P90 pot and cap values? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

P90 pot and cap values?

Hi All,

I'd posted this in the home depot, but perhaps it's better here...

I'm working on a dual p-90 and it's getting close to wiring time. I have 2 P-90's running 7.64 K for the the neck and 6.72 K for the bridge so they are not overwound.

I've used 500K pots for tone and volume on P-90's before, with pretty plain jane 220 uF caps.

Anyone tried anything different and interesting?

Cheers

Murray

mkhhunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Have you tired 250K Audio Pots and .047 Caps?
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzboy View Post
Have you tired 250K Audio Pots and .047 Caps?
Not with P90's, have with regular tele singles though.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

First, switch the pickups so the one with more windings (thus louder and darker) is in the bridge position, otherwise the neck pickup will be comparatively too loud and too muddy/dark. The classic choice would be 500K CTS audio pots for both tone and volume, with a .022uf cap for the bridge pickup and a .015uf cap or even a .010uf cap for the neck pickup (again because the neck pickup will be darker and louder sounding given its position on the string). I like paper in oil caps like the new Jensens or old Sprague black beauties, or the new Russian ones that are sold under the Luxe brand-- the PIO caps give a fatter, less clinical , less grainy sound when the tone control is rolled off compared to ceramic or polyester or polypropylene caps. There are lots of people here who will insist that it's impossible for me to like the tone better with PIO caps, but they're wrong about what I can hear. If you find the guitar is overall too bright, you could go to smaller 300K pots, but I don't know of too many P90s that would sound better that way.
Wayne Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Alexander View Post
First, switch the pickups so the one with more windings (thus louder and darker) is in the bridge position, otherwise the neck pickup will be comparatively too loud and too muddy/dark. The classic choice would be 500K CTS audio pots for both tone and volume, with a .022uf cap for the bridge pickup and a .015uf cap or even a .010uf cap for the neck pickup (again because the neck pickup will be darker and louder sounding given its position on the string). I like paper in oil caps like the new Jensens or old Sprague black beauties, or the new Russian ones that are sold under the Luxe brand-- the PIO caps give a fatter, less clinical , less grainy sound when the tone control is rolled off compared to ceramic or polyester or polypropylene caps. There are lots of people here who will insist that it's impossible for me to like the tone better with PIO caps, but they're wrong about what I can hear. If you find the guitar is overall too bright, you could go to smaller 300K pots, but I don't know of too many P90s that would sound better that way.

Yeah I was going to suggest the Paper in oil route with Luxe, Jensen (Angela), Vitamin Q (All Parts or Specialty Guitars) or Vitamin T (Mojotone)
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks! How would that work with different capacitor values for the different pickups with only one tone pot?

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The same factors apply to a single tone pot. Bigger cap values give a darker tone when the tone knob is turned to the bassiest position, and sound very slightly thicker with the tone knob turned to the brightest position, smaller cap values are brighter overall. You'll have to experiment with values to see what sounds best to you. Hamer, for instance, used a .010uf cap on the single tone control in the mid-1990s Hamer Special which had two P90s, one volume, one tone. That worked fine, but you may want darker or brighter core tone.
Wayne Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

P90

I just did a vintage P90 Tele.
500k pots.
.01 PIO tone cap
100 picofarad treble retention cap.

JJ