Tele Pickup advice? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Tele Pickup advice?

I need a new bridge pickup for my partscaster Tele. I currently have a Fralin Blues special bridge in my Fender CW Tele and I really like that pickup...gets great Clarence tone....

I want to get something different for the partscaster...not that I want it to sound that different...Just something a little different.. along the lines of something that emphasizes the best attributes of acoustic, classic tone of Tele's.

Here's a couple of pickups I've been thinking about. I appreciate comments if you have experience with these:

Seymour Duncan Five-Two Tele bridge
Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack Tele bridge
Seymour Duncan Broadcaster Tele bridge
Fender Nocaster Tele Bridge

Any suggestions?

BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2004, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well that's a hard one...

Something really different? ...don't try a SD or a Fender for once, but a:
-Suhr Fat Tele
-Lollar Vintage Special
-Voodoo Broadcaster/TE50
-Harmonic Design '54 special or vintage plus

Or maybe a P-90 style bridge pup? Like a Kersting T-90???

PS SD's en Fender pups are excellent.
TwinReverb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Check the SD website and user group forum

There has been a long and interesting thread at the SD forum on the ultimate Tele tone, including direct comparisons by a couple of individuals on some of the Tele pickups you mentioned along with the Fralin BS. I can personally vouch for the excellent quality of the Nocaster and the SD Jerry Donahue Tele lead pickups. The SD Antiquity is supposed to be great as well. You might also want to let people know the guitar's body and fingerboard wood, and the general musical styles you pursue, as that can make some difference.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Depends on several factors....

Your style, amp, tele, etc......what do you want the pickup to do? Do you want twang or girth? My recommendations and favorites might sound like dog doo to you! However, since I love to talk about, try and recommend pickups, I'll give you a few in no particular order:

Van Zandt Tru Vintage Flat Pole: Very authentic, vintage 50's style pickup. Excellent pickup with great, traditional tele tone.

SK T-90: I love this pickup. It's what I currently use and could not be happier with it's tone...both alone and how it blends with my neck bucker. Fat, sweet P-90 type tones, yet capable of traditional spank. One of the most responsive pickups to volume and tone control changes that I've used...next to...

Jason Lollar Vintage: Jason's "Special" is a bit hotter...along the lines of a "blues", but with a touch more sweetness. His vintage offering is probably the best ( in no way have I heard them all, so please keep that in mind! ) I've heard. A beautiful sounding pickup.

Electrokraft: Tony winds some nice pickups. I've used his blues model and a slightly underwound vintage style. Both are excellent pickups.

Others to consider: Vintage Vibe, OC Duff, Curt Novak, David Stephans. Steve Kersting, Tom Short and a plethora of other pickup makers putting out excellent products. I would go this way other than the old ( not that there's anything wrong with them, they make great pickups. I just like giving the little guy the biz and finding somthing special ) standby's. YMMV

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'll vouch for the Voodoo (Peter Florance) TE50's Broadcaster. I can't say enough good things about them. They're clear, fat, bright, and smooth. They're wound to about 9k, and Peter modeled it after the broadcaster pickups he's repaired and rewound. If you want something different from a tele, but not too different, I'd grab these. They have other-worldly harmonics I have never heard before in a tele. This is my suggestion for a guitar with a maple neck.

For rosewood necks, I like the staggered pole pickups the best. I think the rosewood with these pickups more growl, and the end result is very raw and gritty (in a good way).
dafack01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Two more suggestions

For a smoother version of traditional Tele tone and great versatility, try the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro.

For a fat yet open sounding rock and blues pickup, try the Harmonic Design Super 90.

These are my two favorite pickups these days.

Good luck!

Kris
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
DrB
Tele-Meister

I am one of them guys over from the SD forum ultimate tele thread. Have fralin blues special, SDJD, (also am "safe-keeping" a friend's A2P), rio grande muy grande, and a torres blues sp tele lead (not too bad afterall, it is staggered tho, not good for my uses).

I love the fralin blues. But after listening to SDJD my jaw was on the floor! Definitely the best tele lead pickup I have ever tried. A2P that I did not install yet, is a cooler JD, as far as the general wisdom over in the SD forum goes. But that needs to be verified by my own ears.

B
DrB is offline   Reply With Quote