When you split a humbucker does the single coil sound good. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

When you split a humbucker does the single coil sound good.

I am about to ready to start putting together an Esquire and I am thinking of putting a stacked humbucker in, I would like the optioned of a humbucker but I do not want to lose out on the sound when it comes to the single coil..... The single coil sound definitely comes first.

so if you have a humbucker stacked or regular and you split it for a single coil do you really get a decent single coil soundl? I am guessing a lot of it has to do with how many turns the bobbins have on them and what the output is.

In any case, can some people give me some ideas on what would be a good stacked bucker to go with that would give me excellent single coil esquire groove.

"I Ain't Got No Soul But I Got More Than Don Henley" - BHG
podboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've had several (and still have one) guitars that have split bridge humbuckers. I really like the tones for certain vintage, jangely type sounds, but if you're going for a Tele bridge sound, I haven't found a spilt bucker that will approach that kind of grind and punch.

You said that single coil tones come first, why not just drop in a great, traditional tele bridge pup?
Guitfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you were using a regular humbucker you would probably get a better sound.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've wired a dimarzio PAF and a couple of Seymour Duncan regular PAF sized HBs ('59 and jazz in the neck position) to be split, and to me the sound was disappointing and not at all the same as the sound which comes form the single coils I like. I guess it is nice to have the extra sound and it contrasts a lot with the full sound. To me the sound becomes brighter as you would hope, but thinner and weaker than what a good SC sounds like.

This is just based on 3 pickups in 2 guitars, ymmv and your ears may judge differently etc etc.
Astro1176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I think most split humbuckers sound too weak and thin. It's OK in the neck position, but not in the bridge position.

If you split a hot humbucker, the tone isn't as weak, but it still has the tone of a "hot" pickup, which I really don't care for.

Rio Grande makes some humbuckers that are really just two of their single-coil pickups combined together: Vintage Tallboy, Halfbreed, Muy Grande. They sound good split, because each coil is a standard single-coil pickup. However, I think they exert too much string pull compared to a normal humbucker. I had to really lower the pickups on my guitar otherwise they cause a "warbly" sound when you are playing high notes on the high E-string.

My Reverend Guitar (one of the discontinued Danelectro-like models made in the USA) has a decent coil split sound. But those pickups are supposedly Reverend-designed and not for sale.

I think Eric Johnson used to use one of Dimarzios noiseless "single-coil" pickups (a stacked humbucker) in coil-split mode. I think he said that just having the second coil without even using it seems to reduce the noise quite a bit.

I never tried these, but they look interesting:

- Joe Barden two-tone
http://www.joebarden.com/main.php?se...20HB%20TwoTone

- Dommenget Double Bucker:
http://www.guitarmaker.de/patent.html

- Lindy Fralin Unbucker
http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp
clintonb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You can get much better results with a humbucker that has one coil tapped about halfway through. On an 8k, that would be 6k. Doesn't sound just like a Tele bridge but it's much, much closer than 4k.
Zhangliqun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You might want to look at keeping the single coils but use a 4 way switch to combine the two pickups in series, which is a humbucker type tone.

I like SOME pickups when they are split.

Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz are quite nice, but they aren't 'real' single coils.
It depends on what you are shooting for really.

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I am really looking for something that is going to nail that single coil Telecaster Esquire sound, It seems like I am just going to go with a single coil.... If I could have found something that did bother well then that would be fantastic, If I could find something that did the Tele bridge tone and the humbucker was there as something extra then I would have been very happy, but I am not willing to sacrifice the single Tele bridge sound.

This is my first Esquire and I want it to do the Esquire thing very well. To any one that is reading this and knows a single coil Tele Bridge pickup that is just heaven for a Tele or Esquire then please let me know. This is a single coil, not a humbucker that splits.

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day, when everyone was spliting humbuckers I worked with a guy that claimed he could hear that the sound of the pickup was effected even when both coils were on. He would always advise his customers to avoid coil split switching and even discouraged the use of 4 conductor wiring. He could hear the wire run and switch,in his opinion, and it was a bad thing.
Its been my experience that coil cut isn't of much use to Me.
Curious about folks using multi-taps in way overwound Tele bridge pickups though.
Aren't there several custom winders offering multi-tap , P90 vibe , tele bridge pickups ?

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My experience isn't directly helpful for the Tele bridge position, but:

The stock DH-1 neck humbucker in my Fat Tele sounds really nice split. Sounds like a good Tele single-coil tone to my ears.

I've also got a Duncan Lil '59 in the bridge position, but have never tried it split on its own. Instead, I've got it set to split in conjunction with the middle pickup (a Fralin Strat pickup) that I've added. Same with the DH-1 in the neck. Both buckers do a pretty grid "in-between" strat sound when split with the middle pickup.

