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I am also curious about the Hot Area T. Would it sound bad if it was paired with a regular Area T neck and also use the 4-way switching option?
Thanks,
RWF
RFurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Funkybot - that's very similar to what I was told a long time ago. Almost like a dummy coil with the actual coil. They do that with the Bluesbucker...

RFurman - it would not sound bad at all - your bridge pickup would just be slightly gainier than a typical Area T. In fact I was suggested the Area Hot T with my Area T neck because I do play classic rock often.

Old February 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Chrismo,
Question for you -- can you effectively back off your volume pot on that Hot Area T, get it to clean up rather well, and get a little of a part of that vintage twang out of that bridge pup? I really do like the sounds that I have heard (for what little they are worth) on the DiMarzio site and the UTube. You would be a good judge as to whether that pup can get that good sweet sustain and crisp sound that I heard on the DiMarzio site. Thanks for your reply . . .
RFurman
RFurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFurman View Post
Chrismo,
Question for you -- can you effectively back off your volume pot on that Hot Area T, get it to clean up rather well, and get a little of a part of that vintage twang out of that bridge pup? I really do like the sounds that I have heard (for what little they are worth) on the DiMarzio site and the UTube. You would be a good judge as to whether that pup can get that good sweet sustain and crisp sound that I heard on the DiMarzio site. Thanks for your reply . . .
RFurman
Anytime you roll back your volume you will be cleaning up a pickup - I think with the Area Hot T you should be able to clean up just nicely. It's not so hot that it loses its singlecoil qualities - just a tad thicker for an increased bite with gain.

Old February 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Are you guys using 250k pots or 500k pots ?
clapointe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I use 250K pots for singlecoils.

Old February 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've been using both the Area T bridge and neck pups in my Tele for a couple of weeks now. I'm amazed at how "Tele - like" they sound. I've literally tried dozens of pickups in this same Tele during the past 25 years and I like these the best. I play all kinds of music and find the neck pickup to be great for jazz and blues, while the bridge works for both rock and country. Plus,the middle position has a cool funk / R&B tone. This is an extremely versatile pickup combination. The only downside is that the bridge pup is louder than the neck no matter how I adjust their height.

By the way, I'm in the process of trying different pot combinations and currently have both the volume and tone pots bypassed. I have a 1 meg tone pot on the way from Acme. Will install it when received and let you know how it sounds.
jmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote