help! my bridge plate is buzzing like crazy when i touch it... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

help! my bridge plate is buzzing like crazy when i touch it...

i just did some rewiring on my tele. i have a nocaster bridge and a don mare stelly neck. i had to wire the bridge pickup with the wires swapped to avoid the dreaded out of phase middle position. but there's a problem. the neck pickup sounds great, and the middle and bridge work, but the bridge position hums like crazy. when i touch the bridge it pops a bit and the buzzing lowers some. also, when i touch the control plate. when i run my fingers along the strings, there is a nasty distortion.

what's going on

edit: i should mention that the bridge pickup has a base plate, so it should be grounded without the wire under the bridge. up until the the new neck pickup, there was never a problem there.

Old February 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Since you switched the wires on your bridge pup...you have to now modify the jumper to the plate, with what is now the ground wire.
mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellecaster View Post
Since you switched the wires on your bridge pup...you have to now modify the jumper to the plate, with what is now the ground wire.
i'm a novice to all this. could you explain in lay man terms? i'm not sure what jumper to the plate is, or what ground wire we're talking about. i just follow diagrams

also, if i hook the bridge pickup wires normally, and swap the wires on the neck pickup instead, the neck pickup buzzes the same way when i touch it.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

thats due to Hot Running into the Bridge from the copper coated elevator base plates adjusting screws,

take and clip away the bare metal ground wire from the base plate (only) ( not the black cloth wire from the eyelet ground )
~next run a separate ground wire to that base plate and it should all be back to normal -

its like the neck - when you switch Ground wires to "hot" you must take out the ground jumper wire to the necks metal cover or in your special case the "base Plate"

usually we only reverse wires at the neck pickup on a Tele-
this is because - sometimes the bridge pickup will not stop grounding out to the base plate
- as it was- the old Fenders will sometimes ground the magnets to the plate - this happend from those pesky partial shorts in the start wires of the fine wire coil itself.
Don Mare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mare View Post
thats due to Hot Running into the Bridge from the copper coated elevator base plates adjusting screws,

take and clip away the bare metal ground wire from the base plate (only) ( not the black cloth wire from the eyelet ground )
~next run a separate ground wire to that base plate and it should all be back to normal -

its like the neck - when you switch Ground wires to "hot" you must take out the ground jumper wire to the necks metal cover or in your special case the "base Plate"

usually we only reverse wires at the neck pickup on a Tele-
this is because - sometimes the bridge pickup will not stop grounding out to the base plate
- as it was- the old Fenders will sometimes ground the magnets to the plate - this happend from those pesky partial shorts in the start wires of the fine wire coil itself.
boy, that sounds messy. this bridge pup is the old collectible one that goes for like $250 on ebay. don't wanna screw with it. i'm gonna put the bridge pup wires back to normal and switch the stelly wires. is there a simpler way to keep the neck pickup from buzzing when i touch it?

Old February 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Don't you live in Utah? I'd fix it for you for free just for the heck of meeting a fellow TDPRIer.

Old February 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by twangcaster1 View Post
Don't you live in Utah? I'd fix it for you for free just for the heck of meeting a fellow TDPRIer.
yep. that'd be cool. can we fix it without modding the pickups? like just with wiring?

Old February 6th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
is there a simpler way to keep the neck pickup from buzzing when i touch it?
same trick -- take off the bare wire that connects the coils ground over to the cover - look at the bottom of the pickup - see the shiny solder joint in the middle? - thats hiding a small bare wire - heat that joint and lift that wire away from the covers bent over metal holding tab -- next solder a whole new section (piece) of wire. one thats at least 13" long ~~~ and run it on under with the others, so it runs on over to the cavity - where it then gets soldered to the back of any pot , it acts as a ground for that neck pickups metal cover.

no more buzz

Old February 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
yep. that'd be cool. can we fix it without modding the pickups? like just with wiring?
Yep. Just wiring.

Old February 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Here's a Picture of what the folks are trying to explain for you.

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Here's a Picture of what the folks are trying to explain for you.
Nice picture, ( i copied it and save it- very helpful indeed!- for future customers)

: but it shows the cover taps on 180* out - normally on all fenders we see just one tab (centered) on the cloth wire on hook up side of the bobbin ~ and so the remaining two tabs from the metal pickup cover are always on the non hook up side of the bobbin ...
actually the cover will not fit on as shown - as the tabs would not bend all the way around the angled part of the bobbin

Add section of wire to that metal covers tab that comes thru that center hole - thats located between the two eyelets that the cloth braided wires solder to

But First:
Remove this section of bare wire that I highlighted with a Red marker - cut away that section of bare wire ( simply clip it away is the safest - that way you do not heat the coils black wire thats soldered into the tiny brass eyelet along with the coils very fine hair wire - thats actually your pickups "magnet coil~ start wire"

Old February 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

thanks, guys. great, helpful pics and charts. worked like a charm, and now everything sounds great!

Old February 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
thanks, guys. great, helpful pics and charts. worked like a charm, and now everything sounds great!
We all Love Happy endings....don't we.......

Old February 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
We all Love Happy endings....don't we.......
i actually had a dream about an asian masseuse last night

then i woke up right before the good part and saw my wife looking over the side of the bed. i asked her what she saw, and she was asleep! she was really embarrassed when i asked her about it the next morning. she finally confessed she was dreaming little fraggles (remember that show?) were driving tonka trucks around on the floor with balls of yarn in the truck beds. she was picking out the ones she wanted to make a new sweater WTF, honey?