I also have a Duncan JB in a Strat copy, and it splits pretty well--sounds like a workable Strat bridge single-coil. I think you need a fairly high-ouput humbucker, so that when split, it splits to something like a normal single-coil outpuat. Either that or one of the buckers that is designed to split unequally, like the aforementioned Fralin Unbucker. Here's the Unbucker description from Fralin:

"In our Unbucker, we wind the screw coil stronger than the slug coil. This makes the pickup sound a little more single coil, but the best reason to do this is for coil tapping. When tapped the stronger coil is active as opposed to half a pickup. Our best selling set of these is 7.5K neck (4.5-3) and 8.5 Bridge (5-3.5) 3 conductor lead with a Vintage Hot reverse middle in-between. (Humb.-single-Humb.).

Combining the two coils gives a total ohm reading or approximate output to compare to normal humbuckers."
FatTeleTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have no personal experience but there is the Duncan P-Rails...
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Does a humbucker sound good when coil-shunt (single coil playing)?
It certainly can, and I use that tone all the time on my Gibsons.

Can a coil-shunted humbucker sound like an Esquire (Tele) bridge pup?
Not any that I have ever seen or heard.

Old June 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Eddie View Post
Does a humbucker sound good when coil-shunt (single coil playing)?
It certainly can, and I use that tone all the time on my Gibsons.

Can a coil-shunted humbucker sound like an Esquire (Tele) bridge pup?
Not any that I have ever seen or heard.
Deaf Eddie this is exactly what I was trying to get at when I mentioned I wanted it to sound like an Esquire (Tele Bridge), I use to have a PRS and put 59 and JB in it with the rotary switch and the single coil stuff sounded good but not a sound that I want in this project. I also do not want a "normal" humbucker, I wanted a single coil that would fit in a vintage 3 barrel style bridge.

As far as pickup choice I have it down to two pickups, a Don Mare 3 speed Sting Ray or the Bill Lawrence Keystone bridge. I will probably get the Keystone because of price (and they sound freakin great), The Sting Ray cost an awful lot but the real reason I am not getting it mainly because I think there is a such thing as two many selections of tone on one guitar..... you would have the three sounds from the pickup it self plus the three tone control settings for each of those three sounds..... I think it will turn into more of a switching fest when I practice them just sitting down and playing.

My Alder body just came in today and the Keystone will go into that, maybe my Pine Body will also be an esquire with the Don Mare Sting Ray?

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I really wish someone would make a single coil sized humbucker for the Tele that would sound decent when split. To me and for what I want to do, that would be the perfect bridge pickup. Apparently the laws of physics make this an impossible feat or else it would have happened by now.
Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
I really wish someone would make a single coil sized humbucker for the Tele that would sound decent when split. To me and for what I want to do, that would be the perfect bridge pickup. Apparently the laws of physics make this an impossible feat or else it would have happened by now.
I had asked about this in an email to the Lawrences, and got an answer back from Becky suggesting that maybe there was some kind of circuit that Bill was going to publish that would accomplish what you (and I and probably a lot of other people) are looking for. The Lawrence double rail does not have the leads for splitting or parallel wiring. My further attempts to extract information on what they were suggesting have been fruitless. I think it may have something to do with the Q-filter, but I don't know. Maybe I just need to call them and see if I can nail it down.
930vet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930vet View Post
I had asked about this in an email to the Lawrences, and got an answer back from Becky suggesting that maybe there was some kind of circuit that Bill was going to publish that would accomplish what you (and I and probably a lot of other people) are looking for. The Lawrence double rail does not have the leads for splitting or parallel wiring. My further attempts to extract information on what they were suggesting have been fruitless. I think it may have something to do with the Q-filter, but I don't know. Maybe I just need to call them and see if I can nail it down.
Heck Yeah!!! I think everyone needs to call until they tell us or come on here and give us the info.

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There's no split humbucker that will sound just like a Tele bridge. The Tele coil is wider than one humbucker coil, has rod magnets and a steel baseplate. They're just different critters. The best you can hope for is something Tele-like. A split Stag Mag (alnico rod humbucker from Duncan) would probably get you as close as you're going to get.
Zhangliqun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you want to sound like a Tele, get a Tele. There really is no good way to fake it.
petebradt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

What you can do to make a 'split' humbucker usable is to run the wire that dumps the coil when you split it through a resistor. 2 to 4 Kohm is what I've used (I think resistors are measured in Kohms...it was about 3.5 'somethings').
What this does is to only dump a percentage of the coil when you split it so you end up with a coil and a half or whatever. The end result is somewhat single coil-sounding but with some meat left on it.

Cheap, easy and reversible.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

My experience is that a full, low output humbucker sounds much more Tele-like than any split one. I'm not saying it's spot on, but you can get much closer than you would think.

Here's a little solo I played over getbent's great backing track, it's the full bridge humbucker of my Jet King, into a Roland Cube 30, tweed model: http://www.box.net/shared/u50tdbahe0

Roli is offline   Reply With Quote