donahue wiring - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

donahue wiring

I tried a peavey omniac today and found the 5 position switch to give some nice options, a jazzy tone and the quack you get from a strat in the 4th position )middle + bridge) I did a search for it and found two schematics:

as well as:

The latter defines nocaster PUs which I have in my MIM Esquire. Anyway to me the two schematics look a bit different.
I've been pretty fond of robert crays sound lately but somehow the strat middle pickup always gets in the way of my picking hand (it's been some years since I sold my strat). would I get some of the strat quack with that wiring (with the nocaster PUs), is it worth the effort?
would I need just a normal strat switch and the caps or something special?
I am a technical moron and probably would ask my neighbor to solder it for me, so maybe someone can be so friendly to list the parts I would have to buy?

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Unless your tele has wider control cavity than mine, you will need to have a custom plate made to fit the 5 way super switch, see here. (or make the cavity wider )

You can buy those switches from lots of places, I got mine from here.

WRT the wiring differences, I'll have a look.

EDIT: Neither of the wiring diagrams above have the same pinouts as Fender 5 way super switch. If you want to try the circuits, you'll have to re-draw them. (or buy one of their switches)

Last edited by cc9cii; September 30th, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
cc9cii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That second diagram above isn't quite right (or I don't know how to read it properly). Here is a similar one that should work. Care should be taken, since some of the short grey connections are *very* difficult to see!

The main differences (using the other JD diagram):

Peavy has tone engaged all the time. However the second neck position and the parallel position has extra cap (can't read the values, looks like 0.0033uF and 0.0022uF).

Peavy has treble bleed (150k & 0.001 in parallel).

JD has no tone for the first neck position or the phase reverse position.

NOTE: again, the switch pinouts of all these diagrams are different to the Fender 2 wafer 5 way super switch

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

FYI, the second drawing with the Lexisnexis branding is my creation. It has since been corrected. I thing about 4 years ago.....

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks butch,

and is there anyway I can get this corrected drawing?
Does it work fine with the nocaster PUs?
I thought the Peaveys system with the "Jazz"-preset and the quack-preset gave pretty much the options I could use. Does that wiring of yours do these?
And could you please provide a list of parts (would I need to buy some wire, too, so I can go shopping and ask my friendly neighbor to do the soldering?

BTW. is cc9cii right that the switch doesn't fit into the cavity? or is there one that fits?

Old October 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Gentlemen?

If the "super-switch" does not fit, can I get the 3 classic tele sounds + the strat-quack with a four-way switch?

Old October 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

how about that one?
http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?c...&product=17009
the german description says it needs much less space than the fender superswitch.

Old October 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i found this diagram on the SD forum a few months ago. I think it is right. it uses a superswitch, instead of the one peavey uses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peavey_JD.png
Views:	319
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	32797  
Guitartom_ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosuch View Post
how about that one?
http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?c...&product=17009
the german description says it needs much less space than the fender superswitch.
That one might work, although I've not seen one up close. You need to make sure there are altogether 24 'lugs' (well, for that switch solder pads).

It should be noted that my guitar's control cavity might be narrower than yours. I don't know if the super switch will fit or not on YOUR guitar. The superswitch needs a tad over 1/2" from the center line, so, if your control cavity is exactly 1" wide, then you're likely to have trouble fitting that switch. If, however, you have 1 1/8 or more, then you might be lucky (may have to bend a few lugs to fit, still).

If you decide to get the rockinger switch and need help with a wiring diagram, I'm happy to help out as long as you tell me how the switch is configured (you may need a multimeter to figure that out).

Old October 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I talked to hardy kurandt today, inventor of the silvermachine wah and electronics wizzard. he'll get a switch his friend makes and then have a try.
any help will be appreciated if it does not work with the given schedule.

Old October 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire